Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Falcon 9 Launch
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Falcon 9 Launch Reply with quote

I fielded an all-MF team at the most recent SpaceX launch:

Zuiko 28/3.5

Zuiko 50/1.8 MC

Super-Takumar 35/3.5

Sigma 90/2.8 Macro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 ecellent work!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!
You use three or more remote controlled cameras on tripods, and you are some more meters away?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderful experience!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

ZoneV wrote:
Great!
You use three or more remote controlled cameras on tripods, and you are some more meters away?

I have four remotely operated cameras and can usually spin up a few more on short notice.

On this occasion I had returned to the other side of the state when this launch finally happened. But yes, we're outside a several mile exclusion zone during any launch.

This is the camera with the Sigma 90. I even use vintage tripods.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of box is this? Should it shield the camera from debris?
Several miles away? Is it still impressive there? How was this at Apollo launches back then?

EDIT: Found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_Complex_39_Press_Site
Press center during Apollo was 3 miles away from launching pad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_Complex_39_Press_Site

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box shelters the camera from the weather and sun. It also provides velcro mounting for triggers and dew heaters.

The destructive forces of a launch usually aren't directed anywhere near where the cameras are set. That said, things can get sporty at Delta IV launches. And I have an ongoing saga with solid rocket exhaust etching lens coatings.

There's several active launch pads (SLC-37, SLC-40, and SLC-41 on the military side, LC-39A on the civilian side) and several viewing sites (Press Site, NASA causeway, ITL causeway). The closest combination puts us about 1.75 miles away, while the farthest is almost 7 miles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the explanation!