Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extreme macro?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Extreme macro? Reply with quote

What combination/lenses is good to use for most extreme macro photography?
Currently I use a flektogon 35mm f2.4 mounted on bellows, so I can get to about 3:1 macro. But at this magnification lens correction are not good any more so the image is not as sharp as it could be.
A dedicated macro lens without a flowting element won't have a higher magnification than this setup, probably just better correction. What about a lens with a floating element? What happens with magnification and abberation when it is mounted on bellows?

Just for example what I can do now:
Tartaric acid crystals on the bottom of a wine cork (probably @f11)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of options to choose from, I don't have a favorite as I don't need more than 1:1 for my work. Just by incident, I tried reversed lens macro yesterday, with a reversed wide-angle.

These are the grooves on a vinyl record, area shown is likely about 10-15mm wide on the vinyl. Top is full frame and below is 100% crop from lower right 1/3rd of the image. Shot with a Nikkor 24/2.8 Ai-S reversed on a D700, aperture set to f/22. I could have achieved better results by not stopping down so much but I wanted DoF and I was only going to use the photo downsized to 720px anyways so I didn't care about 100% detail.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the many samples in this forum of enlarging lenses adapted to bellows for great close focus/macro at a very reasonable price.

BTW many of these lenses have M39 threading mounts, which makes adaptation simple.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Extreme macro? Reply with quote

sammo wrote:

Tartaric acid crystals on the bottom of a wine cork (probably @f11)

It looks cleary like diffraction is the limiting factor here. You should try to shoot @ f/4, f/5.6 or so (and maybe use a focus stacking software like CombinZP, Zerene or so to increase the DOF) if you wan't to get better quality out of the same lens.
I have no clue how the floating elements have influence when the lenses are used on bellows though.

I got good results @3:1 be using a reversed 40mm lens on and 100mm macro lens bye the way.
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1202934.html#1202934

And as I'm a chemist I also have to say that it's actually not tartaric acid but mostly calcium- and potassium hydrogen tartrate Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, diffraction is the limit, but not clearly, for me it seems that abberations still play a role. Lens abberations limit resolution if I open the aperture more and the image is not as pleasant as the lens abberations are too strong, there is no contrast.

I will probably buy an adapter to try with a reversed lens on short telephoto.

And I'm a chemist too Smile i haven't payed much attention to what they accually are Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammo wrote:
And I'm a chemist too Smile i haven't payed much attention to what they accually are Smile

Me too Razz

Why don't you taste? Smile