Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Forbidden Peak from Inspiration Glacier
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Forbidden Peak from Inspiration Glacier Reply with quote

A friend and I had climbed a mountain called Eldorado Peak a few years ago. We had hoped to lose elevation to get to timberline for a camp, but darkness was descending rapidly, and that was not a good time for traversing a crevassed glacier! Wink

So we camped on the Inspiration Glacier, with a nice view of Forbidden Peak across the basin.

This image was taken right out my tent door with the camera resting on my backpack. It was interesting that the sun was behind my position and still shining on the upper part of Forbidden. So...it was a "sunset and moonrise" shot. A bit of vignetting with the polarizer, but I was tired enough to not care at the time, and I don't think the vignetting is too harsh anyway.

The sun's extreme angle was shining through a lot of altocumulus clouds, and so the scene was cast with some warm bluish-purple light. What is nice, to me, is that the Velvia picked up the colors exactly as I remembered them.

There is no denying that Velvia can be too strong of an emulsion at times, but in scenes like this one, it excelled in "picking up" the proper intensity of the colors. So...Velvia, like any other film, has its own characteristics that can be useful in the right situation.

My notes indicate that I used the Sunny 16 rules, as I had no meter. I took my "reading" off the transition between shadow and light on the glacier at the left of Forbidden Peak. This looked to be equivalent to "light shade", so I took the "sunny f:16, 1/60th" and opened up two stops to "light shade f:8, 1/60th". I was fortunate, and it worked.

Yashica Mat 124
f:8, 1/60th
Fuji Velvia 50

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful strong colours.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A magic moment in a magic place. Hopefully you have this picture to make it last. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Beautiful strong colours.

Thank you Richard! The colors ARE strong, but extremely true to what was happening during that sunset/moonrise.

It might not be everyone's "cup of tea" because of those colors. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:
A magic moment in a magic place. Hopefully you have this picture to make it last. Smile

Hello Juanma: Well, I have it on a hard drive and on a CD, so it should last for a while digitally.

And, of course, the nice things about transparencies - they will last a LONG time in their acid-free sleeves in my binder for storage!

And, thank you for the comment. I was so tired that at the time I hardly appreciated the scene, so I am glad I took the picture, even though I didn't feel like doing so at the time! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely place, Laurence.
I enjoy a lot knowing such wonderful places that you're so kind of sharing.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with everything said. Love those colours laurence - often seen like that in the high mountains.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great image - nice colours and contrast, the composition suits the square format, and the moonrise adds a perfect finishing touch.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, Patrick, Chris:

Thanks all of you! I am glad you enjoyed getting into the mountains with this one. I was going to throw this one, but after looking at it a while on the light box, and then getting some favorable opinions from you folks, I'll go ahead and put it into an archive sleeve.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great image.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Great image.

Bob, thank you!