Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Four landscape 28/3.5 - FF test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Four landscape 28/3.5 - FF test Reply with quote

The contenders are:
* Olympus OM G.Zuiko Auto-W 28/3.5 - Cheap, easily available, version with no MC
* Asahi SMC Pentax K 28/3.5 - Relatively expensive, not so available
* Minolta MD II W.Rokkor 28/3.5 - Cheap, easily available, plasticky
* Asahi S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5 - Cheap, easily available, perfect build quality

All in near-minty state, no visible damage done.

Shots taken in RAW and developed using neutral settings & mild sharpening. Used a Sony A7 on a tripod & IR remote. Exposure settings: 1/15, f/11, ISO 100.

Result commentary:
As expected, center of the frame is fine. So, let's focus on the corner results:

* The Zuiko is actually visibly wider than 28mm. It got nearly no CA with lower contrast (?). Somehow, the shots were overexposed by 1+ EV using the same test settings.
* The Pentax K has proven that its performance is outstanding. No CA, high contrast, high resolution.
* The MD Rokkor features horrible CA combined with high resolution. The CA can be partially corrected in post but still, the missing information can't be fully restored.
* The Takumar performs accordingly to its age. Loads of CA and low resolution.

Full resolution samples:

Olympus OM G.Zuiko Auto-W 28/3.5
Asahi SMC Pentax K 28/3.5
Minolta MD II W.Rokkor 28/3.5
Asahi S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ... thank you Smile

Coincidently, despite the 28mm being a favourite of mine, I don't have any at f/3.5 though there is a Fujinon in the post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite interesting, thanks for posting. Maybe I should also repeat my test with the A7R II. On the other hand such comparisons didn't really show anything new compared to my old tests done on APS-C.
I'm rather surprised by the bad performance of the Minolta lens. My F2.8 version is much better when stopped down a little bit to something like F3.5.
Would be curios to see if the Pentax-K lens would be able to beat my CV 28/1.9 lens at same aperture. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
I'm rather surprised by the bad performance of the Minolta lens. My F2.8 version is much better when stopped down a little bit to something like F3.5.
Yes, I was also surprised by the Rokkor when I first used it on a trip. Its resolution is very good but CA kills it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Pentax K 28/3.5.
I have three of them 🙄

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Four landscape 28/3.5 - FF test Reply with quote

y wrote:
* Asahi S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5As expected, center of the frame is fine. So, let's focus on the corner results:...

* The Takumar performs accordingly to its age. Loads of CA and low resolution.

Yep, my experience too. On top of that I've found it personally to be 'meh' in what it produces overall. Nothing more damning that 'meh' for a vintage lens. Disappointing, and strange as 35/3.5 is excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Pentax K 28/3.5 is truly excellent.
The other one in that series to keep a lookout for is the Pentax K 30mm f2.8.
Two gems from Pentax
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I have three of them 🙄

I wonder if all 3 of them perform same, as I've read some times ago, a guy had to buy various to get the best of a bunch.....and that's not really nice in a 250 Euros lens,which most of the times one cannot return...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
I have three of them 🙄

I wonder if all 3 of them perform same, as I've read some times ago, a guy had to buy various to get the best of a bunch.....and that's not really nice in a 250 Euros lens,which most of the times one cannot return...

Unless the lenses themselves have been rough-handled, then there would be no reason to expect anything other than similar results from each.
Pentax lenses of this era and earlier were all built to a very high standard, and quality control was excellent.
Virtually anything from Canon, Nikon, Pentax during the halcyon days of film in the era we are talking about, had top quality products that can still perform well today.
T

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
I have three of them 🙄

They perform all excellent. And all three look hardly used.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

It seems to be even less common than the K 28/3.5, at least in Europe.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Yeah, I think that lens was Japan only.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
y wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Yeah, I think that lens was Japan only.

Yes, quite possibly.
It is not common, but a great lens if you can locate one
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned 3 of those lenses (no experience with the Oly) and I would generally agree with those conclusions. My Pentax K 28mm 3.5 didn't impress me as much as I was expecting though, perhaps I had a bad copy. I was pretty disappointed in the Takumar, it's beautifully built but the huge field curvature killed any interest I had in that lens. My wife ended up taking it for her Spotmatic film camera where it's shortcoming aren't as obvious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SMC Pentax-m 28mm f3.5 is no slouch either and easier to find than the K and cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 200 € + asked for the K 28mm f/3,5 is too much, even if it seems to be a gem.
I have the Zuiko and find it very sharp on the A7. It's one of the very few wide angle I have which is 100% reliable. A keeper for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:
I think 200 € + asked for the K 28mm f/3,5 is too much, even if it seems to be a gem.
I have the Zuiko and find it very sharp on the A7. It's one of the very few wide angle I have which is 100% reliable. A keeper for me.

Zuiko is certainly sharp and nice. Given its price and availability it's really great.

However, you gotta crop your pics a bit - the absolute corners never get completely sharp. This is not the case with Pentax K. Here is an example - shot handheld using A7, Zuiko 28/35 at f/8. https://abload.de/image.php?img=dsc006869xe2o.jpg

Also IMO nothing can beat the build quality of Pentax K line. It's super smooth and tight.

Regarding the Pentax K price... It's certainly not low, but it delivers. FYI I got mine as Buy Now on Ebay for 160 USD including JP=>EU shipping. It's in excellent shape with original caps.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuiko's sample look overexposed compared to the others.
I think mine is sharp from edge to edge... Will check thought.

Pentax lenses look and feel nice but they are quite uncommon and usually overpriced... Wanted to buy 24mm and 50mm macro, both returned due to fungus.
I have a special silver version of the Zuiko 28mm and it's mechanically great.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the Nikkor 28mm 2.8 would do against the mentioned up here..... I have it sitting on the F3 ,but never was tempted to try it digital . If I'm right , there are people saying ,this was one of the sharpest lens of Nikon those days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:

Pentax lenses look and feel nice but they are quite uncommon and usually overpriced...

The sample is ~ +1EV overexposed compared to others - the light conditions were the same as were the exposure settings.

The Pentax K lenses seem to be mostly available in Japan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
MMouse wrote:

Pentax lenses look and feel nice but they are quite uncommon and usually overpriced...

The sample is ~ +1EV overexposed compared to others - the light conditions were the same as were the exposure settings.

The Pentax K lenses seem to be mostly available in Japan.

I have no trouble findinf K lenses in Netherlands actually. They came with the first bayonet cameras from Pentax. They were not produced for very long though. The 30mm f/3.5 usually turns up in Japan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another potential contender in this category is the Konica Hexanon 28mm 3.5, a dirt cheap lens.

I have one and I've enjoyed shooting with it but I haven't put it through nearly enough testing to form a final opinion.