Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Forgotten and found again (Kiev inside :-) )
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Forgotten and found again (Kiev inside :-) ) Reply with quote

Hi,

just wanted to tell you a little story. As I become more and more adicted to manual focus lenses, I remembered a few weeks ago, that I forgot about some stuff i have bought many years ago.

Almost 20 years ago I had to sell my complete Hasselblad equipment because I needed the money. But I regreted that a lot, so I was looking arround for a cheaper replacement. As I was in Athens, Greece, a lot at that time, I came across the russian fleamarket, which existed at that time. Lots of emigrants where bringing caviar, tools, stoneware, porcelain, silver and the like to that fleamarket to make some money when they arrived in Greece. Off course they also brought cameras and lenses Very Happy .

I found a nice Kiev 88 in like new condition and met the guy selling me this camera a few times in the future and bought lenses and other stuff. As I was still short on money I bought a cheap aluminum toolbox and some ugly cheap foam and made myself a camera case.

I left this case with camera and lenses in storage in the cellar for many years and now remembered that I must still have it. But - I didn't find it Confused . Looked for it many times but it had dissapeared. Some days ago I was searching for something else in the storage of my company's premises and what did I see?. Yes, the DIY camera case:

_MG_7764.jpg by pictorlucis, on Flickr

_MG_7767.jpg by pictorlucis, on Flickr

To be continued....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet........

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what is in that case?

Obviously we have a Kiev 88 with 2 magazines and a polaroid back.

Lenses:

Volna-3 2.8/80
Vega-28B 2.8/120
Mir-26B 3.5/45
Telear-5B 5.6/250

Konverter K-6B 2x

Lens Hood

Some Filters

The Variosix F obviously was a remain from my previous Hasselblad equipement...

I bought a Kiev88 to EOS adapter which arrived some days ago. Did not have the time to try out the lenses as most of them had lots of dust inside and it took me some time to clean them.

The only test shots that I was able to do are with the Vega on a short walk today:

DOF:

_MG_7751.jpg by pictorlucis, on Flickr

wide open, ISO 400, 1/250sec

3-D, bokeh:

_MG_7742.jpg by pictorlucis, on Flickr

wide open, ISO 400, 1/1000sec

Colors:

_MG_7738.jpg by pictorlucis, on Flickr

wide open, ISO 400, 1/400sec

B/W:

_MG_7732.jpg by pictorlucis, on Flickr

wide open, ISO 400, 1/200sec

All taken handheld with a 5D MarkII, raw, no PP except standart values in LR.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples. It all looks in great condition too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! It took me a long while to build a complete set like that for my kiev 88...

And you just find one! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow! It took me a long while to build a complete set like that for my kiev 88...

And you just find one!

A very nice discovery indeed Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find Smile Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great find (then and now)

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so pretty, like a gemstone. Congrats.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:

And you just find one! Laughing

well, it took almost 20 years in my case Very Happy

@ all

Thank you for your kind comments.

I am quite impressed from the IQ of the Vega, especially from the 3-D capabilities. I did not expect that. However, from the very few test shots taken, it seems that its qualities show only at closer distances. At larger distances I am not so much impressed, but I may just need to do a bit more testing...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice surprise!

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strong colors from MIR-26B 3.5/45mm. Wide open, ISO800, 1/125sec, handheld:

Last edited by Morfeus on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those colors sure do pop! Sometimes the Mir gets a bad reputation because of the amount of lemons present, much like the Zenitar 16mm. It does have considerable distortion but that's just a characteristic of its design. Looks like you have a great copy though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They definately pop. What a pity that I have to convert them to sRGB from Adobe RGB so that users of stupid browsers can also enjoy them - sort of... Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, 2 test shots with the Volna-3 80mm f/2.8. Wide open, ISO 800:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really start to like the Vega a lot:

Vega Vega-28B 2.8/120 @ 5.6, 1/125sec

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...that's a great story. What are the Kiev's like for reliability? Anything to look out for if looking when buying one?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning image! Congrats!

Most important rule buy from a photographer, seller who say clearly , working copy tested with film , other ways risky as all old camera.