Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First Post..Hellios 44-2 Manufacturing Date
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: First Post..Hellios 44-2 Manufacturing Date Reply with quote

I just got a Hellios 44-2 and I'm trying to find out the appx date it was made.
I've looked around on some sites without any luck and thought someone here could help.
The serial number is N0000919. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

No chance to get issue date , lens labeled with sr:00xxx means some special issue ... made for communist party leaders or prototype etc, nobody knows issue year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What style is it - aluminium, zebra or all black?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Hellios 44-2 Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
What style is it - aluminium, zebra or all black?

it's all black...Manual only. I just got it and have done a little with it on my K10. It looks like new.
Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Hellios 44-2 Reply with quote

Here is test . No post processing other than crop. Believe I shot this wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black was second one after aluminum finish came out wit Zenit -E I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong but I think the only aluminium version of this lens was the Helios-44 in M39 mount, provided with early Zenit 3M, B and E cameras. Both the B & E cameras changed to M42 mount in 1968 with the first 44-2 lenses. I don't think there are any aluminium M42 versions.

My 44-2 is black but has shiny chrome areas on the focus dial as you can see in this pic. The serial number is N9038768 and predates the system of using the year for the first two numbers. My guess this is from 1968-1970. I think the all-black version came a little later, not sure when, and probably finished production when the Zenit E ended in 1991.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have right Peter.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 44-2 zebra version was manufactured only by MMZ, as I know. They manufactured 2 more vesions: classic (similar to KMZ and Jupiter Optics Valdaj version) and new redesigned version, which is almost identical to 44-3.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Hellios 44-2 Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info....I have seen a lot of these but never one that looks and feels so new but with the odd serial number.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
This 44-2 zebra version was manufactured only by MMZ, as I know. They manufactured 2 more vesions: classic (similar to KMZ and Jupiter Optics Valdaj version) and new redesigned version, which is almost identical to 44-3.

Oh yes, thanks. I forgot about the different factories Rolling Eyes My lens is MMZ.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the last 44-2 version from MMZ. Its owner (JvtDeSiGn, who took this photo, too) says, that the lens is a bit sharper, than most 44-2 Smile