Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Foma 400
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Foma 400 Reply with quote

I had already decided to buy exclusively Foma film for a while instead of jumping around with different emulsions.

I saw this review of Fomapan 400:
https://emulsive.org/reviews/film-review-fomapan-400-arista-edu-ultra-400

I was interested enough to order a 100 ft roll of Fomapan 400 and some Perceptol to try out for myself.

Quoted from the above referenced review "Another lesser-known feature of Fomapan 400 is it’s near infrared sensitivity. My recipe for IR shots with this film is to dial E I6 and let the camera measure through the IR 720nm filter. This way I get quite predictable results with my Canon 50."

I will be mainly using a Pentax Spotmatic with Takumar and Tamron Adaptall lenses. Should I decide to use automatic focus for some reason I'll use a Maxxum 7 and mostly Maxxum lenses, but could use the manual lenses on that also.

I should have the film and chemistry late next week. Now I need to design and build a filtered air heated film drying cabinet.

I'll post results as I work this out. I hope to schedule my work and family so I can spend a day or two a week on photography.

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

infrared with Foma 400? I know that film personally and have good to better experience with that. Has also a roll and makes 24 to 26 expositions pieces. But for infra limitedly with SFX 200 and real with Efke nowadays can get Rollei IR 820 films. Used Hoya IR720 filter for that. On SFX 200 tried also red filter with satisfying results. Red filter was used mainly due better focusing on middle range glass. On wide one is focusing can say well maintained with such dark IR filters.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't know until I try. Thanks for the information on other films. I have not shot any infrared since the early 70's, though I have some filters. My main effort will be using Foma film.

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received A bulk 100 Ft roll of Foma ISO 400 from Freestyle today. Cost was $49.99 plus shipping. Tomorrow i will spool 20 rolls, 36 exposures each which I plan (hope) to shoot in the next 30 days or so. I plan process the film within a week of exposure. using Ilford Perceptol Developer.

I will post results in the Gallery if this works out.

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 20 rolls in 30 days, that's a lot of shooting and developing! Surprised Have fun and do post some results. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I will put a few rolls through one of the Spotmatics this weekend. Going to North West Texas to a friends lease for three days of Photography and Dove hunting.

I bought a light box to try using my Sony A65 with micro lens to Digitize negatives. Unfortunately, the model I ordered has a black grid on almost all the surface so is useless for the purpose. My 5 year old grand daughter will probably enjoy using it for tracing ETC. I will order a different model.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the bad weather and a broke car, I am way behind on shooting film. I'll be developing a few rolls next week.

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWhite214 wrote:
With all the bad weather and a broke car, I am way behind on shooting film. I'll be developing a few rolls next week.

Phil
Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: FOMAPAN 400 in 120 size Reply with quote

I found a roll of FOMAPAN 400 120 size in my fridge -- given from some-one so took it to Isle of Wight trip in my 2002 Hasselblad 501CM = i rated it 250 ASA as it was 'OLD' and processed in my Home-Made 5100-Pyro for 9 mins @ 2oC 1+100 -- the Massive Dev chart says 8.25 mins -- results were a bit DENSE after all ! Grainy as well usually 510=Pyro is finer grain -- here are a few snaps --

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in Europe Foma400 was affordable, so I used it as every day film in 35mm
Your results seem a bit grainy but tonality is OK

Brugge in the rain (2010)