Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Early Tamron 35/2.8 - one lens, three flavors
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Early Tamron 35/2.8 - one lens, three flavors Reply with quote

I have, over several years, acquired several unusual items from Tamrons early production.
I have finished shooting sets to represent them, but I discovered something a bit surprising about them.

L-R - 35/2.8 Soligor preset, 35/2.8 Vernon Edonar, 35/2.8 Adaptamatic

They are in fact the same lens. I have been able to disassemble two of them, completely, and compare elements, reflections, and etc. on all of them.

The optics seem to match (6 elements in 5 groups), and the individual elements/groups seem interchangeable. So I though it may be best just to present them all together.

The first is the preset, which is well documented in the Adaptall-2 site as model 460 (though perhaps not entirely so), but in the market this is actually a rather scarce lens. I haven't seen a single other one on ebay that was unambiguously this version. Mine is an early Soligor version that came in a presentation box, with a fixed Canonflex mount. I suspect this may predate the introduction of T-mounts.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/olm35f2_8.htm

The lens is in the typical early Tamron glossy black enamel, and my pictures don't do it justice, it is a very handsome piece and very well made inside and out. I had to go to some lengths to mount it on my Pentax; in the end I had to drill and tap screw holes in the outer mount flange so I could attach a PK-M42 adapter, and a plastic spacer to give infinity. This is a reversible change, though the holes remain they are covered by the Canon mount when it is replaced.

The second is certainly a member of that rare and mysterious class of Tamron automatic lenses sold under the "Vernon Edonar" label, which also includes "Taisei Kogaku" on the name ring. I have the 28/2.8 and 135/2.8 of this line also.

L-R - Vernon Edonar 28/2.8, Vernon Edonar 35/2.8, and Tamron 680AR 135/2.8, also seen as Vernon Edonar

The 28mm is unique, as no later Tamron seems to have the same formula, but the 35mm certainly is the same as the earlier preset.
Unfortunately my copy, obtained through the help of a friend from mflenses, is not quite in perfect cosmetic condition, but its is still a striking piece, a handsome and "modern" 1960's object. This also came in fixed Canon FL mount, but attaching an M42-PK adapter was very easy as it already had screw holes in useful places.

Both lenses are precisely the same as my Adaptamatic 35/2.8, of which I have what is apparently one of the earlier versions, which makes sense. Other Tamron lenses became Adaptamatics in the same way.

Performance -
Not bad, but not perfect. Wide open they distinctly have problems in the corners even on APS-C. The center resolution, on my 12mp sensor, seems just not quite perfect wide open also. Close, but not quite there. I could not detect any distortion. No problem with contrast. These aren't Super Takumar 35/3.5's, though they are quite sharp in the center at f/4. I couldn't distinguish performance among them, they seemed to give quite identical results.

They are still very practical as "normals" on APS-C, and nice to use, the Vernon Edonar and Adaptamatic probably being the most ergonomic as they have nice big surfaces to use for focusing; the preset has its focus ring too narrow and set too far back for comfort, typical of many preset wide angles.

Samples -

Birds were uncooperative -

For lack of a bird, the fire engine -

Crop (and self-portrait) -

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely wonderful detective work! I will keep an eye out for these on the bay. Interestingly Tamron dropped 35mm focal length from the line up when it got to Adaptall II era.

Also love the China town pictures.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating stuff, again! Thanks Luis.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to sharing it!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! I too owned the Adaptamatic 35/2.8, but wasn't particularly impressed for the same reasons as you. Really like the chrome version!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three "Vernon Edonar " lenses are just great examples of industrial design, thought the third one is already a bit different. Funny how lens manufacturers often change their outer design, Sigma is a good example.

Tomas

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent presentation and sleuthing!

I'm thinking maybe the Tamron-F line could also be the same lens? Certainly it fits the performance description Smile

tamron-f 35mm f/2.8 1 by Nesster, on Flickr

tamron-f 35mm f/2.8 2 by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jussi,

No, that looks like a very different design. My 35mm's have a much smaller front element.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

I'm thinking maybe the Tamron-F line could also be the same lens? Certainly it fits the performance description Smile

It's not Tamron lens at all. This lenses sold under the "Tamron-F" trademark, but made by other manufacturer, probably Sun or Tokina. I have same lenses under the "Miida" and "Chinon" trademarks... and fake Chinon 35/2.8 made by Samyang(looks very similar, but optically very bad), ordered by Chinon USA.

Other lenses of this series - 28/2.8 and 100/2.8:

Also sold as Hanimex, Chinon etc etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eyes, Nuke. The store I worked for in the 70s carried these lenses under the Tamron F system and Hanimex/Hanimar brands.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those polished metal bodies are delicious!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nukemall wrote:
It's not Tamron lens at all. This lenses sold under the "Tamron-F" trademark, but made by other manufacturer, probably Sun or Tokina. I have same lenses under the "Miida" and "Chinon" trademarks... and fake Chinon 35/2.8 made by Samyang(looks very similar, but optically very bad), ordered by Chinon USA.

Fascinating, thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nukemall wrote:
Nesster wrote:

Other lenses of this series - 28/2.8 and 100/2.8:

Very interesting. I have the exactly identical lens as your Miida, also in absolutely gorgeous finish shining like a gem (I haven't tested it optically yet though) but branded as a "Super-Weistar-DM" for the Swedish Weist brand, the full name of the company is AB Fritz Weist & Co and that company was started by a former German engineer working as an import agent for Leonar Werke. Fritz Weist being German soon got the license to import most of the German camera products from Leitz (Leica today), Arri, Bauer, Siemens and more.
Fritz Weist and their subsidiary had its heyday during the war when Sweden was isolated and most photography products had to be sourced within Sweden and they produced at the time most of the film handling equipment and extra and even cameras. When the SLR boom came they had to jump the bandwagon and sourced their cameras from Chinon and many of the lenses looks identical to some of Chinon like their 55mm f/1.7 and Prinzflex 200mm f/3.5 to mention a couple.
http://www.filmsoundsweden.se/backspegel/fritz-weist/f-w.htm