Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

E. Ludwig Meritar 2.9/50 M42 Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: E. Ludwig Meritar 2.9/50 M42 Mount Reply with quote

Well it arrived today attached to the Praktica Nova. I wasn't expecting much after hearing bad press, but it is much sharper than expected. Saturates quite well and not bad bokeh. I did a quick test, shooting 1st wide open and then stopping down to F5.6.

Just a few uninteresting shots in the garden to try the lens lens.......

Mild sharpening and slight contrast boost which I've set as a default, otherwise, untouched.

F2.9

F5.6

F2.9

F5.6

F2.9

F5.6

Full size pics at: http://www.ms-imaging.co.uk/gallery/8939297_EHJ8p#593653842_uqZaj

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the lens on my Canon 40D (taken on my phone so sorry for the quality).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Meritar Reply with quote

Well, I'd say for a simple triplet those aren't at all bad - "cheap at twice the price" in fact. And the OoFA's quite nice too. One to keep, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for the lens.
I like my triplet Trioplan 2.9/50 very much.
Stopped down it is really impressive.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Meritar as well. I've almost got infinity, but only stopped down. Oh, well, I'll keep plugging away until all my Exaktas behave themselves on my Nikon.

I have mainly triplets and find that they each have their merits. Certainly the Meritar is forgiving and friendly. Anthropomorphic lenses.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it's not a perfect lens, it does look good so I tend to screw it on when I want to impress mates Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Although it's not a perfect lens, it does look good so I tend to screw it on when I want to impress mates Laughing

Do you use it for pics and do you have samples?

If it stays dry I'm going to take mine out in a bit to give it a better test.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More from the Meritar....

All pics have levels tweaked and mild sharpening. It isn't a high contrast lens so does need a little help. I've ordered a hood for it so that may help. Exposure is usually 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop under. I shot these with +1/3 EV and all seemed good.

Comparison of Apertures:

F2.9

F8

F16

Some other shots....

F5.6 (not as sharp as maybe I hoped as the bull kept trying to lick me and the camera)

F11

F5.6 (with 20mm extension tube)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got great results, sharpness is not everything I like your samples pretty much!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila. I'm actually impressed by the sharpness as I was expecting it to be soft. It's acceptably sharp even wide open.

And it looks so cool on my camera! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! cool looking indeed and sharp enough for any purposes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few portraits to do for a friend's daughter on Friday and used my usual Sigma AF zoom, but at the end I switched to the Meritar for a few headshots. I think these look ok. This was at f5.6 and illuminated by a single light with an umbrella.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my experience also, more sharp than expected, a very lightweight lens to carry around.
BTW, your samples look really nice, the window with the handle shows a very nice bokeh.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
That was my experience also, more sharp than expected, a very lightweight lens to carry around.
BTW, your samples look really nice, the window with the handle shows a very nice bokeh.

Regards,

Jes.

Thanks Jes - Yes the bokeh is a little different than my other lenses. It is uasable wide open although it does sharpen up nicely when stopped down to F5.6 and better at F8.

With the risk of over-egging the pudding, here are a few more I took today. I took this lens, a Helios 44-2 and 2 AF lenses, but the 2 MF lenses seemed to get most use.

Anyway, the samples were shot at F8 apart from the railings which was shot wide open.

Thanks for looking