Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Elgeet 165mm 4.5 on a7riv
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:51 am    Post subject: Elgeet 165mm 4.5 on a7riv Reply with quote

Craziest bokeh balls!

Soft, soft glow wide open.

Better stopped down.

Last edited by jamaeolus on Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is one of the least corrected lenses I have ever seen! SA is immense, hence all the glow. Might make a good portrait lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide open it gives the softest glowiest images I've ever taken. That bokeh is unique in my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under some circumstances it does cjust OK at distance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsurprisingly, it's better close up and stopped down, this is as close as my gear would go...maybe a foot and about life size and f11.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Friends

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Unsurprisingly, it's better close up and stopped down, this is as close as my gear would go...maybe a foot and about life size and f11.

I assume it's one of those Elgeet enlarging lenses? I've never tried one but I'm sure the effect wide open can be used in creative ways, even though it looks like the lens is not in its original state. Looks like some defect to me. While the close-ups are better it's still not as sharp as you would expect from a lens like that.

Is it one of the silver Elgeet ELs? I like how these lenses look. Similar to the Wollensak Enlarging Pro Raptars:

5 Stars and Stripes design by simple.joy, auf Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the silver version you mention. The shots were all handheld by an old shaky handed photographer and the weather was very gray. It HATES backlighting. The aperture ring is fussy, it's like the clicks have grit or something, will work fine for a few times then get really tough to move. The glass looks clear. I don't think it is coated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
It is the silver version you mention. The shots were all handheld by an old shaky handed photographer and the weather was very gray. It HATES backlighting. The aperture ring is fussy, it's like the clicks have grit or something, will work fine for a few times then get really tough to move. The glass looks clear. I don't think it is coated.

Interesting - thanks for the images! I'm pretty sure there are coated ones as well. I really like their design.

You're right - the lack of coating, combined with certain weather conditions might have a significant impact. Some of your images remind me of the Meyer Helioplan enlarging lenses, which are 4/4 constructions and lack any coating as well. They produce very low contrast images but not in a bad way, it just doesn't work in every situation. Maybe your Elgeet is similar in this way.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weird bokeh you show (small crosses within fuzzily illuminated circles) recalls quite a bit another Elgeet lens I tried, a 35mm technical or military one. Drawing into the city twiglight it gives w/o such an aplification of internal bokeh crosses: