Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[DIY] Alternate solution to cheap chinese focusing screen
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: [DIY] Alternate solution to cheap chinese focusing screen Reply with quote

I have bought chinese focusing split-screens for my Pentax DSLRs and am quite happy with them.

However, the darkening of the stigmometer is sometimes annoying when using small apertures/slow lenses.

A few months ago, I won a functionnal Minolta SRT101 and was amazed by the luminosity of the viewfinder. This one has just microprims, no split screen, but the focusing was easy.

When I recently saw a broken SRT101 on the Bay, I bought it and dismantled it to recuperate the screen.

The screen is too large for the Pentax and must be cut.

I covered it with Scotch tape, draw the correct dimensions on it and began grinding it with a belt sander (not kidding). I finished the edges with wet sandpaper, removed the tape and cleaned the screen with soapy water.

Conclusion :
thickness of the Minolta screen is compatible with Pentax, focus is spot on, no need for shims, no exposure issues. A solution for those who are not interested in split-screen (Orio, if I remember correctly), cheaper than Katzeye.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex hk300 also make an sale split screens and prism taken from old camera and make to fit for new ones.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Alex hk300 also make an sale split screens and prism taken from old camera and make to fit for new ones.

Indeed ... but half of my google searches contains the word "DIY" Laughing I just love to tinker with things.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
Attila wrote:

Indeed ... but half of my google searches contains the word "DIY" Laughing I just love to tinker with things.

If you have time and you can solve well that is great. I did put this information here , because I found most people can't do by self including me Laughing