Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First impressions Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pop in those shots!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nokton 58/1.4 on Meike 10mm macro ring @ f/8, hand held with indirect flash:
nokton10mmringDSC09694klein by devoscasper, on Flickr

100% crop:
nokton10mmringDSC09694CROP by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting read.
Still on first coffee here and will have to run through it again.
Experience and opinions like this can be pretty constructive.
The last frame is a nice one!

-D.S. Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grand daddy RE AUTO Topcor performs pretty similar.

RE Topcor 58/1.4 @ f/8. No extension tube just close focusing. Handheld. No flash.
Looks like I set the shutter speed to 1/180 which pushed the ISO up to 1600

This is on a 16MP Fuji APS-C

Last edited by cbass on Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
The grand daddy RE AUTO Topcor performs pretty similar.

RE Topcor 58/1.4 @ f/8. No extension tube just close focusing. Handheld. No flash.

This is on a 16MP Fuji APS-C

Very nice, I have only the f/1.8, not bad either.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we lived closer as I really would love to do a Nokton/RE Topcor comparison as I have always wondered how close they perform.
Maybe I will just buy the Nokton, but I really don't need another 58mm.
But I wonder every so often on how they really compare especially when it comes to bokeh wide open and some other areas.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
I wish we lived closer as I really would love to do a Nokton/RE Topcor comparison as I have always wondered how close they perform.
Maybe I will just buy the Nokton, but I really don't need another 58mm.
But I wonder every so often on how they really compare especially when it comes to bokeh wide open and some other areas.

Yes it would be interesting. If there's anybody in the Netherlands with the topcor, I'm willing to do a comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of curious about original intent of designs.
There's a recently a/i converted 50mm f1.4 nikkor s.c. here, which has always struck me as a press photographer's lens.
( Yes, unfortunately, I am that old Wink )

It very likely would not compete with the more modern designs above, but is still hugely intriguing to me.
It does the wide-open bubble thing with the OOF points of light quite well, but so does my 55 3.5 micro.
I still have a heck of a lot to learn...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Kind of curious about original intent of designs.
There's a recently a/i converted 50mm f1.4 nikkor s.c. here, which has always struck me as a press photographer's lens.
( Yes, unfortunately, I am that old Wink )

It very likely would not compete with the more modern designs above, but is still hugely intriguing to me.
It does the wide-open bubble thing with the OOF points of light quite well, but so does my 55 3.5 micro.
I still have a heck of a lot to learn...

-D.S.

This old Nikkor has the same optical design like the original Topcor lens (7/5), like many other comparable lenses from this time.
I didn't find anything special, so I gave my copy to a friend who is on Nikon. It's rather soft wide open but also really sharp as from F5.6.
Additionally it's really annoying for non-Nikon users like me that Nikon lenses work in the "wrong" direction. Therefore I totally avoid them, but that's really another story. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
non-Nikon users like me that Nikon lenses work in the "wrong" direction. Therefore I totally avoid them, but that's really another story. Wink

I find most 3rd party lenses for my cameras to be a very minor annoyance with focus direction.
I often suspect someone on the nikon design team was left-handed.
If so, we're lucky that shutter releases did not end up on the left side of the camera as well. Rolling Eyes Wink

To briefly get back to topic, I'm going to shoot the heck out of mine this spring and summer. Mr. Green

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

This old Nikkor has the same optical design like the original Topcor lens (7/5), like many other comparable lenses from this time.
I didn't find anything special, so I gave my copy to a friend who is on Nikon. It's rather soft wide open but also really sharp as from F5.6.
Additionally it's really annoying for non-Nikon users like me that Nikon lenses work in the "wrong" direction. Therefore I totally avoid them, but that's really another story. Wink

I don't think you can generalize a lens by the number of elements and groups. I don't think there is a 7/5 58mm Nikkor? So the 7/5 would be a 50mm f/1.4 lens? I think the design of a 50mm vs 58mm would be different?

The 7/5 Leica Summilux is a very strong performing lens. Although the 7/5 arrangement is pretty unique. Even if the elements and groups look similar I think there is enough difference between most calculations that the final result can vary.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
tb_a wrote:

I don't think you can generalize a lens by the number of elements and groups. I don't think there is a 7/5 58mm Nikkor? So the 7/5 would be a 50mm f/1.4 lens? I think the design of a 50mm vs 58mm would be different?

The 7/5 Leica Summilux is a very strong performing lens. Although the 7/5 arrangement is pretty unique. Even if the elements and groups look similar I think there is enough difference between most calculations that the final result can vary.

I am speaking of the double Gauss (Planar) 7/5 extended rear element design and that's rather common, which leads to the fact that some characteristics will be rather comparable.
At least I can see such a similarity with most of the lenses with that design that I own in my collection of 100+ lenses.
I never stated that the design is the only criterion for the optical quality and I also stated before that there are exceptions to this rule. Additionally it's clear that 58mm will perform differently from 50mm.

Coming to the point: I have myself compared the old Nikkor and didn't dedect extraordinary differences to my other Japanese Planar-Type lenses.

I own several Leica RF lenses myself, so I know that they are slightly different, even if the use a rather common design. Leitz was and is always famous for their own development rather to copy from others after the expiry date of the copyright.

I have no problems when you express a different view. Fortunately there is the right for free speech.
I've mentioned it before: Some people believe in "3D-Pop". I wouldn't tell them that they are wrong.

In the end the best lens is useless if your camera isn't able to cope with it. Therefore, the whole discussion is rather academic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I was digging through my archives and found a bunch of macro shots I took with the Nokton at f/11 and f/16. The 3D pop effect is still present, and quite noticeable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handheld shot @ f/4, using a Meike 10mm ring, a Nissin i60A speedlight and a cheap collapsible Puluz ring shaped speedlight softbox.

voigtlanderRingSoftboxDSC09816 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice colors in that shot.

I had a Nissin i40. I used the heck out of it. Unfortunately it was so small and slippery I ended up dropping it about 5 inches onto a hard counter top, and it gave up the ghost. I should have put some kind of grippy rubber on outside surfaces.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Topcor and the newest version of the Noct 58mm f1.4. I find the Topcor better up to f4. The Noct has terrible color fringing of blues and purples on many occasions. At f5.6 the Noct takes over. Has better subject separation. One thing I have found is the Noct lets in half a stop more light at most apertures.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread.

@Caspert, I am interested to know if you still have the Nokton or not. If not, the reasons why you let it go and if yes how it compares to the normal lenses you have been testing recently and that look to lean into your favour.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabeu wrote:
Resurrecting this thread.

@Caspert, I am interested to know if you still have the Nokton or not. If not, the reasons why you let it go and if yes how it compares to the normal lenses you have been testing recently and that look to lean into your favour.

Thank you.

I don´t have the Nokton anymore. Not because I don´t like it, but because I sold it in order to buy a few other lenses. That´s how it usually goes when I buy new lenses.
The Nokton has a nice vintage character wide open, albeit sharper than most vintage lenses. It has quite a few aberrations and CA at wide apertures though. Stopped down until about f/5.6 it's resolution is crazy sharp (see eye picture on page 1), sharper than almost any vintage standard lens I have I would say. Maybe the Minolta AF 50mm f/2.8 macro is equally sharp, if you can call that vintage (click for full size):
MinoltaAF5028macroDSC09712 by devoscasper, on Flickr

The only other modern lens I've recently used in this focal range is the TTartisan 50mm f/1.4 aspherical. This is a more perfectly corrected lens, but it doesn't have the vintage character of the Nokton. Most people will find it great though.
One of my favorite standard lenses is the Mamiya EF 50mm f/1.4, which can be found very cheap. It has vintage character though (despite being very sharp).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very insightful. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nokton works well on a GFX too, FWIW. A little darkening in the corners in certain situations, so it's not absolutely perfect, but otherwise exceptionally good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used it quite a bit on my Nikon D700, and of course with film on my F4
It is a very likeable lens.
Here are a couple of shots

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon I will be trying my Topcors (I lovingly call them my "Top Whores") on GFX. Before I spent the money on the adapter since there is not cheap option, I did a quick test by putting the lenses against a m42 adapter and looking at vignetting at MFD and infinity to get a feel. This proved accurate enough with other lenses. I will know for sure soon, but the lenses that looked to have the best coverage were the 58 f/1.8, 58 f/3.5 macro, 100 f/2.8. However, to my surprise the wide angles like the 28 f/2.8 and 35 f/2.8 seemed to not vignette too bad especially at close focus. At infinity there was some vignette, but I don't remember if it was hard or soft. I will see what happens on a proper adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topcor 1.4 is such a nice lens, but watch out with the flares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote