Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Finally tested my Minolta XE-1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Finally tested my Minolta XE-1 Reply with quote

Got it recently and found out I wont be able to use it on DSLR, so I loaded it with some 9 years expired film I found cheap.

These were my first scanning attempts, so there is a lot of dust, hair and what not...Sad

But its fun! Smile

Shot with MD Rokkors 135/2.8 and 50/1.4

Results:

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20113/big_4017_Untitled89_1.jpg]

Self portrait...I kept thinking rokkor 50/1.4 was on 1.6 crop so I bowed a little Smile

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results! Thx for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Excellent results! Thx for sharing.

Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of these...a 70s feel? #4 and 5 appeal to me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:

I think its because the film is really old (date expired in 2002) so the photos dont have much contrast and some have some strange color cast which is difficult to pp.

Although the Minolta XE-1 is a gorgeous camera I feel my old Praktica TL 1000 has better light meter, because I rarely miss good exposition with it.
With Minolta however, some shots come totoally off.

But all in all its a nice camera and a joy to use.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my old Praktica TL 1000 has better light meter

Nothing wrong about the lightmeter of the Praktica. But better then the XE-1 is unusual. May be your XE-1 has got dirty shutter or contacts?
My XE-1's are quite reliable in metering with a decent battery; the shutters are perfect working.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results, I love the look from these... I'm still a Minolta neophyte, though it looks as though Minolta's becoming my 3rd slr system, pushing Olympus aside... so I don't know much about the XE-1 - is that a late or early model?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Excellent results, I love the look from these... I'm still a Minolta neophyte, though it looks as though Minolta's becoming my 3rd slr system, pushing Olympus aside... so I don't know much about the XE-1 - is that a late or early model?

Here it is with lenses I got with it:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Quote:
my old Praktica TL 1000 has better light meter

Nothing wrong about the lightmeter of the Praktica. But better then the XE-1 is unusual. May be your XE-1 has got dirty shutter or contacts?
My XE-1's are quite reliable in metering with a decent battery; the shutters are perfect working.

Dont know really, batteries are brand new. It might be the film Im using...
I just started to test it so Its probably to early to tell.

I have a dozen or so old film rolls so there is more testing to come Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting results!!
Very Happy

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture with the three girls is excellent. Too bad it isn't from digital as some thing could be corrected and enhanced and then you'd have an outstanding photo. I suppose a good scan from negative can provide nearly as good starting point.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:

+1

This is so 70s, this is so film. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
mo wrote:

+1

This is so 70s, this is so film. Wink

Smile. I do like the look of film very much. I love film grain, but I hate the noise on digital cameras.

The biggest problem where I live is you can only buy cheap nasty 200 color film.

With these, I took bit more time in PS and it shows I think...
All in all nice camera and nice lenses Smile

This example shows why I love film

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That camera looks almost like new in that photo Cool Awesome photos too, great colours from that expired film.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goombles wrote:
That camera looks almost like new in that photo Cool Awesome photos too, great colours from that expired film.

Thanks. The camera is practically new, few scratches near battery compartment and thats it. Lenses are in even better shape Smile.

The film i shot this with is fujifilm superia 100, and Im pretty pleased with the results as well Smile