Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Exakta cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the M42 version of the Twin TL (yes, at one point they did that), though its a wreck.
If you want the lensmount from it thats an option.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some photos from my VX 1000 and a Trioplan 2.9/50 lens. It was a very dull day and I had a very hard time focusing with the prism viewfinder. The film was some out of date 100 ISO film that I cannot remember the name of unfortunately. The first 6 were edited in Photoshop. The first one is double or triple exposed by accident on the last frame of film, because the frame counter was not working properly.
Here are my Exakta and Exa cameras with some lenses. I have only used the VX 1000, but I will at least test all of them.

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/201412/big_5988_F1740031_1.jpg][url]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Great photo the double exposed one ! Worth a big print !
2 I thought I'm the only one having problems focusing thru exakta system
3 Beautiful cameras
4 Good results in the end ,that's important
5 Nice series
6 Exaktas are cameras with character ,of a special kind , I love them

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teo wrote:
1 Great photo the double exposed one ! Worth a big print !
2 I thought I'm the only one having problems focusing thru exakta system
3 Beautiful cameras
4 Good results in the end ,that's important
5 Nice series
6 Exaktas are cameras with character ,of a special kind , I love them

Thank you.
Have you tried using the waist level viewfinder?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, The results were worse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the waist level finder that takes interchangeable focus screens, use that with a split image screen and you won't have any problems.

I actually prefer the plain ground glass and have never had any problem with it. But I have found that many old prisms hav custom diopter eyepieces installed making them unusable for me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using an Exakta is a different experience. They just cant be used as fast as something like a Pentax Spotmatic. Everything is done slower.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focussing is easy with Exakta if you use the very bright and exakt working more modern fresnell-lenses with spli-image and or micro-prism ring or dot.

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'll fid the time and disposition to get the focusing screens needed. After all there was a system from Exacta exactly Laughing for that.
My Varex IIb need a cleaning and lubing for best results , but has the courtains OK .Probably I should begin lubing first my IIa with pinholes in courtains just to learn the process....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, for those of you Exacta fans who havn't seen it yet, here is a great site with lots of info about Exacta cameras:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/exakta/index.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Exakta cameras. One is the Twin TL, which is a different bayonet mount, the other a Varex IIa. The Varex has a jammed shutter. Luckily there is plenty of information on the dis assembly and repair on the internet. I will give it a try soon.

Thanks to 'guardian' posting in the adapters section, [img]http://forum.mflenses.com/ke-t-mount-adapter-t69328.html[/img] I found a Exakta to T mount adapter so I can use 'T' lenses on Exakta and Exa bodies I have. That led me to some research which resulted in ordering Topcon/Exakta adaptall adapter. I hope it fits, should be delivered the first week in January. I am looking forward to trying the 90mm macro (52B)

Here is an EXA 1a with my old f8/500mm lens using the KE to T mount.

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set ,Phil !Good for Street shooting for losing yourself in the crowd and not being noticed Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, because of the shutter of the Exa, this combo will give you some vignetting with your shots.

Klaus

PWhite214 wrote:

Here is an EXA 1a with my old f8/500mm lens using the KE to T mount.

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, TEO, I am positive no one would notice that camera pointed in their direction.

Exaklaus, I did read about vignetting with T-mount lenses, but for $5, I thought the adapter would be a nice addition to my collection. Also thinking that the Tamron Adaptall may have the same problem, but willing to try to see if it is useful.

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most lenses above 100mm will vignet.
Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the Tamron adapter, but it is an Adaptamatic instead of Adaptall. I could send it back, but the price was good, so in the adapter box it goes. I'll just have to wait to use the Tamron lenses.

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got bit bad by the Exakta bug about two years ago.
I owned an Exa IIa as a teenager, loved it, but lost it somehow during college.
This time around I've managed to accumulate 20 working examples, encompasing every major variant of Exakta/Exa, going back to the VP.
Some weren't in the best working order when I got them, but repair turned out to be pretty interesting and doable with the proper tools and a little internet research.
My repair goals were not necessarily a complete rehab, just a prompt return to a reasonably functional shooting condition.
I did run into the rubber curtain/pinhole problem a few times. Turns out that you can get a pretty serviceable result by painting the pinholes or wrinkled curtains on the film side with a 50/50 mix of black spray-on flexible sealant and thinner.
This can range from a few dabs on isolated holes to coating the entire curtain.
This kind of repair isn't as elegant as a curtain replacement, and obviously isn't as durable. But my experience with it in several cameras is that it has been holding up fine for casual use. The extra mass of a lot of paint does appear to slow down the faster shutter speeds some, but negligible for slower speeds. Would also be cautious about subjecting your repair job to temperature extremes.
Seized or very loud/slow/hesitant/resistant mechanisms can often be improved by a few drops of lighter fluid (naphtha), but be real careful with this around rubberized curtains.
There is something very satisfying about bringing one of these old babes back into service, and I've shot enough rolls through each to recognize that every one has a unique character.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got bit bad by the Exakta bug about two years ago.
I owned an Exa IIa as a teenager, loved it, but lost it somehow during college.
This time around I've managed to accumulate 20 working examples, encompasing every major variant of Exakta/Exa, going back to the VP.
Some weren't in the best working order when I got them, but repair turned out to be pretty interesting and doable with the proper tools and a little internet research.
My repair goals were not necessarily a complete rehab, just a prompt return to a reasonably functional shooting condition.
I did run into the rubber curtain/pinhole problem a few times. Turns out that you can get a pretty serviceable result by painting the pinholes or wrinkled curtains on the film side with a 50/50 mix of black spray-on flexible sealant and thinner.
This can range from a few dabs on isolated holes to coating the entire curtain.
This kind of repair isn't as elegant as a curtain replacement, and obviously isn't as durable. But my experience with it in several cameras is that it has been holding up fine for casual use. The extra mass of a lot of paint does appear to slow down the faster shutter speeds some, but negligible for slower speeds. Would also be cautious about subjecting your repair job to temperature extremes.
Seized or very loud/slow/hesitant/resistant mechanisms can often be improved by a few drops of lighter fluid (naphtha), but be real careful with this around rubberized curtains.
There is something very satisfying about bringing one of these old babes back into service, and I've shot enough rolls through each to recognize that every one has a unique character.