Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fixing a Nikon D80
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Fixing a Nikon D80 Reply with quote

Here's the Nikon D80 I picked up, which cost me the equivalent of about $80 USD. It works, you can take images. (just)

Mirror up:

Here's a close up of the problem:

The camera had been dropped, maybe in the process of taking a photo, and the shutter has popped a blade, rendering the camera useless. (well it took photos, just)

So I got a new shutter($55 USD on ebay) and had to install it, meaning a major disassembly job!!!

Back off, exposing the sensor:

All the bits everywhere. You need to organise your parts, otherwise you don't know what went where!!!

The old shutter and the new:

The finished job:

One interesting point. Even when you change the shutter, the shutter count doesn't reset. It still reads around 5300 shutter activations in the EXIF.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Looks pretty hard !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, congrats good job. Enjoy the baby as much as you can Smile.

Good light, M.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admire your courage.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
Neat job!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT is impressive, nice one! Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked well done!!
I assume you have taken apart one of these before or was this just a "give it ago" and see if it works project??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've repaired cameras and lenses before. Did it as a part time job years ago.
I've converted an Olympus E-410 to infrared, but you only need to open up the back for that.....

But being the shutter on the D80, it's pretty much right in the middle of the camera, so you need to remove pretty much everything to get to it, so I hadn't quite done that before!!!!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy A good skill to have learned!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, well done!.
Congrats!

Jes.