Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Five 50mm lenses test - Rikenon, Revuenon, Porst, Helios
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Five 50mm lenses test - Rikenon, Revuenon, Porst, Helios Reply with quote

Hi

I decided to make quick comparison between all my 50ish lenses and here's the outcome.

Photos are JPGs straight from the 600d body (added +1 sharpness and +1 saturation more than standard picture style).

From left to right: Auto Rikenon 55mm f/1.4, Auto Revuenon 55mm f/1.7, Porst Color Reflex MC 50mm f/1.7

From left to right: Helios MC 44M-6 58mm f/2.0, Helios 44M-4 58mm f/2.0

Wide Open

Auto Rikenon f/1.4

Auto Revuenon f/1.7

Porst Color Reflex MC f/1.7

Helios MC 44M-6 f/2.0

Helios 44M-4 f/2.0

f/2.8

Auto Rikenon

Auto Revuenon

Porst Color Reflex

Helios MC 44M-6

Helios 44M-4

100% Crops of Wide Open

From left to right: Auto Rikenon f/1.4, Auto Revuenon f/1.7, Porst Color Reflex MC f/1.7

From left to right: Helios MC 44M-6 f/2.0, Helios 44M-4 f/2.0

100% Crops of f/2.0

From left to right: Auto Rikenon f/2.0, Auto Revuenon f/2.0, Porst Color Reflex MC f/2.0

From left to right: Helios MC 44M-6 f/2.0, Helios 44M-4 f/2.0

100% Crops of f/2.8

From left to right: Auto Rikenon f/2.8, Auto Revuenon f/2.8, Porst Color Reflex MC f/2.8

From left to right: Helios MC 44M-6 f/2.8, Helios 44M-4 f/2.8

It is quite clear that Rikenon is sharpest even wide open, delivers warm, vivid colours and great contrast. In this test it didn't have any trouble with flares or haze which could be noticed in 44M-6 MC Helios.

I'm thinking of selling Auto Revuenon or Porst Color Reflex, but I really can't decide which.
Auto Revuenon - seems to be sharper, delivers pleasant bokeh
Porst Color Reflex - gives warmer colours, bokeh is quite uniqe (http://forum.mflenses.com/porst-color-reflex-mc-auto-50mm-1-7-t58641,highlight,%2Bporst+%2Bcolor+%2Breflex.html) and it is really small, maybe not a pancake, but still.

However for me biggest surprise was Helios 44M-4 which was better than 44M-6 MC version in every aspect, contrast, sharpness and work under light. Before this test I thought 44M-6 is a lot better and I was wrong.

Last edited by PhantomLord on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rikenon smashes the ball out of the park in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close up sharpness and a little of bokeh

Wide Open

Auto Rikenon f/1.4

Auto Revuenon f/1.7

Porst Color Reflex MC f/1.7

Helios MC 44M-6 f/2.0

Helios 44M-4 f/2.0

f/2.8

Auto Rikenon

Auto Revuenon

Porst Color Reflex MC

Helios MC 44M-6

Helios 44M-4

100% Crops Wide Open

From left to right: Auto Rikenon 55mm f/1.4, Auto Revuenon 55mm f/1.7, Porst Color Reflex MC 50mm f/1.7

From left to right: Helios MC 44M-6 58mm f/2.0, Helios 44M-4 58mm f/2.0

100% Crops of f/2.8

From left to right: Auto Rikenon f/2.8, Auto Revuenon f/2.8, Porst Color Reflex MC f/2.8

From left to right: Helios MC 44M-6 f/2.8, Helios 44M-4 f/2.8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you......I love lens comparisons although should these lenses only be tested for close up work. And it also helps the forum when some one googles info about a particular lens and comes here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,

I wanted to make landscape test as well, but view from my window is pretty dull and I don't have time today to go for a walk. Nevertheless I hope I could manage to make some landscape tests as well in the future.

I rely on forum.mflenses.com very much when buying new lenses so I would like to give something for others. It's really shame I don't have much time after work to take some photos and post them here.

Cheers
Mateusz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:

Really? The 44M-4 looks a tiny touch sharper than the Rikenon in the crops on my monitor.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
parabellumfoto wrote:

Really? The 44M-4 looks a tiny touch sharper than the Rikenon in the crops on my monitor.

X2, my perception is the same, Helios 44M-4 looks sharper and more color saturated of all samples,

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree, on my monitor Rikenon is more contrasty, has more vivid colours and is sharper than any other lens in test.
Take into consideration that wide open for Rikenon is 1.4 and for Helios 2.0, so naturally Helios has bigger DOF than Rikenon. However I still think that wide open as well as at the same f-stops Rikenon is sharper than Helios.

Anyway I made this test and fall in love in Rikenon but to my surprise found out that Helios 44M-4 is quite a lens as well, even in comparison to Porst and Revuenon. It's a shame really that Helios works not so good under direct light.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantomlord,
Well, and I disagree with you, and what I made is this:
I download both full jpeg's: Rikenon and Helios44-M4 to my PC. After that, I choose a small area - as you did - showing details in both photos. But I choose another sample than yours: one that can reveal resolution in the middle of the scale, and Helios seems to be sharper to me. I prefer to show you samples than words:

Rikenon 1.4 crop in 100%

rikenon_crop por Renato Augusto Salles, no Flickr

Helios 44m-4 - crop in 100%

helios_crop por Renato Augusto Salles, no Flickr

None of the images above were barely touched in PS: just crops and nothing more. I'm basing my opinion in the samples you sent, but also in the images above,

HTH,

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renato, well you're right, but not entirely, because you compared two crops of wide open shots which would be ok if both Rikenon and Helios have the same f-number wide open, but in this example Rikenon is set to f/1.4 and Helios to f/2.0 so Helios will be looking sharper through image simply because it has 'wider' DOF. That's why I crop part of the images where I set my focus point.
I compared the same portion of image as you but on f/2.0 and f/2.8 on both lenses and must say that Rikenon is still sharper and more contrasty to me than Helios:).

I'm not trying to argue, don't get me wrong, but I think I have right on that point. If not, prove me wrong and I'll be happy to change my mind Smile.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the Helios 44-4 is the winner! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord,

I have only my eyes, but you have everything: all the process, I mean.

As you wrote:
I compared the same portion of image as you but on f/2.0 and f/2.8 on both lenses and must say that Rikenon is still sharper and more contrasty to me than Helios Smile .

... please post the samples and we can go further in this,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
I disagree, on my monitor Rikenon is more contrasty, has more vivid colours and is sharper than any other lens in test.
Take into consideration that wide open for Rikenon is 1.4 and for Helios 2.0, so naturally Helios has bigger DOF than Rikenon. However I still think that wide open as well as at the same f-stops Rikenon is sharper than Helios.

Anyway I made this test and fall in love in Rikenon but to my surprise found out that Helios 44M-4 is quite a lens as well, even in comparison to Porst and Revuenon. It's a shame really that Helios works not so good under direct light.

I'd like to see these two lenses put up against the Nikkor 50mm F2. If you ever get a chance to do this comparison it would be of great interest to me personally. I'm sold on that particular lens on sharpness. I reckon it's the sharpest lens ever but I don't know if this is actually true or not. I have seen other people say the same thing on the Internet about this lens.

Both of these lenses here are sharp but I personally think the Rikenon is the better one by a slim margin.

We should do a competition - the sharpest lens!