Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Enlarger lenses at infinity
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Ray, are you speaking from general principles or from measurement? I ask because I've measured and the process lenses I mentioned don't agree with your assessment of them. Slow symmetrical dialytes, in particular, hold their corrections surprisingly well at all distances.

Just general principles and limited measurements on various duplication lenses and a couple process lenses. I'm sure there are some lenses out there that buck the trend, but what that likely means is they are not very good process lenses, or at the very least are not fully optimized. The best process and duplication lenses require modification of the lens formula to optimize them for each narrow range of magnification. Outside that range, the formula is non-optimum and sharpness and distortion suffer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
danfromm wrote:
Ray, are you speaking from general principles or from measurement? I ask because I've measured and the process lenses I mentioned don't agree with your assessment of them. Slow symmetrical dialytes, in particular, hold their corrections surprisingly well at all distances.

Just general principles and limited measurements on various duplication lenses and a couple process lenses. I'm sure there are some lenses out there that buck the trend, but what that likely means is they are not very good process lenses, or at the very least are not fully optimized. The best process and duplication lenses require modification of the lens formula to optimize them for each narrow range of magnification. Outside that range, the formula is non-optimum and sharpness and distortion suffer.

Ray, wash your mind out with soap.

Apo-Ronars and dialyte type Apo-Nikkors are the best in their class. Apochromatic, nil distortion, and quite sharp. And they hold their corrections very well to infinity. I have trouble understanding why you believe otherwise.

If you made your claims on the French LF forum, Henri Gaud, who works to very high standards and expects that others will too, would excoriate you. If you made them on the US LF forum, which doesn't have anyone quite like Henri, you'd receive a lot of disagreement and some polite abuse.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Ray, wash your mind out with soap.

Apo-Ronars and dialyte type Apo-Nikkors are the best in their class. Apochromatic, nil distortion, and quite sharp. And they hold their corrections very well to infinity. I have trouble understanding why you believe otherwise.

I know little of the Apo-Ronars but have tested Apo-Nikkors and was not impressed even at 1:1, and their distortion and sharpness performance falls off either side. They are of course superbly-corrected at 1:1, but are not apochromatic at infinity and are absolutely not designed for a wide range of mags, instead optimized for 1:1 where most distortions are defacto corrected by their perfect symmetry. Now, I'm not shooting LF, so my perspective on sharpness is skewed by the effects of tiny pixels and diffraction effects. And my references are exotics like Printing-Nikkors and Apo EL-Nikkors, which do indeed behave well with small pixels.

I don't want to get on anyone's bad side, but my mind is quite clean and not needing to be soaped-down! I may just have a slightly different perspective on the matter.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, thanks for the reply. It prompted a few questions.

Which Apo-Nikkors did you try? I ask because there are two Apo-Nikkor design types, tessar and dialyte. Reports on the tessar types aren't uniformly favorable, reports on the dialytes are. A list of Apo-Nikkors that gives design type is at http://www.galerie-photo.com/apo-process-nikkors-en.html

I'm ancient, still shoot film, haven't been willing to buy a really good digital rig. But I try to pay attention to what those who are braver or richer than I am say and am puzzled by what they (including you) say about CA and diffraction. I'd appreciate further explanations or direction to them. No need for you to type what's been typed already.

What bothers me about digital types' discussions of CA is that they assert that lenses which don't have color fringing problems on film have them on digital. I can't tell whether they're slagging the lenses or their sensors, suspect sensor issues. Any insights?

What bothers me about discussions of diffraction is claims that pixel size somehow affects it. I can understand how pixel size limits the best resolution a sensor can give, have problems with the idea that it has anything to do with a lens' performance. Understand, I've shot USAF 1951 targets at a range of effective apertures with diffraction limited lenses, have seen the bars' images on film broaden until they merge and the contrast between bar and space go away as the lens is stopped down. So I do know at first hand what diffraction does.

Directing me to good explanations is as good as typing them yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Ian, keep an eye out for 150/9 G-Clarons, whose cells are direct fits in a #0, and 150/9 Apo-Ronars, some of which have cells that are direct fits in a #0. Beware of the tiny 150/9 Klimsch Apo-Ronars whose cells don't go into a standard shutter. I have a couple of these last, they're great, but they need adapters to be front-mounted. TTH made a very nice little tessar type 6"/9 Cooke Copying Lens that's quite good but, like the Klimsch Apo Ronars, has cells that don't go into a standard shutter. Boyer made a 100/9 Apo Saphir but they're quite rare.

None of these lenses but the G-Claron covers much more than 45 degrees. Chris Perez and Kerry Thalmann tested a couple of G-Clarons. You might find their results interesting. See http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

I had G-Claron 150/9 - it did really well up to a few meters - but above that it was soft on APS-C - it needed F18-F22 to get sharp pictures @ infinity, while it was very sharp already wide open for close-up work! That would be no problem for large format but it's inferior to most lenses I know on APS-C at infinity

Wide open

Wide open

F18 - F22:

-Sry - I have no infinity wide open sample - but it's much softer at wider apertures!
Pic is made at the same place and the same time as the upper ones
All are straight jpegs from NEX-5N, all without PP

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wollensak Raptar 162mm f4.5 on bellows, great at infinity down. There are photos on forum by cooltouch(Michael)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting about the G-Claron. I would use it at f16-f22 so it should perform okay at infinity, but it's a bit too long for me, it would be more useful on 9x12 or 4x5 than on 6x9 which I am using.

Soon I'm going to stick the cells of my Componon 5.6/80 in a Prontor-S and try it on my Selfix 220 6x6 which has sliding bed focusing and an 80mm Ensar Anastigmat in a Prontor that needs cleaning as it sticks on all but one speed.

I might grab another Componon 5.6/80 sometime so I can compare using front and rear cells to using a pair of rear cells, which should be closer to a Symmar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Ray, thanks for the reply. It prompted a few questions.

Which Apo-Nikkors did you try? I ask because there are two Apo-Nikkor design types, tessar and dialyte. Reports on the tessar types aren't uniformly favorable, reports on the dialytes are. A list of Apo-Nikkors that gives design type is at http://www.galerie-photo.com/apo-process-nikkors-en.html

Thanks for that link, interesting stuff. I tried the 180mm and 240mm Apo-Nikkors, which are both listed as dialyte, so the issue is not the lens formula. I always thought all Apo-Nikkors were Double-Gauss (I read that somewhere...) but now find that none actually are!

danfromm wrote:
I'm ancient, still shoot film, haven't been willing to buy a really good digital rig. But I try to pay attention to what those who are braver or richer than I am say and am puzzled by what they (including you) say about CA and diffraction. I'd appreciate further explanations or direction to them. No need for you to type what's been typed already.

What bothers me about digital types' discussions of CA is that they assert that lenses which don't have color fringing problems on film have them on digital. I can't tell whether they're slagging the lenses or their sensors, suspect sensor issues. Any insights?

There is no difference in the way the lens itself behaves on film vs digital sensors, but there are differences in how the film and sensors react to what's presented to them. Could the supposed CA issues actually be "false color" or some other phenomenon? I'm not sure. Do you have a link to a discussion of this topic?

danfromm wrote:
What bothers me about discussions of diffraction is claims that pixel size somehow affects it. I can understand how pixel size limits the best resolution a sensor can give, have problems with the idea that it has anything to do with a lens' performance. Understand, I've shot USAF 1951 targets at a range of effective apertures with diffraction limited lenses, have seen the bars' images on film broaden until they merge and the contrast between bar and space go away as the lens is stopped down. So I do know at first hand what diffraction does.

Directing me to good explanations is as good as typing them yourself.

You are correct, the tradeoff between pixel size and diffraction effects has nothing to do with lens performance, only on the effective aperture (assuming a perfect lens). Smaller pixels mean smaller airy discs to not be limited by diffraction. I think there are some excellent explanations over on photomacrography.net but need to look them up...

Edited to add:

I realized after posting that my last statements appear at odds with my previous ones but in fact they are not. What I said before was

"I'm not shooting LF, so my perspective on sharpness is skewed by the effects of tiny pixels and diffraction effects. And my references are exotics like Printing-Nikkors and Apo EL-Nikkors, which do indeed behave well with small pixels".

So it seems that I'm implying lens performance is an issue, yet all that is at issue is maximum aperture. The Apo-Nikkors are typically f/9, which becomes f/18 at their rated 1:1, way beyond the DLA for most digital cameras, and on top of that they are not recommended to be used wide open, so the situation gets worse.

I'm curious what is the pixel size on LF digital sensors???

Another edit...

Something that is possibly not obvious is that for a fixed sensor/film size, and a fixed final viewing/print size (assuming not large prints), there will be little difference between large and small pixels. It's when you look down into individual pixel-level detail, or do large enlargements, that any differences would become obvious.

One more thing...

I believe I'm correct when I say that most LF digital backs don't utilize anti-aliasing "blur" filters, yet most FF and APS-C sensors have these beasts in place. I don't believe the published DLA numbers I've seen take this into account (does anyone know?) so this complicates the situation a bit. It may be that the effective DLA with filter in place is actually smaller than published numbers, but by how much I am not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, thanks for the reply. You've driven home the point that digital and much of the apparent bilge spouted about digital greatly confuses me. More to learn ...

I've never understood why color fringing should be visible with one image capture technology and not with another. Re color fringing, I know what it looks like, I had a 500/5.6 TeleAthenar II. Not a tele lens at all, a long focus achromatic doublet and poorly achromatized. Can't blame the CA on abuse, I shot the thing only after I had it rebuilt by Century.

Re dialyte type Apo Nikkors, I shot them for test (informal tests, but informative and repeatable) hung far out in front of a Nikon, shoot them for real hung far out in front of a 2x3 Graphic. Test shots were taken at f/9, f/11, f/16, and f/22. I stopped at f/22 because I rarely shoot for real at smaller apertures. Given the format I shoot, I'm really concerned about the center of the image.

My Apo Nikkors stand out from my other process lenses in being nearly as good at f/9 as at f/16 and as good as the others at f/16 and f/22. My Apo Saphirs improved noticeably from f/10 to f/16, matched the Apo Nikkors there. When I mentioned this to Eric Beltrando (you might enjoy a look at his site www.dioptrique.info) he first told me I had to be mistaken, then revisited his calculations and lenses and agreed that Apo Saphirs are better at f/16 than wide open.

I've had three Apo Ronars, a 600/9 monstrosity that I never used because of its size and weight and a pair of 150/9s. Possibly of interest to Ian, I shot the 150's for test against a 150/9 plasmat type G-Claron, promptly sold the G-Claron. I may have had an abused 150G-Claron or a dud. I never tried out the 270 G-Claron I got as part of a bundle, not an easy adaptation to any of my cameras. I've tried and sold three 240 dagor type G-Clarons, all shot the same, all very good; sold because a difficult/expensive adaptation. I have a 210 dagor type G-Claron in the closet, have tried it out (easier adaptation than bigger ones) and in spite of apparent coating problems it is also very good. Not a color fringe from the lot of them, and all good enough to use at distance, even the 150 G-Claron.

Cheers,

Dan
If I hadn't had that TA II I'd suspect that camera lenses with CA were imaginary.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do coin photography and since I push for absolute max sharpness I have seen very few lenses where CA is NOT a problem. Of course CA is of two types, longitudinal and lateral. I suspect what you have seen at lower mags and smaller apertures is lateral, as longitudinal improves in these conditions. But for me, LongCA is a bugaboo that can't be easily corrected, and it ruins color accuracy. I could of course stop-down and reduce the problem, but then I lose sharpness.

I'm down to a handful of lenses that can produce sharp, color-accurate images. The 105AEL does well but is such a rare beast I hate to pull it from its box except for comparison tests. The 74SP is wonderful and imparts that classic Zeiss dimensionality. The 67S3 is ideal for smaller coins, and the 89S3 for larger coins, and both give a neutral look that is great for some types of coins. A new addition to my stable is the 80mm f6.7 Apo-Digitar (80AD) and it gives neutral character similar to the Scitex S3's. I think that neutral character is typical of lenses optimized for scanning, and both the 80AD and the S3's came out of decommissioned scanners. My workhorse is the 75ARD1, which seems to give the most balanced mix of qualities of any of the above, sharp and dimensional. But while it's called an Apo lens it is not apochromatic, just a well-corrected achromat.

Ultimately the 105PN is my reference for what an apochromatic duplication lens should do, and it does it better than any other lens. But there is always a price to pay, and for the 105PN it is a "sterility" that comes along with its optical perfection, as it imparts no character to the image and just shows you what's there. I think of this quality as "accuracy" and I expect this is what the Nikon designers were after. They did not want to impart any "look" to the prints made with the 105PN, just as perfect a reproduction as possible. For coins, this results in the sharpest, most color-accurate presentation available. But alas, the 105PN usually sits in the cabinet with the 105AEL, relegated to comparisons due to both rarity and focal length. I prefer using shorter lenses for most of my work, to keep my setups compact. I'm lucky the 75ARD1 can do well enough to please most anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, thanks for the additional explanation. Interesting and a little strange. Strange because one of the things apo process lenses are supposed to be well-corrected for is longitudinal color. This because they're used to make color separations and longitudinal color would cause the separations to be of slightly different sizes, i.e., not in perfect register.

I can see where you'd have difficulties because of working at relatively low effective apertures. Been there, had the problem, probably at much the same range of magnifications (typically 1:4 to 1:1) but with very different subjects. Small live fish in aquaria. With them the tradeoff between sharpness in the plane of best focus and sharpness in depth is brutal.

Re the 75 ARD, Rodenstock and Schneider marketers took advantage of a DIN standard to tout many of their LF lenses as apochromatic. Yes, according to the standard, which seems to have been withdrawn, but not according to anyone else.

Take a look at this: http://www.dioptrique.info/OBJECTIFS5/00202/00202A.HTM . Eric insists that Apo Saphirs are aberration-less over about 30 degrees from f/16 or so down. If you can stand to work at the small effective aperture that implies, you might want to try one. 135s and 180s aren't that scarce, but are considerably longer than you prefer. There are also 50, 75, and 100s, much less abundant. Eric once told me that the 50 was used by microscopists as well as photographers. But at f/10 wide open, probably not for you.

For curiosity, have you ever tried any of the copying lenses TTH made for the same application as Printing Nikkors?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Ray, thanks for the additional explanation. Interesting and a little strange. Strange because one of the things apo process lenses are supposed to be well-corrected for is longitudinal color. This because they're used to make color separations and longitudinal color would cause the separations to be of slightly different sizes, i.e., not in perfect register.

The Apo-Nikkors are probably near-perfect at their intended 1:1, but outside that range their corrections probably won't be optimum.

danfromm wrote:
Take a look at this: http://www.dioptrique.info/OBJECTIFS5/00202/00202A.HTM . Eric insists that Apo Saphirs are aberration-less over about 30 degrees from f/16 or so down. If you can stand to work at the small effective aperture that implies, you might want to try one. 135s and 180s aren't that scarce, but are considerably longer than you prefer. There are also 50, 75, and 100s, much less abundant. Eric once told me that the 50 was used by microscopists as well as photographers. But at f/10 wide open, probably not for you.

For my coin photography work, I need to be at f5.6 min for US Cent imaging (at around 0.7:1 magnification) down to f8 for US Dollars (0.35:1 mag) to keep to a reasonable f10-f11 effective aperture. Beyond that the diffraction effects start to cause me issues.

danfromm wrote:

For curiosity, have you ever tried any of the copying lenses TTH made for the same application as Printing Nikkors?

No, never tried them. In fact I don't remember ever trying a TTH lens of any kind. Do you have a recommendation of a specific lens that might fit the criteria I've been outlining? I'm always game to try new lenses, especially if they are highly promising...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, thanks for the additional explanation. Your requirements are very stringent.

Re the TTH copying lenses, the trade name is Octal. It is described in US Pat 2,600,207. The patent claims good correction for everything, doesn't assert apochromaticity. I believe that some were used in "Hollywood," evidence for that is a few lenses offered on eBay by a specialist in cine equipment that were described as used for making release prints. Like Printing Nikkors, far out of my price range.

I know it is a little long for you, but have you ever tried a 100/6.3 Luminar? The one I owned was a badly abused dog, the one I borrowed from Charlie Barringer was very good indeed. Again, Zeiss never claimed that Luminars are apochromats but I wonder how bad they are in that respect. None of my lenses in that class gives color fringing on film but you've convinced me that's not conclusive. Shorter Luminars aren't recommended for the magnifications you need, but the 100 is, also the 90/6.3 Mikrotar and the 100/6.3 Neupolar.

Klaus Schmitt has all of these lenses, you might ask him if he'd take some test shots for you.

Years ago I surveyed fish photographers to find out if there really was only one way. Everyone surveyed used the same type of camera, same type of lens, and much the same lighting setup. Most used Nikon body and lens. One outlier, S. H. Weitzman of USNM, whose b/w shots of small characids are unsurpassed, used a Leicaflex SL (I don't recall which version) with a Leitz macro lens. Everyone I mentioned this to took Stan's results as evidence of Leica superiority. I don't think this is the right conclusion, 'cos Stan typically shot at f/8 set, f/16 effective, and the others shot at smaller apertures.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Ray, thanks for the additional explanation. Your requirements are very stringent.

Re the TTH copying lenses, the trade name is Octal. It is described in US Pat 2,600,207. The patent claims good correction for everything, doesn't assert apochromaticity. I believe that some were used in "Hollywood," evidence for that is a few lenses offered on eBay by a specialist in cine equipment that were described as used for making release prints. Like Printing Nikkors, far out of my price range.

I know it is a little long for you, but have you ever tried a 100/6.3 Luminar? The one I owned was a badly abused dog, the one I borrowed from Charlie Barringer was very good indeed. Again, Zeiss never claimed that Luminars are apochromats but I wonder how bad they are in that respect. None of my lenses in that class gives color fringing on film but you've convinced me that's not conclusive. Shorter Luminars aren't recommended for the magnifications you need, but the 100 is, also the 90/6.3 Mikrotar and the 100/6.3 Neupolar.

That TTH lens looks pretty interesting. It's 8 elements in 4 groups. I'm not versed well enough in optical design to understand the implications of the myriad of claims, but it seems this is a seminal patent with citations as late as 1972. I expect that to conform to the range of refractive indexes claimed that special optical materials are required. From what I've heard, this is the case for the Printing-Nikkors, and is one reason they were so expensive to manufacture. And of course when Nikon designed the PNs they had benefit of the Octal patent, and also access to optical CAD programs of the time. With these new tools they took the design to the extreme, adding 6 more elements to the optical design. One interesting outcome is that the front and rear outer elements have flat surfaces. I assume this may have some implication to flatness of field but again I'm not a lens designer.

Another reason for the PN's being so expensive is they were assembled and spacer-tuned like an optical bench. From the evidence at hand, each lens group was built into a threaded assembly, and then the assemblies were threaded together and each half-lens measured, with spacers adjusted until the test results met the spec. The assembly was then marked for its focal length, and scored to ensure alignment. Assemblies with matching focal lengths were then mounted into the aperture casing. This is based on my examining the internals of several 105PNs.

Regarding the 100mm Luminar, I did own one for a short while. The copy I received had fairly low CA, but IIRC had scratches on the inner lens surface (where the lens protrudes from the casing) due to poor handling, so I sent it back to the seller. Not sure if it was the scratches or other issue, but I did not find the lens particularly sharp. I compared it to a 120mm Photar I had at the time, and the Photar won hands-down, but even it was not up to the task and I ended up selling it recently.

I bought a 20mm Mikrotar recently, and was very impressed with it, so much so that I've been actively seeking a 90mm. I'm a bit leery about the f/6.3 max aperture but if I can find one for a good price I may go for it.

On a final note, I have been searching for a Nikon 65/4.5 Macro-Nikkor (65MN) for quite some time. 65mm is a good length for capturing full-size Cent images using bellows, so I was motivated to find one. I finally ended up with a decent one for a good price, and while I probably won't sell it, it is very disappointing. Its LongCA is among the worst I've seen, similar to the 40mm EL-Nikkor. Now, I'm using both lenses well outside their design range, but I did expect better, and even at 5:1 where the 65MN is optimized the CA is extremely poor.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 90/6.3 Mikrotar is, like the 100/6.3 Neupolar, a reversed tessar. The pair of singlets face the film, the cemented doublet faces the subject. I had one, liked it very much, but Charlie Barringer coveted it and I had a 100/6.3 Neupolar that was at least as good so I sold the Mikrotar to him. After Charlie's death Westlicht bought his collection. I've seen my old 90 Mikrotar (s/n 786 732) on eBay. Mine was engraved "Jena M," not "Mikrotar" but is a Mikrotar, matches others engraved "Mikrotar." Zeiss, both BRD and DDR, macro lens nomenclature was opaque for years.

The 100/6.3 Luminar is a triplet. Charlie lent me his good 'un, it wasn't quite up to my 100 Neupolar. As I mentioned, Klaus has all of these lenses, perhaps he can ask your question for you.

If you're not acquainted with Enrico Savazzi's site (http://savazzi.freehostia.com/) you might want to spend a little time exploring it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is a little bit long and technical. I just bought 5 enlarger lenses (emitar, mikar...), but what do I need to get a focused image? Some extensions tubes?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semaca wrote:
This topic is a little bit long and technical. I just bought 5 enlarger lenses (emitar, mikar...), but what do I need to get a focused image? Some extensions tubes?

perhaps a focusing helicoid. I use one of these: Click here to see on Ebay on my NEX5. This adapts M42 lenses to NEX on a variable extension tube. Use an M42 to M39 adapter to fit the lens.

You dont say what camera you are using. This is suitable for NEX but there will be similar available for most mirrorless cameras. It is unlikely you will be able to use an enlarging lens on a DSLR. The back focus is non-standard and of course there is no focusing mechanism...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a Vega 5U on my Nikon with success.
Closest focusing distance is approximately 93cm, which is pretty normal for a 105mm lens, and I do get infinity focus - Yay!
Here is the focusing setup and it includes a helical section.
More here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/some-fun-with-vega-5u-f4-105mm-on-nikon-t63691,highlight,%2Bvega+%2B5u.html

OH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
semaca wrote:

perhaps a focusing helicoid. I use one of these: Click here to see on Ebay on my NEX5. This adapts M42 lenses to NEX on a variable extension tube. Use an M42 to M39 adapter to fit the lens.

You dont say what camera you are using. This is suitable for NEX but there will be similar available for most mirrorless cameras. It is unlikely you will be able to use an enlarging lens on a DSLR. The back focus is non-standard and of course there is no focusing mechanism...

It is a Nikon d60 Smile Can I search for a M42 to M42 focusing helicoid if I am using the lens M42/Nikon adapter? The great thing about the enlarger lenses was the price: 7 euros for all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semaca wrote:
philslizzy wrote:
semaca wrote:

It is a Nikon d60 Smile Can I search for a M42 to M42 focusing helicoid if I am using the lens M42/Nikon adapter? The great thing about the enlarger lenses was the price: 7 euros for all.

Yes - that is exactly what I use.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some example shots:

PZO AMAR/S 4.5/105mm

Here still with chinese helicoid on the Nex-6, now i use the VNEX-System to adapt the M42 enlarger lens.

Vega 22UC 103mm/5.6 (Вега 22УЦ) on helicoid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a halfframe Schneider Componon 4/28mm on VNEX KB "short" helicoid, a new VNEX development.

Mounted on my Sony A7 FF cam, but used in APS-C mode... so there is no color shift like normally you have with NEX cams like my NEX 7..
so i decided to use it as one of the smallest 4/42mm i know.

I name it "Mighty mouse"... Very Happy

The VNEX KB short is for Sony A7 and all NEX Models to bring enlarger lenses like 40mm or less on this cams to work as lenses for everyday use.

You can simply use the VNEX KB short as an ordinary LTM to NEX Adaptor because he has the same dimensions (register distance) like the LTM = 28.8mm...

left VNEX KB short with Componon 4/28mm, right a conventional LTM Adaptor

But you can use the VNEX KB short as a focus helicoid with focus tube up to 9mm !!!!

With the new VNEX KB "short" Adaptor you will get a close up distance of 18cm !!!

Here are some samples with that combination in APS-C Mode of the A7 with VNEX short and Componon 4/28mm:

Close up...with additional 100% crop..

Kindly regards
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Henry.

Componons are excellent taking lenses, they are close in design to the Symmar. I use 5.6/100 and 5.6/135 Componon-S as taking lenses (in shutters) on my 6x9 Century Graphic. I also have 5.6/150 and 5.6/180 Symmars and I really can't see any different in quality between the two types.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice shots!!! I am still looking for a good ebay seller, who sells good M39 - M42 adapters. Do you have any suggestion?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Wow, nice shots!!! I am still looking for a good ebay seller, who sells good M39 - M42 adapters. Do you have any suggestion?

I have only ever bought the cheapest, there's not much to go wrong with them. I think that spending more than a couple of pounds/dollars/euros is un necessary. Buying from Hong Kong rather than China is much faster. 1 week rather than 3 weeks.