Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dent repair tool
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Dent repair tool Reply with quote

Has anyone tested this?
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard some positive feedback but I don't try it yet. It is for lens with filter thread of 0.75mm pitch .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, need to get practice I did succesfully ruin my Konica 85mm f1.8 AR lens, before this tool it had one big dent. After tool it has many and looks filter ring was in war in Vietnam.

I was stupid pretty much Crying or Very sad I still angry what I did. I suggest to practice how to use it on a zero value lens or /and on an alu tube.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very easy with this tool to pull the whole ring out of shape before the dent is corrected. Much better to cut a former out of hardwood to fit the outside diameter of the ring and tap the dent out on it with a wooden dowl on the inside.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty poor job of machining the tool. No way would I use it.I really don't like this design anyway, the other type seem safer to use.
But if you like this type.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Much better to cut a former out of hardwood to fit the outside diameter of the ring and tap the dent out on it with a wooden dowl on the inside.

Found it at last! Here's the illustrations and instructions on the best method to cure filter ring dents:

(from the Classic Camera Repair forum)
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/filterringtool.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this tool(Indian made) .

Yes it fixed a dent on one of my takumars but it created a new one on the opposite side !!!! Laughing Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for lots of good response!

I'll test the wooden trick Very Happy