Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DIY Timer Shutter Release for Sony NEX for timelapse etc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: DIY Timer Shutter Release for Sony NEX for timelapse etc. Reply with quote

A version of this tutorial in German language can be found here: http://picturechemistry.own-blog.com/infrarot-fernbedienung-mit-timer-fur-sony-nex-alpha-fur-zeitrafferaufnahmen-etc/

The NEX series doesn't have a socket for a cable shutter - you can only use an infrared remote to control the cameras.
That's problematic because there are no remote controls with a timer function on the market, which makes it nearly impossible to use the NEX for longer timelapse videos, deep sky stacking etc.
Here comes the cheap solution!

Time you need:
~30min

Basics you need:
Cable Timer Remote Shutter for Sony, Canon, Nikon etc. (they all work very similar)
Simple IR Remote Control for Sony (simpler is better)

I paid 10€ for the timer and 3€ for the remote control on Ebay from China (Buy it now price incl. shipment)
Shutter Timer I used here
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Timer-LCD-Remote-Shutter-Control-for-Sony-Alpha-A300-A200-A700-A850-A900-A550-/180929868687?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item2a2042b38f
IR Remote I used here
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Wireless-remote-control-for-sony-A900-A550-A350-A77-A700-A580-A450-A65-NEX-5-7-/150921765750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2323a36376
There are even cheaper and smaller IR-remotes which are compatible for NEX, which could be also used instead
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Camera-IR-Remote-Control-for-SONY-alpha-a230-a330-a450-a500-/170818194434?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item27c58ecc02
The whole project did cost me less than 15€ alltogether!

Tools:
Screwdriver
Sharp knife or scalpel
Gaffer tape
Solder
Soldering gun
(A cheap Multi-Meter might be also very handy, if you buy a different cable timer shutter)

1) Make a deep cut into the left or right side of the remote control

2) Use screwdriver etc. to remove the glued alu/plastic facing

3) Cut cable of the timer shutter and remove isolation of the yellow and the red cable
(If you have a different cable shutter than me you might have to test which of the three cables are closing the electric circuit when the shutter is released first, a multi-meter is very helpful for that)

4) Unscrew plate from casing and put the red and yellow cable through these two holes

5) Solder the cable onto the plate from the other side and cut excess ends
Of course you could WireGlue etc. instead of solder.

6) Fix the cables with a little gaffer tape, screw the plate back onto the casing

7) Fix everything with a little gaffer tape - finished!

Works good so far with my Sony NEX-5N! Smile
Very handy for timelapse movies, deep sky stacking, longtime bulb exposures etc.... a lot stuff I missed from my DSLR on NEX Smile

<iframe>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBYgOcaumlg</iframe>

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, excellent tutorial! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is excellent!

What is the minimum time(r)?

I was looking for some way of triggering the Nex like this while mounted on a grip, but immediately.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, reading this topic has got me thinking. I would like to remote trigger my new NEX as you tend to get wobble after pressing the shutter button (when using video,) even when using a tripod. I suppose and I've not tried it yet, the cheapo remote can be made to do this. I'm ordering a couple so this is just theory at the moment.,

There is a problem regards remote use: Front facing sensor only. And when using a grip, photosniper, lens stock or tripod, a lack of trigger.

I think, by cutting the IR Led off (and there seems to be a lot of spare 'leg') and extending it so the led is at the front of the camera (take care to observe the polarity, most leds have a square leg and a round leg) and you are behind it is one solution. Placing the led in front of the camera and fixing it is a small problem but I think one that can be overcome with some imagination.

Triggering the NEX from a grip, lens stock or tripod. This tut shows how to hack into the remote, so all you would need to do is attach a 'moment' switch to the remote, via an extension cable, instead of the timer module, and have the body of the remote stuck somewhere out of the way. A rear facing IR led would complete this conversion. The cable with the moment switch can be used like a cable release.

I did this with my Nikon D40 but the camera kept switching off remote mode after 15 minutes. Very frustrating!

When i have completed my prototype of this project I will let you know.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Timer Shutter Release for Sony NEX for timelapse etc Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

That's problematic because there are no remote controls with a timer function on the market, which makes it nearly impossible to use the NEX for longer timelapse videos, deep sky stacking etc.

Sure there are. Here is one:
TEMPUS time lapse remote: http://tempus.bymac.org

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Remote Reply with quote

there is also a cool remote to trigger VIDEO for our NEX cameras.
Check it out: http://rednex.bymac.org

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, very intereststing!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ForenSeil,

thanks a lot for your great tutorial how to build remote shutter release for NEX, I managed to built one for myself with radio version as shown below just need to attach the small IR remote somewhere around the NEX IR diode, I bought radio version JYC JY-710 for canon and just cut the cable on one end and solder it to Sony IR remote as described by you below, it works great unfortunately I'm straggling with bulb mode, I can set the remote to create macro for sequential shutter release but in bulb mode NEX operates with 2 signals, 1 for start and 1 for finish of the shutter release, unfortunately I didn't found the way how to set remote to send signal for start and finish section, below described version of remote content only 3 steps of operation, delay -> release shutter -> interval of the shutter release and all together can by multiplied, so I'm missing last step which is shutter close that NEX recognize when to close shutter, is there any way how to set remote or NEX through to add this step? or are there any other radio remote controls which can send 2 signals with interval? 1 for release and 2 for shutter close? I know I can use 30 second option instead of bulb but for astrophoto I need long exposures.

small screenshot software

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kukynas wrote:
Dear ForenSeil,

thanks a lot for your great tutorial how to build remote shutter release for NEX, I managed to built one for myself with radio version as shown below just need to attach the small IR remote somewhere around the NEX IR diode, I bought radio version JYC JY-710 for canon and just cut the cable on one end and solder it to Sony IR remote as described by you below, it works great unfortunately I'm straggling with bulb mode, I can set the remote to create macro for sequential shutter release but in bulb mode NEX operates with 2 signals, 1 for start and 1 for finish of the shutter release, unfortunately I didn't found the way how to set remote to send signal for start and finish section, below described version of remote content only 3 steps of operation, delay -> release shutter -> interval of the shutter release and all together can by multiplied, so I'm missing last step which is shutter close that NEX recognize when to close shutter, is there any way how to set remote or NEX through to add this step? or are there any other radio remote controls which can send 2 signals with interval? 1 for release and 2 for shutter close? I know I can use 30 second option instead of bulb but for astrophoto I need long exposures.

small screenshot software

Welcome aboard!

Your first post can't contain images or links (antispam measure).

I can't help with your question, but I'm sure someone else will be along.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy thank you

in the meantime I'll search for alternative solution Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: i just HAD to share this with you guys! &#65532;:) Reply with quote

Just got this brand new Sony A7R delivered today and while a love the camera i was very disappointed to find out it has no built in interval timer. Crying or Very sad
Ok, i should have checked this thoroughly before buying it i guess, but this is 2013 and from such a pricey camera i'd expect an interval timer is the most common feature... but seems it's not.

Then i litterally spent the day trying to find a solution, surfing prettu much the entire internet back and forth three times consecutively.

Until i our friends at Google took me to this forum and i found this very interesting thread, to say the least! I love the DIY solution described here, ingenious and yet so simple. Amazing this doesn't exist as a standard product from Sony yet.

But then i found this:
I love the idea! Smile

Anyone's got any experience with this solution yet?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, zitemedia. You might want to introduce yourself at the Café section.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: i just HAD to share this with you guys! &#65532;:) Reply with quote

zitemedia wrote:
Just got this brand new Sony A7R delivered today and while a love the camera i was very disappointed to find out it has no built in interval timer. Crying or Very sad
Ok, i should have checked this thoroughly before buying it i guess, but this is 2013 and from such a pricey camera i'd expect an interval timer is the most common feature... but seems it's not.

Then i litterally spent the day trying to find a solution, surfing prettu much the entire internet back and forth three times consecutively.

Until i our friends at Google took me to this forum and i found this very interesting thread, to say the least! I love the DIY solution described here, ingenious and yet so simple. Amazing this doesn't exist as a standard product from Sony yet.

But then i found this: http://www.dslrbot.com/
I love the idea! Smile

Anyone's got any experience with this solution yet?

For bulp you can use a normal remote if I remember correctly - don't keep the button pressed in B-Mode, press it once for a very short time and then press it again to close shutter.

I think there's will be an timelapse app in the Sony Store to download on A7/r very soon (it's already released for NEX-6 etc. since a while)
https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/index.php?setname=ILCE-7

My Sony A7 dealer (Sony.de) is an a**hole - they said it will arrive 18-19.11 and camera still not arrived here - I called them and they said it will take 2-3 more weeks Sad Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
one info, do you thinks that this methods works fine with sony wired usb remote shutter:

www.sony.it/product/cac-other-accessories/rm-vpr1/prodotti-compatibili#tab

by soldering cable from intervallometer at shooting button?

Thanks! Emanuele

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuffi wrote:
Hi,
one info, do you thinks that this methods works fine with sony wired usb remote shutter:

Thanks! Emanuele

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Timer Shutter Release for Sony NEX for timelapse etc Reply with quote

Hi all,

FYI, even though the remote your purchased may look like the one in the ForenSeil's pictures, the contacts on the back of the circuit board may have a different layout. All you need to do is find the traces that close the circuit when the shutter button is depressed, and solder your intervalometer's wires to them. My old Nikon intervalometer, an Aputure Timer Remote Cord, worked just fine but the wire colours used to close the circuit were also different. ForenSeil already mentioned a multimeter would be helpful. It sure was Very Happy .

Cheers,

Anu.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuffi wrote:
Hi,

Thanks! Emanuele

Yes, I think that should work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Long exposure for astrophotography Reply with quote

Hi I have just joined to add an update to this really useful thread.
The Sony NEX5 camera is excellent for astrophotography and now they can be picked up very cheap.
It's only problem as you know is no intervalometer.
The later Sony cameras with wifi are still hampered by a very crude and simple app so the above mod is still useful.
So after doing the above mod I figured there must be a way to get a longer than 30 sec exposures with it.

The key is to use the 2 second delay button.
I first rewired the two wires to the 2 second delay button.

Now set the timer to just 1 second, never change this setting.

Then set the interval to the exposure time you want, several mins.

Then set the number of exposures you want.

Now when you fire the timer before its 2 second delay is up the interval steps in with the short triggers that the sony needs and your long exposure starts.

The next 1 second timer trigger stops the exposure and the interval will then step in and trigger the next long exposure and so on.

The only thing it does not do is stop the last exposure so you need to do that with the large button otherwise you will have a very long exposure.
All I have is a small pocket timer to remind me when to do this.

So I can now do 30 10 min exposures, or more and leave the camera to it until I have to end the last exposure.
I can now do some visual astronomy with my other telescope instead of watching a timer.
And I have 30 pics ready for Deep Sky Stacker, excellent!

If you don't want to take your expensive camera out in the dark, damp, cold air, get a cheap second hand NEX and have a go.
I hope this is understandable and useful to some.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Time lapse with the NEX5-N and hacked remote Reply with quote

I tried both following ForenSeil's instructions then RodAstro's suggestion to wire the remote to the 2 second delay switch and none "really" work. Either the settings I enter in the hand control are wrong or I am not wired on the right switch or I am not using the right set of wires.

What I am trying to achieve is simple: Set the remote to start after a 5 second delay (leaves enough time to stow away the remote). That function works OK.
I want the shutter to open and remain on for 45 minutes.
Then the shutter should close (The camera will take several seconds to process the file and save it).
I would like a 15 second delay here before the next opening of the shutter for another 45 minute exposure.
This will repeat by however many times I set the N value to.

Attempt 1: Used the red and white wire on switch 1: Inconsistent results, the remote triggers the shutter, counts down the LONG value, then it counts down the INTVL value, and it completes one photo. By the time the camera is done saving the file, it has missed the next round of LONG +INTVL and nothing happens for that entire time.

Attempt2: I decided to move the wires (still red and white) over to the 2S delay switch. Same inconsistent results.
RodAstro, you mention to use a 1S "TIMER" value but I am a little confused.
On these remotes, we have have 5 settings:
-DELAY
-LONG
-INTVL
-N
-Sound ON or OFF

So to recap the sequence I hope to achieve:
1) Delay of 5 seconds before the shutter opens for the first exposure
2) Stay open 45 minutes then close
3) Wait 15 seconds (or more, I will adjust that according to what the camera needs) then start again.
4)Repeat by the Value entered in N. I will manually finish the last frame when my stopwatch tells me I have finished my round of time lapses.

Not too sure where to go from here. Next I will attempt to swap the yellow and red around on SW2 in case it is a polarity issue...

Any ideas? I feel I am close to a working solution but not sure what direction to take.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Time lapse with the NEX5-N and hacked remote Reply with quote

One thing I was not clear on with the symptoms:
At the moment I have these settings:
DELAY: 5 seconds
LONG:1 second
INTVL:12 seconds (for testing)
N: 5

One exposure works, then there is a delay before it happens again.... Of 12 seconds. Making this impractical for astrophotograpy.
I will end up with one 45 minute photo and a 45 minute delay then another photo of 45 minute exposure.
45 on 45 off 45 on 45 off.

The NEX needs a pulse to tell it to open the shutter and another to close the shutter. Then it needs a delay between exposures to allow the camera time to save the file (during which it cannot process an IR signal)
I am starting to think what I want to achieve is not possible with this intervalometer and remote.