Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DIY Ultra large format camera [50x50cm]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: DIY Ultra large format camera [50x50cm] Reply with quote

I came up with the idea to build a 50 × 50 cm plate camera. I have not built such a large camera yet. The biggest challenge was the requirement for a slidable base. It was supposed to be 60 cm long when slide down and 150 cm unslide. For quite a long time, I had been inventing the kinematics of the frame, trying to fit the racks and gears in a small space, and make it strong enough so that when unslided (the maximum size) it would not shake and due to its own weight it would not break. The structure was to be stiff, durable and mobile. I used Freecad parametric 3D modeler to make the design.

Then it was time to design the standards, front with tilt, rise, fall, shift, swing and rear with swing and tilt. Here too, 3D models, production and assembly drawings were created,and according to this the entire front and rear standards of the camera were manufactured, as well as the plate holders, one square, 50x50cm and second one for vertical and hotizontal 40x50cm plate.

This is a result Smile

If somone want such a camera or any other large format camera please contact me Wink
I will be happy if I can make such a camera for someone here Smile

Last edited by MarcinS on Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 The dream camera! To examine a 50x50cm piece of slide film...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ignored that 50 50 film existed! Unless you are able to produce it also but yourself which would not surprise me considering your skills!

Maybe will you use emulsion on glass or something like that. Please tell us more and post some results.

Now I remember why when Barnak "created" the 24 26 format it was called "small".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Ray film are available in this sizes and larger as well and it is much cheaper than standard film material.
But it is only sensitive for blue light or blue and green, blind for red.
Best choice are mammografic films because this once are only coated on one side, the other X-ray film are coated on both sides.

Here´s sample I made with a fuji x-ray film, size 9x12cm, developed in Adox FX-39 II. ISO 80
I used an uncoated lens because it reduces the level of the contrast.
I pre exposed the film with zone II

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive. My respects. Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Fantastic shot, (even after scanning, which I'm sure must have reduced it's impact compared to the negative) & some useful tips on film options too.
Friends

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I know about this film is that it is high in contrast and it is orthochromatic only.
In practice it is recommended to take objects with only small highlights.
It is very difficult to get any texture in the skies, for example but a pre exposure helps.
I use this film with uncoated lenses because the internal reflexes are working like an additional pre exposure.
A Tessar 4.5/135 is a good choice in 4x5". I really like this lens but thousands of others are available in the net.

For this picture I used a Swiss Made Emil Suter Basel "Stella" 5/160mm @f22
Nearly 100 years old.

For ULF I have a Schneider Trible Convertible Symmar 6.8/360mm with only a very slight coating, it is a perfect lens for this films and B&W work as well but for me the focus is too long.
Two separate usable lens cells, 12/560mm and 13/700mm
Schneider recommended it for 16x20" formats. The image circle is 26" (650mm) minimum.
I guess it can be use with a 20x20" cameras like shown. Mounted in a synchronised coumpound IV shutter.
Maybe when someone is interested please don´t hesitate to contact me, it is much cheaper than a Cooke Triple Convertible but has an equal optical quality.

This x-ray film, a Fuji UM-MA, has a blue carrier which makes it a little bit problematic when you want to enlarge it with multi contrast paper.
The edges have large radii, you can imagine the size when you have a look to the sample, the upper right edge shows the radius. Some photographs don´t like it when they make contact prints.

Now I guess the film has ISO125
I try some shots with a medium format camera and the negatives are too dark with ISO 80
I use the developing times of the Ilford FP4+
Its a good choice for starting

It costs around 65 Euros for 100 sheets in 18x24cm

I think in USA and England it is easier to get this films in imperial sizes.

Larger formats are available.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man can we talk about the project Im planning to do a 50x60cm camera.. I hope to have some dwg of your project 😍😍😍it's awesome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Awesome!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spillo19 wrote:
Hey man can we talk about the project Im planning to do a 50x60cm camera.. I hope to have some dwg of your project 😍😍😍it's awesome

Sure, drop me an email