Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Free......
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Free...... Reply with quote

I have a Zeiss Pro-Tessar 35mm f4 (unsure what mount- it's small bayonet). The focus ring spins freely and the glass has some rainbow looking stuff around edges (maybe oil???). Comes with original Zeiss Ikon plastic bubble case.
If you want it, just pay for shipping and it's yours. First come first served Laughing

Can post pics tonight if you want to see it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro-Tessar lenses are for movie cameras Wink

Indeed, nice offer !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find they're for the Contaflex.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking Contaflex since the bubble says Zeiss Ikon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this sounds like the front lens components for the Contaflex.

I have a Contaflex, but unfortunately it is the Pantar version, which has its own lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainbow edges- oil????

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad309 wrote:
rainbow edges- oil????

Nope, this is lens separation.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Contaflex IV which could use this lens, but Sebastien just gave
the pronouncement of death. Sad

Thanks for offering,

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens separation looks worse than it's optical influence and won't spread like the dreaded fungus.....................

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Lens separation looks worse than it's optical influence and won't spread like the dreaded fungus.....................

I have the exact same thing on my Jupiter 11A, but it's less prominent. I suppose it might act as an additional aperture (maybe reducing T stop and actual F stop of the lens in this way? any thoughts?) and it does show in OOF circles, but is otherwise invisible.

I at first thought it was oil from the aperture or helical mechanism due to it's "whirling motion" resembling the aperture blade opening. from the front of the lens it seems almost opaque, and through the lens it appears ~80% transparent.

you can see it here:
[img]http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jupiter11aallangleslofiue4.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're seeing around the edges is the reflection off the surface of the glass where the cement has failed. Where the elements are bonded together there is no (or more correctly, a tremendously reduced) reflection. But the reflection represents only about 4% of the light per surface, so with 2 exposed surfaces it's reflecting 8%. The remaining 92% comes through unchanged, and that difference is not enough for the film to detect. The 8% reflection IS, however, enough to cause flare when shooting against the light.

There is no real fix that I know of for this cement failure, as the cement cannot be softened by any normal means. However, I and a number of other people have successfully made the symptoms disappear by wicking thin oil into the gap. Like the cement, the oil has a refractive index similar to glass, and where it flows in, the reflections disappear and the lens becomes cosmetically and optically perfect again. Such a lens is not repaired in the proper sense of the word, and should not be sold as anything other than what it is.... but the treatment will last for years, and can be repeated if necessary; and I consider an optically and cosmetically perfect lens to be superior either to one with separation or to one that has been destroyed in a failed attempt to recement it.