Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

faulty focus of Olympus mju-ii?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: faulty focus of Olympus mju-ii? Reply with quote

After getting good results with my mju-i , I stumbled upon a mju-ii in a thrift shop and brought it with me on my summer holidays, shooting two rolls of cheap Lomography 100ASA with it.

The results I got were not as satisfactory as I had hoped.

A lot of shots were miss-focussed, also wider shots were not as sharp as I had expected.

With my mju-i, the red focussing beam always showed when half pressing the shutter button, but with the mju-ii I did not see this.

Could this mean that the focussing is defective?

Here are some shots to illustrate the issue, unedited scans.

Here is a shot that was just fine.

Any ideas on what might be issue..?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I do not know if your camera is defective, but this is exactly my own experience with this camera. Now and then I got a properly focussed picture, but most are missfocused. The sharpness is OK, but IMO not stellar as it is frequently quoted. I have tried two mju II cameras and one was slightly better that the other but none of them was excellent. I use now a Konica A4 and found it sharper and much more consistent than the olympus. The ergonomics are worse though. Best regards

javier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Javier.

Interesting to hear that you have had the same experience.

I also have a mju-I, and on the one single roll that I have run through it the only misfocused one was a selfie that was probably too close.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF is out of whack.
Not unexpected on a camera thats almost 20 years old.

Mine worked extremely well in its day (before digital)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
AF is out of whack.
Not unexpected on a camera thats almost 20 years old.

Could that be explained by the fact that I don't see a red beam when half-pressing the shutter button?

Beautiful shot you have there!
Surprising to see that the camera set a relatively large aperture in that sunny scene there.
Perhaps it was shot with slow film speed..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know - it was a long time ago (she is at UCLA now) so I'm not sure what I did.
And though I probably still have the camera and the negatives I don't know where they ended up.
This is a scan of a print.
It wasn't 400 color print film for sure, I always hated that stuff.
Almost certainly Fuji.

The camera had a backlight mode, thats what I was using I think.
IIRC it did not have a manual ISO setting feature.

Yes, focus confirm was a light, red or green IIRC. Mine was a Stylus (US naming). So there may have been design differences also.