Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Feelings about the Sigma in Real Life
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Feelings about the Sigma in Real Life Reply with quote

Since my first and introductory post was to the Why not women in the forum? thread, I felt that Tony's comments and questions regarding my SD14 experiences would be best served here:

rbelyell wrote:
like you i did a lot of research on the foveon processor, but on a much lighter technical level--more common sense-intuitive and wanting something different. its great to have another highly skilled technology person here--you will find several others and im sure will have some interesting exchanges.

besides wanting to see more images from you, i am also curious as to how you are feeling about the sigma in real life; what you are comparing it to and how its working for you. for me i do like the images, a vast improvement over my last camera, a sony a100, but for me the jury is still out on whether its limitations are overcome by its IQ.
would be very interested on your thoughts.
tony

I started my career back in 1976 performing semiconductor engineering, so reading the Foveon patents on their imager technology was not all that far outside my experience.

As to how I feel about the SD14 in real life, I am very pleased with the results that I've had with it over the past year. I have been able to have a full imager photo from my SD14 printed at 32" x 22" very successfully. You can see and assess the results by reading my post on the Imagekind forum where I provide details.

The two main areas where the SD14 hits the wall is no control of the focal plane or perspective, a situation common to all fixed lens cameras - easily solved by going to large format, and high noise at low light levels.

For normally day lit scenes, Topaz Denoise does a great job cleaning the noise from the shadows and it helps the residual pixel scale noise in the brighter areas.

For low light, night, and astronomical photography, the noise gets so severe that it can't be processed out. A point that I feel should be made clear is this low light noise is not from the imager, but the software manipulations necessary and responsible for separating out the severely overlapped Foveon spectral layers into isolated image file Red, Green, and Blue.

A remedy that I need to explore would be to shoot three exposures through #25, #58, and #47 filters, a technique common to astronomical photography, each image would then be processed under the Monochrome white balance of SPP 3.5.2 eliminating the need to separate the Foveon spectral data. The three exposures would then be merged to produce a full color, hopefully noise fee, low light image.

As to what I would compare the SD14 to, I'd say film. A Bayer masked imager does not sense color, only brightness. It is only by knowing what color filter is over each photosite that a color image can even be derived. In the case of the SD14 and the Foveon imager, each light sensing layer has it's own spectral response curve, precisely as color film, which is why I recently purchased a SA9 and have plans to purchase a large format camera. Once I get my darkroom set up, I'll be able to process B&W, E-6, and C-41 films which can then be scanned and handled similarly to my SD14 files. This mix of technologies will allow me the ability to use the most appropriate for each photo's circumstances.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks steaphany. agree with you on the negatives, plus no in body IS and a terrible viewfinder, both of which conspire to wreak havoc with mf lens use. really, for color photos, you cannot shoot above iso 400.

positives are a lovely, 3d film like effect for the photos; lovely color and lots of depth. if we go beyond the tech stats, which by the way are way over my head, i am wondering, for the same number of negatives, how the sd14 IQ would stack up against say a canon 1ds full frame; or erasing some of the negatives, how it would compare with even a pentax k20d. again, this is intuitive, but im thinking that both are going to yield higher quality images, one simply via more 'horsepower' and the other via compensating for the sd14s significant negatives.

what are your thoughts? mine are i wish i had the resources and talent to conduct the tests!

thanks again
tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of Image Stabilization is not an issue for me. When I started in photography with a Yashica Mat TLR, there was no image stabilization, but tripods did the job and are still capable today.

With my SD14, I have an RF remote that connects to the CR-21 jack. Being completely wireless, apart from any breeze or ground vibration, the SD14 is rock steady.

A point to remember is vibration suppression is all the more critical with long focal length lenses. The Hit and Miss engine photo was shot through my Orion 1,250mm Maksutov Cassegrain telescope which yields a 0.95° x 0.63° angle of view on the SD14. (equivalent to a 2,125mm lens on a 35mm camera) I had my SD14/Maksutov Cassegrain mounted on my astronomical mount/tripod and controlled the camera from the RF wireless remote with the SD14 in Mirror up mode. To capture the full engine required 9 over lapping frames which I stitched together in post. The image clarity was fine in the whole set.

I agree that the SD14 viewfinder is not the best design, my personal preference is a ground glass focusing screen, but I have not seen any SLR with a ground glass. I'm able to make due with the SD14's viewfinder, as evident on the Hit and Miss engine, the Maksutov Cassegrain telescope have no aperture adjustment, fixed at f/13.9, and the focus is manual. The SD14 can't even try to talk with the telescope since I need a T-mount to SA adapter to couple them together.

So as long as the light level is good, the SD14 will do the job. For low light, I'll stick with film.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - was that conversation in english? Embarassed Embarassed Shocked Shocked

patrickh

Personally I just love the colours/texture/acuity of the foveon. But I cannot take the other limitations of the camera - everything is so specific to the Sigma, including RAW processing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Feelings about the Sigma in Real Life Reply with quote

Steaphany wrote:

A Bayer masked imager does not sense color, only brightness. It is only by knowing what color filter is over each photosite that a color image can even be derived. In the case of the SD14 and the Foveon imager, each light sensing layer has it's own spectral response curve,...

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

Quote:
A Bayer masked imager does not sense color, only brightness.

Are you suggesting that the Foveon sensor does sense colour ?

Quote:
It is only by knowing what color filter is over each photosite that a color image can even be derived.

Each of the photodetectors in a Foveon sensor (3 at each site) has, in effect, a built colour filter. As you say...

Quote:
...each light sensing layer has it's own spectral response curve,...

The green (middle) and red (bottom) layers don't see as much blue light as the top layer because most of it is absorbed there. So the blue layer acts as a colour filter for the green and red layers, and the green layer acts as an colour filter for the red layer.

Of course I know that the Foveon sensor has three detectors at one site, whereas the Bayer has only one. This leads to very different rrequirements for signal processing. And the pictures look different. But surely both sensors rely on the presence of colour filters. Or have I misunderstood ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks steaphany. while the jury is still out for me on whether the tradeoffs with the sigma are worth it, your set up seems to work well for you. im not sure if anyone realized how much work seemed to have gone into the photo you posted.

patrickh, i think i may be moving into your camp on this, tho its still too early for me to say so conclusively, and yes one of the negatives i forgot about was lack of alternatives to the awful sigma photo pro pp software--yuk! also, while i initially thought the sigmas lack of bells and whistles would be a badge of honor, its pretty darn annoying when you want to shoot above iso400 and cant, or actually see your images in black and white while youre snapping them!

sichko, your post is the kind of exchange i was hoping for on the tech front--2 opinions where i understand about every fourth or fifth word! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephany,
I don't know about the sigma but from all the tests I've seen, the image quality of Canons and Nikons simply leave all digital cameras in the dust, even Leicas.

Here are a few I took last spring at my friends house:

40D various lenses:

His observatory that he built: (20mm Nikon I think)

My daughter and a 14" Meade inside same:(With Disco lights) 10-22 Canon

I piggybacked my 40D on the scope and used a 200mm Jupiter 21A, f8 at 30 sec. (Our old friend the hunter)

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
Hi Stephany,
I don't know about the sigma but from all the tests I've seen, the image quality of Canons and Nikons simply leave all digital cameras in the dust, even Leicas.

Here are a few I took last spring at my friends house:

40D various lenses:

His observatory that he built: (20mm Nikon I think)

My daughter and a 14" Meade inside same:(With Disco lights) 10-22 Canon

I piggybacked my 40D on the scope and used a 200mm Jupiter 21A, f8 at 30 sec. (Our old friend the hunter)

Cheers

Jules

First: clean your sensor Smile

I used to have Canon 350D, yet it doesn leave my current K20D in the dust. Actually the opposite is the case Smile

Simply claiming that CaNikon leaves others into dust is silly. CaNikons can provide excellent image quality, but most of them aren't really any or much better than their competition under most circumstances. And in some cases the IQ of their competitors is better.

Regarding Sigma, well, the Foveon sensor in reality is quite bad by modern standards. I know some will get mad about me saying this, but that is just how it is. However, Sigma's cameras are even worse Smile In principle though, I'd like to see more cameras with full color pixel sites, just with better implementations.

If the images you showed were supposed to show 40D superiority, they were just way too small for that purpouse. Other than that: nice shots Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Feelings about the Sigma in Real Life Reply with quote

Steaphany wrote:

For low light, night, and astronomical photography, the noise gets so severe that it can't be processed out. A point that I feel should be made clear is this low light noise is not from the imager, but the software manipulations necessary and responsible for separating out the severely overlapped Foveon spectral layers into isolated image file Red, Green, and Blue.

A remedy that I need to explore would be to shoot three exposures through #25, #58, and #47 filters, a technique common to astronomical photography, each image would then be processed under the Monochrome white balance of SPP 3.5.2 eliminating the need to separate the Foveon spectral data. The three exposures would then be merged to produce a full color, hopefully noise fee, low light image.

Could you please explain more about the spectral layers and how this introduces noise? Is there subtractive processing going on?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Feelings about the Sigma in Real Life Reply with quote

Steaphany wrote:
A Bayer masked imager does not sense color, only brightness. It is only by knowing what color filter is over each photosite that a color image can even be derived. In the case of the SD14 and the Foveon imager, each light sensing layer has it's own spectral response curve, precisely as color film,

The two statements are equivalent. On a bayer sensor, each photosite has a given spectral response, caused by the filter and (to a lesser extent) the sensor. On a foveon sensor, each photosite has three spectral responses, caused by the filter(s) and, for the lower two parts of the photosite, also caused by having to pass through te upper layers of the photosite.

In both cases, the image suffers from colour domain aliasing caused by having only three spectral samples. In both cases, the results from the three spectral curves can be integrated to produce a colour, for eample in CIE LAB or some other colorimetric space.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From this users point of view - if that's what you mean by 'real life' - the sigma is one tool for a particular job at which I think it excels and that's portraiture. Well, when I want digital anyway. I use one with an Olympus mount and carry an OM4 as well. Printed images do have a film look and are good at A3 which suits me. It also works with my big old vivitar flashes.
And they are cheap...
The technology.... makes my head spin - which I sometimes enjoy but it's the results that I like.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, now this is getting good!!!!

anu, i agree the statement canikon leaves everything in the dust is silly. why isnt the statement 'foveon sensors are quite bad by modern standards' not the same silly??!!

as a photographer i am not in the same league as many others here who love the foveon IQ, so while i wouldnt necessarily trust my own judgement in this regard, i do trust theirs!

now if you want to say sigma's CAMERAS are quite bad by modern standards, i can more agree with you. i am finding way too many limitations in the camera compared to their competitors. but frankly the only thing that has kept me from slamming my sd14 into the wall IS the foveon sensor.

lets keep heating this up!!

tony

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HE HE HE.

Thanks, (it was a fun day and evening)

I judge that on noise and color response. Canon and Nikon (branded CMOS) sensors seem to have the least chroma and luminance noise (at least according to every graph I've ever seen).

The rest is up pretty much to the lens, so a Distagon 35mm on a Sigma will probably do better than a funky AF zoom at 35mm on a Canikon

(except for the Sigma hype and mis-representation of the picture size.)

a 2464 x 1632 picture is an approx. four megapixel image no matter how many sensors are on top of it

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not replying to this thread quicker, I was busy gathering reference material to explain and corroborate the information that I'll be providing.

My sources and references, and getting this out of the way so everyone will know where this information comes from and can verify the material for themselves:

Eyeing the Camera: into the Next Century by Richard F. Lyon and Paul M. Hubel
Foveon, Inc., Santa Clara, California, USA
Published in the Tenth Color Imaging Conference: Color Science and Engineering Systems, Technologies, Applications, CIC 2002, November 12, 2002
The Society for Imaging Science and Technology

Anyone interested in obtaining a PDF copy of this paper can do so from imaging.org, for IS&T members it's free, otherwise the price is $12.00US.

*** DANGER ***
What follows will be a discussion of quantum electrodynamics, I will not be presenting a succession of formulas, common to the patents, patent applications, and texts on the subject, but if you questioned whether prior posts of this thread were English - you have not seen anything yet. The graphs that I'll have posted here have all come from the referenced paper. (Yay - pictures) For those dismayed by "Techno Bla Bla" stop reading now!
*** DANGER ***

Foveon Structure

Here is the conceptual structure of a Foveon photosite:

To anyone versed in Semiconductor Engineering, this structure is nothing new. This is the very same junction profile employed by a NPN bipolar transistor in a junction isolated fabrication process. To those who have played with electronics, this is the magic behind the ancient 7400 TTL logic chips and the LM741C operational amplifier. When I was working in the field of Semiconductor Engineering designing Integrated Injection Logic devices, measurements of transistor parameters would often be distorted by the ambient room light and often a black cloth was used to shield the chip being probed because this effect was not desired.

In this diagram the effect of light absorption is indicated by meters indicating that incident light creates a current across each of the three junctions. This is precisely the phenomenon responsible for a photovoltaic solar panel's electricity production. For anyone desiring a refresher, here is a video from the University of California TV's YouTube channel The Power of the Sun - The Science of the Silicon Solar Cell. ( I do recommend everyone watch this video since it provides a wonderfully succinct explanation of this effect. ) A side note: this phenomenon is so critical to our modern world that this was the discovery for which Albert Einstein won the Nobel prize. His theories of relativity came later and didn't do it.

A cause for confusion in the above diagram is the choice of the word Filter as in "filtering the color components...". In a photographic context, a filter separates incident light through either absorption or reflection delivering a reduction from the incident intensity to the optics that follow. In the Foveon stacked junction structure the layers do not filter, but more accurately possess a characteristic spectral dependent sensitivity:

This diagram shows a Silicon property not touched on by the UCTV video, that the ability to absorb incident photons liberating electrons has a dependence on wavelength, i.e. the left vertical scale showing the absorption coefficient, and that this phenomenon in also dependent on the depth that the photon travels below the surface, i.e. the right vertical scale. An analogy could be chumming for Sharks in the ocean - You throw the chum, an assortment of chopped fish bits, into the water and some Sharks feed near the surface while others let the larger chum bits sink to a depth they favor. For a point of reference, the limit of vision ranges from .4um ( 400nm or 4,000 Angstrom ) on the violet end and .7um ( 700nm or 7,000 Angstrom ) on the red end.

So, what does this chart tell us ? A violet photon with an energy corresponding to a wavelength of .4um is easily absorbed and that this absorption occurs close to the crystal surface. By contrast, a red photon whose energy corresponds to .7um is not as easily absorbed, but more importantly, this absorption characteristically occurs at a greater depth. Some people conclude that since the blue and green sensing junctions are above the red, that the red junction has less photons available to see. This error stems from thinking of the junctions as photographic filters taking light away and leaving less for the layers below, but remember, we are dealing with quantum electrodynamics and an essential property of quantum physics, something that gave Albert Einstein grave concern is the concept of "Maybe". Remember the famous Einstein quote "God does not play dice!" ? Every phenomenon of quantum physics is governed by probability functions, i.e. what is the likelihood of an event occurring:

At this point, I feel I need to explain quantum efficiency. In this chart, quantum efficiency is a measure of the quantum probability for each photon's absorption. i.e. How likely is it that the photon will liberate an electron. If we look at the peaks of the three junctions, we don't have anything any higher than about .325. So, out of a total of 1000 photons, the best we can get is just 325 contributing to a light measurement. What happens to the rest ? Well, they are absorbed, but instead of being helpful by liberating an electron, they just turn into heat. Another example of this phenomenon is when you are out in Sun light. Infrared wavelengths are too weak to liberate electrons, so you feel the effect by your skin warming - Absorbed photons raising the skin temperature. Ultraviolet wavelengths can liberate electrons from the molecules in your skin's living cells which alters chemical processes, i.e. creating vitamin D and causing sunburn.

The overall spectral sensitivity curves are:

This chart also explains an important property of the Foveon imager, of the little bit of light that does constructively yield a measure of light intensity, each junction ends up sensing photons across the whole visual spectrum. The trick is that these three junction measurements need to be transformed into values corresponding the domain of the red, green, and blue primaries. Mathematically, this is a simple Matrix multiplication, but, because of the degree of overlap, the transformation matrix must mathematically combine all three junction measurement values together for each primary color. This is where the poor low light performance stems from, yielding severe noise in low light and night images and noisy shadows in normally lit scenes. I'm not saying that the Foveon imager itself is noise free, but the architecture has issues which would be very difficult to over come completely.

I hope that I have achieved at least a bit of understanding that the Foveon imager does see color, admittedly poorly, but still well enough for photography. That the quantum efficiency of the junctions show that the deeper junctions don't suffer from a lack of light. That the noise issue is less a factor of the silicon but more dependant on what needs to be done mathematically with the data afterwards.

When researching whether or not to go with the SD14, it was coming to the above understanding that sold me on the technology. Yes, I knew what I was getting myself in for when I purchased my SD14.

And... I'm not done yet. Wink Just to show that I need a performance level of technology rather than brand name, here is a stacked photosite technology that Nikon has developed:

This diagram comes from US Patent #7,138,663, Color separation device of solid-state image sensor. Instead of applying a Bayer filter mask to the imager surface, a primary separation array of dichroic mirrors is applied to the chip. Incident light is focused by a microlens through a small aperture in an opaque mask covering the chip and dichrioc mirror array. The dichroic mirrors of each photosite separate and distribute the red, green, and blue light to the respective photoreceptors. In theory, this would yield a clarity and resolution of a Foveon with better sensitivity and with less imager noise and with out the data manipulation induced noise.

Then, why don't I have a Nikon camera ? Nikon tech support !

Curious about this technology, I contacted Nikon Support and, oddly enough, they answered.

My inquiry:
Quote:

I am curious as to which dSLR's currently available utilize an imager based on the technology described in US Patent 7,138,663 titled "Color separation device of solid-state image sensor".

Also, regarding new camera designs becoming available, how can I tell if this technology is being used ?

I personally feel Bayer masked imagers are inadequate for color image capture and this Patent describes a potentially acceptable technology.

Their first reply:
Quote:

HI

Thanks for the question. I'm sorry but we generally don't disclose technology about how our cameras work internally. May I ask what you feel is wrong with current cameras when used in real world conditions?

-David

My reply:
Quote:

There is nothing wrong with Bayer masked imager based cameras, if the photographer is willing to compromise on image quality by allowing interpolation algorithms to guess what colors are actually being focused on the imager. I just do not believe such technology is the best solution to the problem, and I want any camera that I use to sense the whole spectra at every photosite.

Sigma with their Foveon X3 based SD14 employs a stacked photodiode junctions to achieve color image sensing.

Your patent 7,138,663 demonstrates an alternative means to sense color which, like the Foveon, is NOT based on a Bayer filter mask and the interpolation overhead associated with it.

I take the time to research technology and I will not even consider purchasing a camera if I do not understand the technology upon which it's based and it still has to meet my quality standards.

Their final answer:
Quote:

HI

Thanks for the feedback. We generally compare real-world, final outputs rather than specifications and so far haven't seen any other technology which produces superior images, including film, to our current products. Thanks

-David

Confused Rolling Eyes Question Shocked

To say that this pissed me off and left a bad taste in my mouth regarding anything Nikon is a bit of an understatement. So, if anyone can provide insight on Nikon's cameras employing US Patent 7,138,663, I'd be appreciative.

Sorry for writing such a long thesis.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
ok, now this is getting good!!!!

anu, i agree the statement canikon leaves everything in the dust is silly. why isnt the statement 'foveon sensors are quite bad by modern standards' not the same silly??!!

Because it is a fact Smile

Compared to modern APS-C sensors Foveon sensors are inferior in pretty much all categories from noise and resolution to color. Off the top of my head I can not think of a single quality of Foveon that is superior to modern sensors from other manufacturers, when it comes to taking photographs.

rbelyell wrote:

now if you want to say sigma's CAMERAS are quite bad by modern standards, i can more agree with you. i am finding way too many limitations in the camera compared to their competitors. but frankly the only thing that has kept me from slamming my sd14 into the wall IS the foveon sensor.

Why do you like that sensor?

rbelyell wrote:

lets keep heating this up!!

More heat is good here in Finnish winter - it is so cold here that polar bears are appearing in the streets already, searching for food.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anu, stay inside, we dont want you to be porridge for polar bear!

and while you are inside you might want to take a look at some of these silly resolution charts that people are so fond of and see that foveon has really great resolution (according to dpreview) compared to similar cameras and even compared to theoretically better cameras.

now i personally hate that stupid chart stuff, because as a really good photographer i know said, 'i dont shoot charts'!Smile i have always thought you can get too far from the real world mucking about in these silly tests, but i will cite it here as it proves my point about foveon resolution! Laughing

as for color, i think color is subjective, and frankly i think there are many people who dont have a foveon who love the color of foveon--many in this forum. count me among them. to say aps-c objectively beats foveon on color is to quote a great man i post with 'silly' Laughing

you win on noise; 'nuff said.
t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the oversaturation of Velvia all that much, nor do I like the oversaturation of the Foveon all that much either.

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
anu, stay inside, we dont want you to be porridge for polar bear!

I have good fast feet, I can outrun them Smile

rbelyell wrote:

and while you are inside you might want to take a look at some of these silly resolution charts that people are so fond of and see that foveon has really great resolution (according to dpreview) compared to similar cameras and even compared to theoretically better cameras.

I must first say that the folks at dpreview are rather incompetent, when it comes to testing cameras. Though, that's irrelevant here I guess.

Foveon actually has rather bad resolution, even on DPR, compared to modern DSLR-cameras - unless you tolerate moire. Plus it's got aliasing. Even in relatively small print that can show and hit the eye, ruining the shot.

Also, one must remember, that shooting real life rarely has black&white lines next to each other in 90 (or 45) degree angles, which is the forte of Foveon (as black & white pixels can sit happily next to each other - in test chart that may result in higher resolution, in real life it tends to create straircasing).

Oh, and at least dpr's DP2 raw chart images were oversharpened to look sharper than they actually are.

rbelyell wrote:

now i personally hate that stupid chart stuff, because as a really good photographer i know said, 'i dont shoot charts'!Smile i have always thought you can get too far from the real world mucking about in these silly tests, but i will cite it here as it proves my point about foveon resolution! Laughing

But it really doesn't - moire is not detail, but false detail. Smile
I'll move from the DP2 raw-chart to the test images (the bottles and playing cards etc.). First thing I noticed was that DPR-workflow ignores that sensors that have AA-filter require capture-sharpening - they've decided to skip that. Well, I din't bother to do it to their images - I just decided to compare the images at the same subject magnification - DP2 to Olympus E-P1 is just no contest - Olympus resolves far more detail and with far fewer artifacts. (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmadp2/page17.asp - download the images and look them so that the objects are of the same size (upsize both images).

rbelyell wrote:

as for color, i think color is subjective, and frankly i think there are many people who dont have a foveon who love the color of foveon--many in this forum. count me among them. to say aps-c objectively beats foveon on color is to quote a great man i post with 'silly' Laughing

you win on noise; 'nuff said.
t

While color can be called subjective, color accuracy is not. Foveon is a problematic sensor type for accurate color. And if some hues (I think yellows, reds and magentas were especially problematic, but I might remember it wrong), have to be processed by the firmware/software a lot to look something like they should, this induces noise, which lowers signal/noise which and reflects on the color quality.
The color separation by using silicon as color filter doesn't work that well in practise vis-a-vis human brain's understanding of color. Bayer filtering on the other hand works well. According to Foveon's own presentation they would need six (!) layers of sensors to achieve similar color accuracy with what Bayer-sensors achieve today.

Anything I said above may be inconsisten, stupid or just plain evil, as I am a layperson, though intellectually curious (I wish I were intelligent as well Wink ).

Loving the color of some images is almost entirely due to post processing (done either by the camera or in computer).

Oh, a side effect of the Foveon color problem is the way it handles color with high ISOs...

I was wondering: could you please take two pictures with a Foveon-based camera for me? Take a picture of a color chart (or something similar), and then take a picture of the same chart turned upside down. Process them with equal parameters (minimal to no processing, same white balance though), resize them and post here. Sounds silly, but please, I'd like to see something I overheard (=read from someone) with my own eyes.

It's way past midnight and I am so sleepy. Probably wrote something totally silly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steaphany wrote:
Sorry for not replying to this thread quicker, I was busy gathering reference material to explain and corroborate the information that I'll be providing.

My sources and references, and getting this out of the way so everyone will know where this information comes from and can verify the material for themselves:

Eyeing the Camera: into the Next Century by Richard F. Lyon and Paul M. Hubel
Foveon, Inc., Santa Clara, California, USA
Published in the Tenth Color Imaging Conference: Color Science and Engineering Systems, Technologies, Applications, CIC 2002, November 12, 2002
The Society for Imaging Science and Technology

Anyone interested in obtaining a PDF copy of this paper can do so from imaging.org, for IS&T members it's free, otherwise the price is $12.00US.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't read the paper you quote - I'm not sure that I want to pay 12 USD. However Foveon publshes a lot of stuff. Here are three examples.

1. http://www.foveon.com/article.php?a=69
2. http://www.foveon.com/files/CIC13_Hubel_Final.pdf
3. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5965875.pdf

The first one adopts a simple approach and shows three different coloured arrows (blue, green and red) hitting a tricoloured sandwich (blue on top, green in the middle, red on the bottom). The blue arrow stops at the blue layer. The green arrow goes through the blue layer but stops at the green layer. The red arrow goes through both the blue and green layers but stops at the red layer. An animation shows something similar using coloured balls.

The blue photons don't reach the green and red detectors. The green photons pass through the blue detector (interesting !) but don't reach the red detector. The red detector sees only red photons. This description is consistent with some idea of filtration (whatever its origin) and is supported by the commentary...

Since silicon absorbs different wavelengths at different depths, each layer records a different colour.

The second Foveon work is a little more sophisticated. However it states...

The mechanisms of colour separation used in Foveon X3 sensors relies on the absorption of photons at different wavelengths and at different depths. The higher energy photons, those at the blue end of the spectrum, are absorbed at the surface whereas the lower energy photons penetrate deeper into the silicon substrate.

Again, I think that this might be seen as some sort of filtration. If high energy (blue) photons are absorbed at the surface then they are not available for the deeper (red and green sensors).

The second reference then goes a little further and shows us (Figure 2 in the second reference) the spectral responses of the three (blue, green and red) detectors. The blue detecor has a maximum response (0.55 in whatever units) at 425 nm. The red sensor has a response of ~0. However the response of the green detector is ~ 0.18 one third of that of the blue detector. So some of the blue photons get through to the green detector but not to the red. Why ? I don't know - maybe they've been absorbed - but it's consistent with the idea of selective absorption depending upon wavelength and depth - in effect a filter is there.

Figure 2 is even more revealing. It shows that each of the 3 detectors responds to each of the 3 different colours (apart form the blue photon - red detector combination). This contradicts the statement we saw in the first Foveon work...

Since silicon absorbs different wavelengths at different depths, each layer records a different colour.k ....

Of course it's easily dealt with - as you say. We will have three equations with three unknowns - which we can solve easily.

Finally the third Foveon work - this is the original Patent. A selected quote...

...blue light having a wavelength 400-490 nm will be absorbed in a silicon substrate primarily at a depth of 0.2-0.5 microns...
Green light.....490-575 nm.....0.5-1.5 microns
Red light......575-700 nm......1.5-3.0 microns

First of all note the word primarily. Foveons original statement ...

Since silicon absorbs different wavelengths at different depths, each layer records a different colour.

is untrue. Secondly different numbers of different coloured photons are seen at different depths and at the different coloured detector sites. I don't see why we can't see this phenomenon as a result of filtration - different coloured filters covering different detectors - exactly as in a Bayer device - except of course that we have three different detectectors in the same place in the Foveon.

I have read the detailed comments and will address them later.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steaphany
Awesome

Others - this is a fascinating thread even if I only understand one concept out of ten.

patrickh

I remember in the early days (about 4 - 5 years ago) some (and I stress the some) results from the foveon were almost the only ones to compare favorably with film. It was an attractive aspect of the sensor. Nowadays, whatever edge it may have had has long been dissipated by a lack of development on the foveon front and the improvements in sensors under the old Bayer regime. Not to mention software of course...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first i have really enjoyed the twin debates in this thread; one ive been a part of and another ive enjoyed from afar--intellectually real afar. Laughing

my ability to provide meaningful advancement of either is nonetheless coming to a close. anu, i would love to hear what you heard about the colorchart experiment, but unfortunately i dont have any such chart or facsimilie thereof to confirm/dispute whatever result you have in mind, sorry. Sad

i view the advanced technical debate in this thread as dovetailing nicely with my debate with anu, because at the end of the day, better minds than mine can look at the same technical data and reach very different conclusions; better eyes than mine can look at similar images, taken with different cameras or different sensors and also come to very different conclusions.

while we believe we make hardware decisions with our 'head', the truth i take from this thread is that, no matter how hard we try, photography is NOT a science, its an art. as with all art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, within reasonable bounds its almost totally subjective. i think at the bottom of it we may buy new cameras, admire others, covet others because of what we read about them, but we SELL some and keep USING others because of how we FEEL about the pictures taken with them.

maybe patrickh had it right re foveon--its been stuck in the same technical place for several years while other technology has advanced and thus the foveon advantage has passed. to my eye, and to a school of others, i still see a difference in depth, in feel. might i trade that in for better resolution, for an easier user experience, for better out of the camera results--yeah i might. do i understand why others wouldnt make the same decision--absolutely. would i try to convince them to my point of view with technical arguments--no because i dont think technical arguments convince anyone to stop using a camera that produces images they like.

thanks to anu, patrick, steaphany, sichko etc as i really enjoyed the debate!
tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steaphany wrote:

*** DANGER ***
What follows will be a discussion of quantum electrodynamics, I will not be presenting a succession of formulas, common to the patents, patent applications, and texts on the subject, but if you questioned whether prior posts of this thread were English - you have not seen anything yet. The graphs that I'll have posted here have all come from the referenced paper. (Yay - pictures) For those dismayed by "Techno Bla Bla" stop reading now!
*** DANGER ***

Your statement is rather provocative. I hope you don't mind if I comment, on it, and on what follows.

I see no evidence of Quantum Electrodynamics in your discussion. In any event, surely the semiconductor physics involved in the Foveon sensor is accessible using a rather simpler approach to quantum mechanics.

Quote:
Foveon Structure

Here is the conceptual structure of a Foveon photosite:

Note the use of the word filtering in the title - Foveon's word.

Quote:
For anyone desiring a refresher, here is a video from the University of California TV's YouTube channel The Power of the Sun - The Science of the Silicon Solar Cell. ( I do recommend everyone watch this video since it provides a wonderfully succinct explanation of this effect. )

It may be succinct but it's not wonderful. It's a difficult subject to present well at High School level. The Bohr model and hydrogen atom spectra are OK but the band theory is suspect. The conduction band is shown to be physically removed from the valence band. They occupy the same region of space.

Quote:
A side note: this phenomenon is so critical to our modern world that this was the discovery for which Albert Einstein won the Nobel prize. His theories of relativity came later and didn't do it.

The prize was for the photoelectric effect - the radiation stimulated emmission of electrons from a metal. Although it helped provide the foundations for quantum theory Einstein did not (AFAIK) study the p-n junction.

Quote:
A cause for confusion in the above diagram is the choice of the word Filter as in "filtering the color components...". In a photographic context, a filter separates incident light through either absorption or reflection delivering a reduction from the incident intensity to the optics that follow. In the Foveon stacked junction structure the layers do not filter, but more accurately possess a characteristic spectral dependent sensitivity...

Again we must disagree. A photographic filter is typically an organic dye containing an extended system of delocalised electrons. Absorption can be described as being due to the excitation of an electron from the highest occupied molecular orbital (analogous to the top of the valence band in a semiconductor) to the lowest unoccupied molecular orbital (the bottom of the conduction band. In the case of both the dye and the semiconductor the absorbed photon is filtered out. It is not available for absorption elsewhere.

Quote:
A violet photon with an energy corresponding to a wavelength of .4um is easily absorbed and that this absorption occurs close to the crystal surface. By contrast, a red photon whose energy corresponds to .7um is not as easily absorbed, but more importantly, this absorption characteristically occurs at a greater depth. Some people conclude that since the blue and green sensing junctions are above the red, that the red junction has less photons available to see. This error stems from thinking of the junctions as photographic filters taking light away and leaving less for the layers below, but remember, we are dealing with quantum electrodynamics and an essential property of quantum physics, something that gave Albert Einstein grave concern is the concept of "Maybe". Remember the famous Einstein quote "God does not play dice!" ? Every phenomenon of quantum physics is governed by probability functions, i.e. what is the likelihood of an event occurring:

So what are you saying ? Is the violet photon absorbed or not ? Maybe ? Well it is or it isn't. If it is, it can't travel to lower layers and be absorbed there.

Quote:
Ultraviolet wavelengths can liberate electrons from the molecules in your skin's living cells which alters chemical processes, i.e. creating vitamin D and causing sunburn.

The vitamin D reaction is a [1,7]-sigmatropic hydrogen shift - an intramolecular rearrangement which does not involve free electrons.

Quote:
The overall spectral sensitivity curves are:

This chart also explains an important property of the Foveon imager, of the little bit of light that does constructively yield a measure of light intensity, each junction ends up sensing photons across the whole visual spectrum.

This is not where we started - is it ? It's just like the rececptors in a bayer sensor...

http://scien.stanford.edu/class/psych221/projects/05/joanmoh/spectral.html

...except that the Bayer sensor gives much cleaner separation between the three primary colours.

Quote:
And... I'm not done yet. Wink Just to show that I need a performance level of technology rather than brand name, here is a stacked photosite technology that Nikon has developed:

This diagram comes from US Patent #7,138,663, Color separation device of solid-state image sensor. Instead of applying a Bayer filter mask to the imager surface, a primary separation array of dichroic mirrors is applied to the chip. Incident light is focused by a microlens through a small aperture in an opaque mask covering the chip and dichrioc mirror array. The dichroic mirrors of each photosite separate and distribute the red, green, and blue light to the respective photoreceptors. In theory, this would yield a clarity and resolution of a Foveon with better sensitivity and with less imager noise and with out the data manipulation induced noise.

Then, why don't I have a Nikon camera ? Nikon tech support !

Curious about this technology, I contacted Nikon Support and, oddly enough, they answered.

My inquiry:
Quote:

I am curious as to which dSLR's currently available utilize an imager based on the technology described in US Patent 7,138,663 titled "Color separation device of solid-state image sensor".

Also, regarding new camera designs becoming available, how can I tell if this technology is being used ?

I personally feel Bayer masked imagers are inadequate for color image capture and this Patent describes a potentially acceptable technology.

Their first reply:
Quote:

HI

Thanks for the question. I'm sorry but we generally don't disclose technology about how our cameras work internally. May I ask what you feel is wrong with current cameras when used in real world conditions?

-David

My reply:
Quote:

There is nothing wrong with Bayer masked imager based cameras, if the photographer is willing to compromise on image quality by allowing interpolation algorithms to guess what colors are actually being focused on the imager. I just do not believe such technology is the best solution to the problem, and I want any camera that I use to sense the whole spectra at every photosite.

Sigma with their Foveon X3 based SD14 employs a stacked photodiode junctions to achieve color image sensing.

Your patent 7,138,663 demonstrates an alternative means to sense color which, like the Foveon, is NOT based on a Bayer filter mask and the interpolation overhead associated with it.

I take the time to research technology and I will not even consider purchasing a camera if I do not understand the technology upon which it's based and it still has to meet my quality standards.

Their final answer:
Quote:

HI

Thanks for the feedback. We generally compare real-world, final outputs rather than specifications and so far haven't seen any other technology which produces superior images, including film, to our current products. Thanks

-David

Confused Rolling Eyes Question Shocked

To say that this pissed me off and left a bad taste in my mouth regarding anything Nikon is a bit of an understatement. So, if anyone can provide insight on Nikon's cameras employing US Patent 7,138,663, I'd be appreciative.

So you trash the whole of Nikon's camera line - and you're the one who feels pissed off !!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
anu, i would love to hear what you heard about the colorchart experiment, but unfortunately i dont have any such chart or facsimilie thereof to confirm/dispute whatever result you have in mind, sorry. Sad

It doesn't have to be a color chart, but some small object (magazine, book,...) you can easily turn upside down Smile

Anyhow, doing the color chart experiment should provide measurably different colors depending on the orientation of the chart, when using SPP, because the software has to do some work to improve the colours provided by the camera. I don't have a Sigma camera, so can't see for myself if this is the case, but since this was told by certain person who usually is right when it comes to cameras...)

Quote:

take from this thread is that, no matter how hard we try, photography is NOT a science, its an art. as with all art, beauty is in the eye of the

I agree that photography can be art, however comparing and anylyzing camera technologies is science. Actual photographs are only useful for measurements and such Smile

Quote:

maybe patrickh had it right re foveon--its been stuck in the same technical place for several years while other technology has advanced and thus the foveon advantage has passed. to my eye, and to a school

The Foveon advantage is a myth - there never was any. At best it was mostly equal in resolution, but inferior in pretty much all the other departments. Nowdays it is obsolete. However, that does not mean one can't take brilliant pictures with it. A good photographer can take great images with Holga, I can't take images worth their weight in sand with a Pentax K20D...

Quote:

of others, i still see a difference in depth, in feel. might i trade that in for

Actually you're seeing mostly differences in processing - if one takes Canon 7D, bins 2 greens, red and blue pixel into one full color pixel, one effectively gets a 4.5 megapixel foveon-type image (though, with more accurate color, less noise etc.). This is of course a very bad way of debayering raw-data.

Still, I am happy if you're happy with the tool you use for your hobby. I do actually like the concept of Foveon, in principle, but it just might not be a good solution in practise. Eventually all the cameras will (I hope) have full color pixels, or maybe even the individual photons will be recorded, yet there is no problem using a tool one is happy with, even if it is a Holga Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anu it was fun debating with you, but i think absolute statements, like the foveon advantage was a myth, are, to quote you, just silly. there is no absolute science in this as is perfectly exemplified by steaphany and sichko going back and forth differing over their subjective analysis of the exact same technical data. we pretend there is science to justify our subjective opinions, perhaps because we are insecure about them. i dont need to point to something external to justify my choices, nor do i feel it necessary to take my subjective analysis of technical data to prove someone else's choice of hardware is inferior. there is a whole community of very good photographers, and very good engineers, who think your analysis of foveon is full of beans. doesnt mean they're right; doesnt mean you're right; means there really isnt a 'right'.
tony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating thread ... I'm not really sure I ever fully understood the technicalities of black & white emulsions and chemistry, so some of this is really rather beyond my ageing brain Embarassed

On a slightly different note, I do think Nikon's responses to a technical question and personal observation were - to say the very least - patronising and dismissive. There ARE polite ways to fend off questions you don't want to answer. But then, would Canon, or Pentax, or Leica, or anyone else have been any more informative?