Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Disassembling the Tamron Adaptall-2 SP (13A) 24-48mm ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Disassembling the Tamron Adaptall-2 SP (13A) 24-48mm ? Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
I am forced to use 82mm filters on my Panasonic S5 DSLR which was modified to full spectrum.
Using filters, I can film and photograph in visible light as well as in infrared.
I use 82mm because the filters are expensive and I use Canon FD lenses only.
With step up rings I can use one filter on my canon FD lens collection.

But the Tamron 13A 24-48 is special.
Only 77mm filters can be used with the lenshood attached.
I have none and even if I had, there would be no room in the hood for stepping up to 82mm.

There are engravings inside the lens barrel one could misinterpret as a thread for 57mm Filters.
In fact, the inner diameter is 57,2mm, and the thread-like recess of the the profile
inside the hood might widen the diameter to 58mm.
The outer thread of a 57mm step up ring has a diameter of 57.75mm.
So maybe, with a lot of force, a step up ring could be pressed into the tulip.

Obviously, no one wants to put his zoom lens into a vice.
Therefor I would need advice or a service manual to find out whether the 24-48 can be safely disassembled.
It looks like the the tulip and barrel / tube are one part - does anyone know whether the barrel
already guides the front elements or is it "only" the enclosure withot crucial mechanical function?

Many thanks to all, all the best,
Herbert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't "force" anything TBH.

Having seen on-line images of the lens with the original bayonet fit hood, my first thought is that if you (somehow) mount a step-up ring on the integral fixed vestigial tulip "hood", you'll get significant vignetting in the corners on a full-frame camera like the S5. There is a reason those small cut-outs are there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, I thought about „forcing“ because of this post:
http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-24-48-13a-t76512.html
No description of vignetting there. I also do my work in 16/9 and 16/10, so chances of vignetting are lower, but I‘ll check next week.
Again, any advice and service manual are welcome.
All the best, Herbert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, those vestigial tulip hoods as found on extreme wide-angles and fish-eye lenses usually don't have a proper thread; it is a shallower thread (if a helical thread at all) and with a finer pitch than a filter thread.

If I were you, I would try and find a 72-82 or 77-82mm step-up ring, whichever works best , and fit some DIY bayonet mount on that so that it clips onto the lens similar to the original hood.

A bit of plasticard surgery and some adhesive maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks,
but I knew about the thread before starting this thread Smile. The tulip also recesses too much into the focus barrel for plastic card surgery on the outside. Using/modifying the original lens cap might work. But too flimsy.
This is why I want to press in a step up ring-if the tube can be safely dismantled.
Another way could also be to grind
down the thread of the 57mm part
until there is a 0.1mm or less difference in the diameters. So that the step-up ring “clicks” in. So less force needed. But I will need to check for vignetting in 16:9 on Tuesday. Service manual still appreciated. All the best, Herbert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starter of this thread

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-24-48-13a-t76512.html

answered my PM, how the step up ring was attached back then:
„I still have the lens and the filter ring is still hanging on!
I guess its just jammed in place.“
What I want, it can stay there.
So, it somehow can „work“, though the profile inside the tulip is not a thread. Tamron claimed the profile diffuses reflections.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I held a 58-82 mm step up ring in front of the lens,
no vignetting at 24mm at 3:2 and 16:9.
So, it could be permanently "jammed on".
Question is whether to invest into a more expensive brass ring
as those are said lo be smoother for changing filters and more durable...?
Again, I am looking a service manual for 24-48 / 13A.
Any advice?
All the best,
Herbert