Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

first shoots with Helios 40 ;)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: first shoots with Helios 40 ;) Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sampler. You can see the strengths and the weakness of this lens. Poor OOF rendition (too busy), deadly sharp, nice colours Thanks

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Great sampler. You can see the strengths and the weakness of this lens. Poor OOF rendition (too busy), deadly sharp, nice colours Thanks

patrickh

I agree that the bokeh is kinda busy buy one thing i realized is it looks predictable.. These kind of lenses get under your skin after some time as you figure out the cases that make the best of its OOF effect..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am impressed. Great photos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Captures!

#13 is my favorite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive series, this lens is one of my all time favorite.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's sharp it's fantastic. When it's a little out of focus it glows, as around the little boy's hat and the old man's shoulders. When it's a long way out of focus it's ugly. I'd like to have known the apertures for these shots - do you still get the glow stopped down?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These shots confirm what I have always thought about this lens.
It's a very special lens. I love the "glow" that Peter mentions, but I really can't stand the highlight bokeh, it makes me dizzy.
This lens polarizes, either you love it or you would never spend that much money on it. I am in the latter group.
If I could get this lens for the price of a J9, I would take it, but since it costs three times as much, I'll stick with the J9 for the glow.
But it's nice that you like it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten

Totally agree with your main points, but I would just like to add that when this lens is "right" it has a quality few others have. I think that is why so many of us really love it. Frankly I throw away more than half of the pictures I take with it, but the ones I keep I really love. She's like the little girl in our nursery rhyme : "when she is good she is very very good, but when she is bad she is horrid"

Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see your point, Patrick.

patrickh wrote:
"when she is good she is very very good, but when she is bad she is horrid"

Laughing Seems to be written for our daughter. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From yesterday morning:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about looking at only people shots. Boy, old folks, stringed instrument player. Special!