Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

fast and good 28mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Schemel wrote:
Is the minolta MC 28mm f2 any good?
-Jim

It was about time someone mentioned Minolta.

I think the Minolta 24 2.8 may be the best 24mm available (maybe only loosing slightly to Leica?)

And the Minolta 28 f/2 should be awesome too, I have a 35 f/2 in AF mount and is fantastic, great bokeh and sharp wide-open, the 28 f/2 should be at least as good, if not better.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though not so fast but for 28mm , I love my Konica Hexanon and Hexar 28mm f3.5 Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:
Jim Schemel wrote:
Is the minolta MC 28mm f2 any good?
-Jim

It was about time someone mentioned Minolta.

I think the Minolta 24 2.8 may be the best 24mm available (maybe only loosing slightly to Leica?)

And the Minolta 28 f/2 should be awesome too, I have a 35 f/2 in AF mount and is fantastic, great bokeh and sharp wide-open, the 28 f/2 should be at least as good, if not better.

The Leica 2.8/24 is the Minolta formula with floating elements.
Leitz only did assemble the Minolta glasses in Wetzlar to make them better with their precision standards. Thats all. The lens is the same.
Only the housing is Leica... and the brand. Minolta delivers the glasses, Leica did give the housing with their standard and did assemble...

But as far as i know, you cant convert it to Pentax. Or?

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:

last time I tried the Leica 24, I don't find it very good
http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-elmarit-24-vs-tamron-t4955.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Ivan Lee wrote:

last time I tried the Leica 24, I don't find it very good
http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-elmarit-24-vs-tamron-t4955.html

I tried the lens only on a crop cam, which is using only the center"sweet spot" and it was surprisingly good.

The lens doesnt work on a EOS 5D FF, without shaving the mirror, so i decided to test the lens on my little 400D. As far as i could view, for a crop the lens is great. The outer sections maybe not as good as the center, but for a crop cam excellent. Did sell this lens, because i couldnt solve the mirror problem.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, so many answers, so many good solutions, makes my head spin..and raises many new questions Wink

I will have a lookout for f2, f2.5, series 1 f1.9 Vivitars, f2 Tokina, f2.5 Tamron Adaptall, also Vivitar f2.8 and Yashinon f2.8, though they are not as fast as wished for.
may pass on the Vivitar Tx for need of another adapter and the other lenses because of incompatibility with my camera

I believe that the recommendations of Hinnerker and Alex for Distagon 28mm and Yashinon 24mm may point at the best lenses.
Hinneker however pointed out DS-M, Alex the ML..
and does anybody know how about the 2.8/28 ( not the 24mm recommended ) Yashinon Auto DX? ( could get one in a package )

this thread did make me rethink too: maybe it is time I stopped buying 'rather' good lenses on a small budget but instead, along the lines as pointed out by Hinnerker - the typical reporter set (on Fullframe) being a 35mm, a 50mm, a 90mm and a 135mm - should try to get my 'ultimate' travel kit together, though I possibly would want to start a bit wider

I should start another thread asking for

- 'the ultimate 3 or 4 lens kit for travel / street / documentary photography'
again with a limitd budget, but let's say around 1000 USD for the 3 or 4 lenses
1st: for my Pentax *istDs, that is limited to M42, K mount and Adaptall lenses ( Leitax optional )
2nd: for Canon crop camera, and
3rd: for Canon/Sony FF camera

thank you everybody for your valuable input
best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 2.8/28 is a very good performer for me...