Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Experiments with a simple doublet lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Experiments with a simple doublet lens Reply with quote

Recently, I was given a box of lenses (and by that I mean lens elements) that belonged to my Grandfather. Amongst them I found a couple of doublets (presumably achromats) of 2-inch diameter. I decided to see how they would work and so fastened one to the end of a bellows on my Oly EPL1. Focusing to infinity would suggest the focal length is 4-1/4 inches. The front surface of the lens has an anti-reflection coating of some sort, but the back is uncoated. Below is a picture of the lens on the bellows. the second lens is leaning against the bellows. As fitted, the lens is apertured down to about f3.5.

Below are some sample pictures taken indoors with available light. The cat pictures are ISO1600, so there is some noise, and are hand-held. The shooting distance was probably about 3 metres.

The other pictures were taken with the camera tripod mounted and with the aid of a bright lamp so the ISO is 100. The shooting distance is between 1 and 2 m. This is really too close for a simple doublet, so it's not surprising the results are a little on the soft side. I know my attempts at "still life" photography are rather feeble, but what do you think of my simple lens??

The only PP is white balance on the cat pictures, minor tweak to levels (surprisingly good saturation with this lens), but definitely no sharpening.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it,especially for macro flora,would be interested in seeing a nice feminine soft focus head and shoulder portrait with this set-up.Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Beautiful cat Reply with quote

That is a beautiful cat Very Happy and pretty good results using the elements too, tis great fun experimenting!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice ones! That was my first soft focus lens I made.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Rabby Burns day to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind words.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing experiments.
(I guess I should take out my bellows and lens stuff again.)