Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Efficient lens storage
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Efficient lens storage Reply with quote

I found these trays fit a Ikea Billy bookcase well:

Wham Versatile Plastic Rectangular Studio Basket 2.01.

I can stand three lenses upright in each tray, and seven across a book case, adjust the shelves for hieght and lenses seem to disappear. With glazed doors on the bookcase you can work out where to start looking before opening the door. The trays also seem amenable to stickers, so label any set of three.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Store 126 lenses per bookcase!

IKEA Billy Bookcase
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-bookcase-white-00263850/

Wham Versatile Plastic Rectangular Studio Basket 2.01 W 11cm x L 25cm x H 5cm (4" x 10" x 2")
https://www.dunelm.com/product/wham-studio-plastic-storage-basket-201-1000152841

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep all mine in sealed containers with dessicant that I regularly redry to keep them effective after sometimes frequent air changes during opening. However, I also have a bunch of cameras on display. I was, and still am, a little worried about fungus growth or haze development. However, for fungus I think the fact that they are exposed to light daily is probably beneficial. For SLR lenses I make sure the aperture is fully open to ensure maximal entry for light. For leaf shutter cameras I open the camera back to make sure a little light gets to the other half of the lens. So far it's been two years with no significant problems. My place in New Zealand has humid conditions, but not high heat.

Having just moved to somewhere far far warmer with even higher levels of humidity (~37 degrees C, >90% many days) I am again quite apprehensive and will need to monitor my lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I need to investigate being more proactive with silica gel. It's not like I don't have any - I have a tub of self-indicating stuff - but I am just lucky to live somewhere not particularly humid. Most of my stuff is wrapped to just protect against dust.

The handful of lenses I use irregularly are out on my desk, capped. But I shoot infrequently enough that come a need for a particular one e.g. long FL, I'd have to 'unwrap' it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
Perhaps I need to investigate being more proactive with silica gel. It's not like I don't have any - I have a tub of self-indicating stuff - but I am just lucky to live somewhere not particularly humid. Most of my stuff is wrapped to just protect against dust.

The handful of lenses I use irregularly are out on my desk, capped. But I shoot infrequently enough that come a need for a particular one e.g. long FL, I'd have to 'unwrap' it.

You may not have need for humiditiy control depending on your local climate and storage conditions. Just buy a humidity monitor and keep an eye on it; you don't want more than 5 consecutive days or so of RH levels above 70%(~ish); that's when fungal spores start to germinate and dormant fungus starts to regrow.

Since you keep your irregularly used lenses on your desk you don't have to worry about boxes and cases getting very damp inside.

The killer time is when there have been modestly humid warm days (but not humid enough to worry about RH & lenses), and then suddenly the temperature drops.

Here in the UK that is typically autumn time; that's when the RH in poorly ventilated boxes, cases, and cupboards shoots up to the 75%-80% levels, and outdoor RH levels reach well over 90%.

During the onset of winter much depends on how early in the winter season you turn on the heating; once frost sets in both outdoor and (properly ventilated!) indoor RH levels drop very low.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 book shells like this contains about 150 lenses.