Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FD lenses on a 600D/T3i
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: FD lenses on a 600D/T3i Reply with quote

Anyone has got any experience combining the two?
I am expecting my lenses and adaptor bought on eBay to arrive withing the next month (shipping to Brazil takes a while mostly because customs processing is too damn slow).

This is what will arrive:
Canon FD 50mm f:1.8 Olympic Games 1984 special edition (with box, manual and special edition caps)
Tefnon FD 28mm f:2.8 (with box and a filter)
Canon FD to EOS generic adapter (no glass version with caps, planning on buying the glass version too to compare the difference latter)

So, what do you guys think?

Oh, and by the way, I'll be using them to shoot RAW with Magic Lantern

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the fact that adapters without glass don't allow your lens to reach infnity focus, you should be fine.
I regularly shoot with manual lenses on a 5dIII for work and I really like it: you appreciate things like build quality and smooth rings even more when you shoot video.
I especially like using lenses with very strong character when I shoot video, and since the low - compared to a still - resolution of standard fullhd is quite forgiving in terms of sharpness, I enjoy also lenses that are not so great by standard parameters.

As for your lenses, I never used fd's for video, but I had the fd 50/1.8 and it was a nice lens, you should be enjoying using that.
The glassed adapter can be intriguing if you are into flares,ghosts and glow: with the lens set at wider apertures, pointed at the right angle towards a light source it can provide some extra funkiness - with a little price to pay in terms of sharpness.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, guess I'm buying the glass adapter too.... I'm really counting on these bad boys to arrive home mid-end january because Brazil's post office is damn slow sometimes....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a bit of fd glass which I currently use on a 650d, my advice would be to get the best adapter that you can afford and if you add to your lens collection try and get Canon lenses that are designated as SSC (super spectrum coating, basically L glass), and Google all other marques if something takes your eye.
The adapter I use is relatively expensive however it does have Hoya glass and can be easily removed for close up work.
I have had several professionally converted to EF which include, 20-35L, 50 1.2 ssc, the rare 50-135 and I just got a Vivitar 135 f2.3 s1 back which I haven't had chance to test yet.
Vintage quality glass is hard to beat in the right hands and when you nail a shot for some reason I get more of a buzz from it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mr G!
My 50mm 1.8 just arrived and it is gorgeous!!! It's even in the original Olympic games edition box, with manuals, special edition lens cap, everything! Too bad my adapter has not arrived yet, neither has the Tefnon 28mm (which after some research I discovered it was a brand Tokina used to sell primes in the 70's and 80's and latter dropped out that brand and went just with Tokina. They had another brand name for zoom lenses too...). I am still deciding if I will declick these puppies, but I'll not convert them to EOS, I'll leave the FD mount alone, just use the adapter.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, hope ur getting on well with the fd glass u bought and the adapter meets your requirements. I have tested the Vivitar 135mm f2.3 and its gorgeous, now if I can master the art of follow focus I will be firing on all cylinders!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've received my first adapter, the glassless one, and am happily doing macro stills.

I'm still waiting my glassed adapter to be able to focus to infinity and do video tests...