Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FF-Upgrade: A7 + my Minolta Collection or D610 + AF-glass?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should I do?
Option A): Sell a few and buy the A7
92%
 92%  [ 13 ]
Option B): Sell everything and go full AF
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: FF-Upgrade: A7 + my Minolta Collection or D610 + AF-glass? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've built up a sizeable collection of Minolta glass over the years, thus far I have only used it with film cameras (and a borrowed Fuji X-E1):

Analog/Manual gear:
    Minolta X-500
    Minolta XD
    MD W.Rokkor 24mm f/2.8 ("MDII"-version, 9/7 design, 215g)
    MC W.Rokkor-SI 28mm f/2.5 ("MC-X"-version)
    MD W.Rokkor 35mm f/1.8 ("MDII"-version)
    MC Rokkor-PG 50mm f/1.4 ("MC-X"-version)
    MC Rokkor-PG 58mm f/1.2 ("MC-X"-version)
    MD Rokkor 85mm f/2.0
    MD 135mm f/3.5
    MD 200mm f/2.8
    MD 200mm f/4.0 ("MDII"-version, 520g)
    MD 300-S 2x Teleconverter
    Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 "Bokina" (with the matched 1:1 Teleconverter)
    Minolta Autometer IVF

Digital/Autofocus gear:
    Pentax K-5
    Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8
    Pentax-DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6
    Pentax-F 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5

I enjoy using the smaller primes with my Minolta XD but most of the time I just grab my Pentax K-5 for convenience.

The glass would certainly justify buying an FF MILC (at least a used A7) but it's also worth quite a bit of money so I could sell it all and spend the money towards an FF-DSLR.

The shorter primes would make for a nice compact kit with an A7 (especially the 24/2.8, 35/1.8 & 85/2). The 90/2.5 and the 200/2.8 don't see much use anyway,
if I'd sell those plus the 28/2.5, 50/1.4 and the TC (which is meant for the 200/2.8 anyway), a used A7 would be mostly paid for.

On the other hand, I don't want to go entirely without the convenience of AF and zoom. The Sony 28-70/3.5-5.6 is rather unsatisfactory
and beyond that lens (and maybe the FE28/2), Sony's lens lineup is hardly budget-friendly...

I would certainly keep my K-5 and at least the 18-135. If I sold my manual gear and bought an FF-DSLR instead, I wouldn't really need any of my Pentax gear anymore (a 24-105/4 or 24-120/4 would do fine).

A) FF-MILC
    BUY:
    Sony A7 + 28-70/3.5-5.6
    KEEP:
    Minolta 24/2.8
    Minolta 35/1.8
    Minolta 58/1.2
    Minolta 85/2
    Minolta 135/3.5
    Minolta 200/4
    Minolta XD
    SELL:
    MC28/2.5
    MC50/1.4
    MD200/2.8
    MD300-S
    Vivitar 90/2.5
    X-500 (+ Grip)
    Autometer IVF (+ Spot attachment)
    Sigma 17-50/2.8 (for Pentax)

B) FF-DSLR
    BUY:
    Nikon D610
    Sigma 24-105/4 (or Nikon 24-120/4?)
    Nikon 50/1.8G
    Nikon 85/1.8G
    SELL:
    All analog gear
    All Pentax gear

I can't make up my mind... please help.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your Minolta glass will keep its value much better than Nikon AF-gear.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really think you will hear too many posts supporting sale of legacy lens set for the sake of a new AF system ? Tuzki with lens

All will boil down to what you intend to do with the new system. If you were into sports or wildlife photography, AF would be fine. Do you really consider selling 35 1.8 & 28 2.5, 58 1.2 and 85 2 for Sigma 24-105 and Co.? It does not seem quite right to me.

If you can save a bit more, you can pick a clean A7ii . With new adapters AF with legacy lenses may be possible (Techart) or you can simply get a newly announced Sigma adapter and any EF mount Sigma lens will AF.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried out some Nikon gear and rethought my plans a bit.
IF I went the DSLR route, I'd probably start out with 3 primes (28/1.8G - 50/1.8G - 85/1.8G) and add a compact Tele-Zoom (e.g. Tamron 70-300/4-5.6 VC) and perhaps a WA-Zoom (e.g. Nikon 18-35/3.5-4.5G) later.

I'm still torn between size and AF but I don't think I'll sell my Minolta primes without giving the A7 a try. It's certainly a good fit for the smaller primes:

(pictured is a 24/1.8G rather than the 28/1.8G, camerasize.com doesn't list the 28 and they're pretty close in size & weight)

I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a used A7, I won't buy any FE lenses though (except perhaps a 28-70, if it's cheap).
listera wrote:
If you can save a bit more, you can pick a clean A7ii . With new adapters AF with legacy lenses may be possible (Techart) or you can simply get a newly announced Sigma adapter and any EF mount Sigma lens will AF.

The Techart adapter is quite interesting, the AF is only optimised for Sony's newer PDAF sensors though (I'd have to go for the A7II).
I'll keep an eye on the A7II used prices...
listera wrote:
Do you really think you will hear too many posts supporting sale of legacy lens set for the sake of a new AF system ?

I didn't exactly expect this forum to be unbiased on that issue but I don't see why anyone here would be opposed to other people selling their legacy glass (after all, those other people might be looking for buyers...).
listera wrote:
All will boil down to what you intend to do with the new system. If you were into sports or wildlife photography, AF would be fine.

Just land-/cityscapes and (nonathletically) moving humans. I can live without AF but it's nice to have, especially on fast primes.
listera wrote:
Do you really consider selling 35 1.8 & 28 2.5, 58 1.2 and 85 2 for Sigma 24-105 and Co.? It does not seem quite right to me.

Yes, I do, I might go for the Nikon 1.8G primes rather than a standard zoom (and get zooms to cover my WA- & tele-needs) though.
I'd be buying everything used and I would take my time to get good prices for the Minolta glass.

I suspect I'll end up with an FF-DSLR eventually, Nikon looks like the best option right now but I'm curious about Pentax's future plans.
The K-1 looks great (IBIS, size, ergonomics) but it's too expensive for now and Pentax needs to fill up their FF lens lineup (and get Sigma & Tamron back onboard).
If Pentax introduces something like Nikon's 1.8G primes (they just added 4 FF-primes to their roadmap...), I might take the plunge...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the A7 and in time buy some nice AF lenses for that camera to complete your set.

I'm in a similar situation. Thinking about selling my Canon full-frame AF equipment and start building on one system only, which is the A7 i have now. It's so much lighter and smaller than hauling around a FF DSLR set.

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the 28 f2 Sony has just introduced a cheap FE 50 1.8 . The A7 is also the cheapest FF. You can invest the difference in a Batis 85 f1.8 or wait for the future Sigma lenses .
I just bought a 16/35 zoom which is a nice lens but not the cheapest .

I have a lot of Rokkors and they work pretty well with the A7.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris, WHAT do you shoot the most and is it all hobby or profession?
Do you EVER push your gear to its utmost limits (low light + fast shutter for sports or similar)?

You have your K-5 for AF duties (and a cheap flash can completely take care of low-light needs).

Only thing you'd win in going over to Nikon is a solid on-board remote flash system, but triggers can easily remedy that and you're left with superb low-light performance and insane battery life compared to mirrorless and maybe even your K-5.

And K-1 just came out, so that MAY well take care of your debate.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Canon EOS 60D, upgraded to the a7ii, I have no regrets, minolta lenses are great on it. There are many AF minolta lenses available as well that work on A mount or E mount with adapter. Some of them are insanely cheap especially the zooms which are surprisingly good. In addition you can use great inexpensive glass from Canon FD, and Konica AR.