Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Desktop pics (Tokina SD 70-210 4-5.6)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Desktop pics (Tokina SD 70-210 4-5.6) Reply with quote

I was planning on taking some sample shots with my Nikon 35-105 but grabbed the Tokina instead. I rarley use this lens, it basically collects dust on my shelf. I may be selling this one on ebay.

All images shot at 210mm

f/4

f/8

f/11

f/16

crop from f/16

f/32

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this may be an interesting lens that represents some consolidation in the lens manufacturing industry. Look around and you'll find a lens of this specification under several names and types. I have a 70-210 f4.5-5.6 Tamron Adapt-All 2. It came with a Pentax K1000 kit including a Tamron wide to 70 zoom. Today I saw a Sigma of the same specification in Canon EOS mount. It's possible that the lens was designed and manufactured cooperatively among several aftermarket companies with differences in appearance and fittings. Looks like we may be able to incriminate the big three; Sigma, Tamron and Tokina and it would not surprise me to see a Cosina version eventually.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
I think this may be an interesting lens that represents some consolidation in the lens manufacturing industry. Look around and you'll find a lens of this specification under several names and types. I have a 70-210 f4.5-5.6 Tamron Adapt-All 2. It came with a Pentax K1000 kit including a Tamron wide to 70 zoom. Today I saw a Sigma of the same specification in Canon EOS mount. It's possible that the lens was designed and manufactured cooperatively among several aftermarket companies with differences in appearance and fittings. Looks like we may be able to incriminate the big three; Sigma, Tamron and Tokina and it would not surprise me to see a Cosina version eventually.

Bill

I'm not certain if all the lenses you mention share the same characteristics, it could be they do and all the lenses are connected. I truly have no idea. I know that im not that impressed with this lens and it collects dust on my shelf.

I also have the 35-105 3.5-4.3 Tokina that I will compare to Nikon 35-105.

In any case, Im pretty sure this lens will be on ebay shortly. The only problem is I will basically have to give this lens away. It may be better to keep it. I seen one seller trying to sell this lens in a PK mount for 50.00 !!! If you pay more than 30.00usd for this lens, you paid too much. TRUST ME!!!

Last edited by spiralcity on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a mint one from eBay for 14 euros, so I agree with Spiralcity.
I haven´t tested it much yet, but it´s compact and neat and if you use smaller apertures, the picture quality is OK.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one of these for a couple of decades now, and I've always found it a reliable performer with the ability to consistently deliver results. It used to live on my Pentax LX.

Its certainly compact, the easiest way to carry 200mm.

Its also great for portraits, its got an I'm not sure what in that line -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
I got a mint one from eBay for 14 euros, so I agree with Spiralcity.
I haven´t tested it much yet, but it´s compact and neat and if you use smaller apertures, the picture quality is OK.

Hi Gurdie and Luis,
The lens sells very cheap, so for a few bucks its OK to play around with. I just find this lens to be soft and it lacks good color saturation.
I shot the lens at 210 which is undoubtedly its weakest focal length, but the over-all performance of this lens IMO is subpar. It's a good lens if you need the reach and your just shooting for the joy of shooting, but other than that I would leave the lens at home. I have some nice 135's I would rather use before putting this one in my bag.

But to each his own. One mans junk is another mans gold. Very Happy
Hell, I like my 35-70 Nikon and it's considered a dog. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a 100% crop of that portrait (taken at f/4 it turns out)

Thats about as good as you need on a portrait I think.

I can't recall the FL it was at, maybe 90-100mm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
This is a 100% crop of that portrait (taken at f/4 it turns out)

Thats about as good as you need on a portrait I think.

I can't recall the FL it was at, maybe 90-100mm

Yes, better performance at midrange as one would expect. If I need a portrait lens i turn to my 135's or My Nikon 100mm. I find them to perform better than the Tokina.

If I were to post a 100% crop f/4 at 210 the image would be awful!
It didnt look that great at f/16. I should have posted a 100% crop at f/8 for comparison purposes. I just didnt see any reason to do this, I felt the f16 crop showed enough.

Im from the school of;" shoot with what you like and what pleases you." Photography is art and art is subjective. A good image is a good image no matter what technical jargon others may toss at you. In the long run, as individuals we decide what pleases our eye not the guy in the next room. Very Happy

So, for all those who may want to try the Tokina, please do.