Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

E.Busch Rathenow Mod. Ki 135mm, Visionars father?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: E.Busch Rathenow Mod. Ki 135mm, Visionars father? Reply with quote

Here are some samples from Emile Busch Rathenow Mod. Ki 135mm projection lens. Some sources attest that "Ki" goes for "Kino". The copy is slightly beaten but renders nicely.

The lens is pretty small, fitting more common 135 slide projector dimensions. But it is old enough to be part of another system. Is it an actual predecessor of Visionars? Probably not, neither for its size, nor for the optic formula which I ignore. Imagewise it looks a part of the lineage.

Put on Nex, with help of Chinese helicoid.

#1 Close-up

#2 Another close-up, with a more progressive exposure of OOF

#3 Further

#4 Even further

#5 Close to infinity

#6 A simple BW conversion

A quick comparison of the same subject, at a distance of couple of years and in different light conditions. The first shot is Busch Rathenow, the second is Visionar 1.6/84 cropped to fit the comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I like these experiments with various old lenses. Just good fun and sometimes you find real gems doing this. This lens is certainly sharp enough and like virtually every lens from the era has a distinct look due to lack of contrast. Renders quite nicely IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are totally right, old and "unpredictable" lenses offer a real pleasure of experimenting.

I'd rate the lens' contrast as medium, other than low. For instance, Helioplan shots are much less contrasty SOOC.

Here is a couple of unprocessed (except resize) samples from Busch Rathenow 135.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As clearly evident from photo number 7, this lens has a strong concave field curvature, which generates a lack of sharpness at the edges with flat subjects, but which could be useful for photographing the inside of domes Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now feel myself obliged to shoot in a dome! Smile

Not a dome yet, but a geometry configuration which confirms your observation. Orthogonal bars are all-in-focus.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, some dome shots. It works with quite a large surface curvature. Less effective with 3D compositions, like in #5.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried the lens for street photography. It works pretty fine at different distances (with autocontrast apllied).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally, shots taken under strong light and converted into BW are pretty spectacular, with a vintage flavour.