Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First Test Shots: Bronica ETRSi with Kodak Portra 160
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: First Test Shots: Bronica ETRSi with Kodak Portra 160 Reply with quote

I took my new (to me) Bronica ETRSi down to Galveston last week and shot a couple rolls of Kodak Portra 160. I rated it at ISO 100 because the consensus seems to be that the film's excellent latitude will take care of the slight overexposure of the highlights and will prevent the shadows from clumping up. This technique worked well for me. The exposures of the Harleys were taken at 1/500 @ f/8.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Micheal, great colors and really sharp. Wow. Nice pics.
Congrats.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez! This is the camera! Excellent!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What scanner do you use ?

Shot last week with my "new old" Rolleiflex SL66 the first test film. When I look to your images I can´t wait until the film is back from the development.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my god! Shocked

that's perfect!! congrats!

tf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys -- I am very fond of this camera.

Rolf wrote:
What scanner do you use ?

Shot last week with my "new old" Rolleiflex SL66 the first test film. When I look to your images I can´t wait until the film is back from the development.

Wink

I use an Epson 4990 and the Epson Scan software. Scans were at an indicated 2400 ppi. I must admit that I did some post processing. Hey it's film! Cool Mostly dust removal and some oil stains on the pavement in the motorcycle shots. Just a bit of contrast enhancement and also a slight amount of high-pass sharpening.

I have a roll of Ektar 100 loaded in the camera right now, but no subjects to shoot at this time. The weather is overcast and cold. It would be interesting to compare the Ektar to the Portra in terms of color, contrast, and sharpness. It would also be interesting to compare both of those emulsions to Tri-X Pro (400TX). I had excellent results with the 400TX I shot in my Yashica Mat at the same time I took these photos. Right now, I'd have to give the nod in sharpness to the Yashica Mat over the Bronica, but I don't think it would be fair to do so unless I'm shooting the same film out of each.

Rolf, I'm looking forward to seeing results from your Rollei SL66. I've often thought that the SL66 was the premier 6x6 camera.

I used to own a Bronica copy of the SL66 -- cosmetic at least -- the EC-TL. That camera took amazingly sharp photos. And I wouldn't be surprised if the SL66's photos are even better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
oh my god! Shocked

that's perfect!! congrats!

tf

+1 !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Right now, I'd have to give the nod in sharpness to the Yashica Mat over the Bronica, ***

Maybe so, but I can't equal the IQ in a shot, using the standard 75mm lens on my ETRS, with any of my 35mm lenses.....of course like for like.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing like a big bore camera with some 160 speed film Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love these shots, Michael. The colors and detail are astounding!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great results!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good! Love the colors in first pic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Bronica is the best!
Soon i will post some b&w pictures with my new 50mm lens Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent colors and sharpness perfect compositions too. Is that VC or NC?
I had the same impression about the shadows having tendency to close a bit so I shot the last rolls of NC at 125. When I'll start proofing I'll evaluate the results.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

This is the NC flavor. I decided on shooting at ISO 100 after posting a question about it over at APUG. Some folks preferred shooting it at box speed, but the argument for shooting at slower speeds seemed a good one to me, and I hate it when the shadows block up because the scans usually get ugly. Besides it's been my experience that if I shoot at a somewhat reduced ISO with color print film, saturation is improved. That seems to have also been the case here as well.

Shauttra, be sure to post pics, I look forward to seeing them. Me, I have only the 75mm yet.