Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ernst Leitz GmbH Wetzlar Leica Summaron f=2.8cm 1 : 5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Ernst Leitz GmbH Wetzlar Leica Summaron f=2.8cm 1 : 5.6 Reply with quote

Does someone have any experience with this lens? Is around 400 euros a reasonable price for it? The lens comes with genuine caps and case. The seller says its in new condition!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used one, and it is an old design wide-angle. There will be much better lenses for actual use. As a usable lens and collectible, that is a very good price. You are not likely to lose money on a Leitz lens like this- but as always, be able to inspect and return if it is not what the seller claims it to be.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say no matter what the price is don't get these old Leicas. I have had really bad experience with sellers who claimed their lens as "Mint" or "Excellent" most of these sellers who sell Leica at cheaper price don't know much about lenses to be honest.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 Euro sounds very cheap for this lens in "new condition".
But such estimation about the condition is a hard thing. Could you visit the seller and look at the lens?
I would not buy this lens for photography - but probably because I own one Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the seller proposes to come and see the lens. I'm afraid I just can't test the lens for lack of an adapter, M 39 to Nex, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little history on the 28mm f/5.6 Summaron:

1) It replaced the 28mm Hektor in 1956.
2) It took advantage of the then-new rare earth glass which gave it a boost in performance over the old Hektor
3) It was the only member of the "fifties generation" Leitz screw mount glass that was NOT made in bayonet form

If you are interested in user value as opposed to collector value, the Minolta M Rokkor 28mm f/2.8 made for Minolta/Leitz CLE is a lens I have experience with (sadly traded away with a CLE years ago) and can vouch for. It probably can be had for less than the old Summaron, and it may fit your needs. There are probably some Cosina/Voigtlander or Russian alternatives as well.

Here is an example of the Rokkor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-M-ROKKOR-28mm-1-2-8-Minolta-CLE-Voigtlander-KONICA-Hexar-LEICA-M-fit-/190878784862?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item2c71431d5e *

I hope this helps!

Paul

*I have no idea who this Ebay seller is, and I don't endorse him/her in any way - just posted as an example.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi quidam,

The MTF curves shown in Erwin Puts' big book indicated that the 28/5.6 Summaron is a pretty good lens - but given its modest specification that shouldn't be too surprising. Maybe 400 Euros is a "reasonable" price in today's wild market for Leica lenses, but, if you'll forgive me for saying so, is there really any point in buying it to use on a Nex camera? In effect, you'll have a lens of more-or-less "normal" coverage for the format, with a very modest maximum aperture . . . at a far from cheap price. If you have a Leica or other 35mm rangefinder camera, then that's a different thing altogether, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400eu? Forget it, way, way too much, even if it is a Leica. You can buy a Contax G Biogon 2.8/28 for half that and the Biogon will be a hell of a lot better.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for almost half that money, i'd recommend buying a C/Y Distagon 28/f2.8

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a Industar 69 28mm f/2.8 for a few bucks Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, look Orion 15 28mm f5.6 may it's Russian clone, 150 EUR. I thing any suggestion above is better deal. Even Industat for next to nothing difference will be not much.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Idea buried. I had set my mind on it, but its over now.

Wink