Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dandelion focus confirmation chip
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Dandelion focus confirmation chip Reply with quote

I searched in the forum but i haven't found that much.
I want to fit one of these chips to my Samyang to see if it's worth the 19 euros requested.
It not just about using that AF sensor, since it's there and it feels bad not to make it work, but also to have exif for the lenses too.
The chip allows full adjustment of f stops and focal lenght as well as focus adjustments (i have the 50D anyway) .
I'd use double sided tape to put it in place, not glue, so i can remove it if necessary.
What are your thoughts?
I tried to focus with the 1000DTL and the 55 1.4 with a true film camera but it isn't extremely precise anyway and the only way to have decent focus is to rely on the microprisms at the center of the viewfinder.
Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did exactly what you are describing here. I used double sided table to mount a Dandelion Chip on all of my Samyang lenses (8/3.5, 14/2.8, 35/1.4) and i also added one to my M42-to-EOS-Adapter to get AF-Confirm and EXIF-Data.
Mounting is not that difficult. Just put an AF-lens next to your Samyang to see exactly where to put it. I recommend a tape of you about 15mm thickness than it fits right away.

After that you need to configure the focal length, max. aperture and do the AF-adjustment. It's a bit tricky to do the AF-adjustment but it's always necessary. It never works right from the beginning.

Even despite using AF-Confirm the Dandelion Chip is even worth the money just for the EXIF-Data. I made myself Camera Raw Profiles for all my lenses and since they have EXIF-Data the corrections start in Lightroom right after import - perfect Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pholler wrote:
I did exactly what you are describing here. I used double sided table to mount a Dandelion Chip on all of my Samyang lenses (8/3.5, 14/2.8, 35/1.4) and i also added one to my M42-to-EOS-Adapter to get AF-Confirm and EXIF-Data.
Mounting is not that difficult. Just put an AF-lens next to your Samyang to see exactly where to put it. I recommend a tape of you about 15mm thickness than it fits right away.

After that you need to configure the focal length, max. aperture and do the AF-adjustment. It's a bit tricky to do the AF-adjustment but it's always necessary. It never works right from the beginning.

Even despite using AF-Confirm the Dandelion Chip is even worth the money just for the EXIF-Data. I made myself Camera Raw Profiles for all my lenses and since they have EXIF-Data the corrections start in Lightroom right after import - perfect Smile

Thanks, obviously i can distinguish a 35 mm shot from the one from the 85 but if i want to filter my pictures by lens i have a problem Razz
Which is the chip you bought? I see there are some chinese ripoffs but they are just a piece of pcb badly cut and i don't want to fit an ugly piece of board to my lens.
Can you link me what you exactly bought?
Also, how is the actual focus confirmation with it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i bought the Dandelion chip via ebay from Belarus about three weeks ago. There was only one seller from Belarus selling the Dandelion chip.
Here is the article number: 350414337702
The seller is ml-gvalt

Focus confirmation works perfect as long as you do the AF-Microadjustment on chip once. It works a lot better than my eyesight. I can focus the 35/1.4 perfectly at minimum distance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pholler wrote:
Hi,

i bought the Dandelion chip via ebay from Belarus about three weeks ago. There was only one seller from Belarus selling the Dandelion chip.
Here is the article number: 350414337702
The seller is ml-gvalt

Focus confirmation works perfect as long as you do the AF-Microadjustment on chip once. It works a lot better than my eyesight. I can focus the 35/1.4 perfectly at minimum distance.

Interesting, so that's the same seller i was considering.
Where do you live? How long did it take for the shipping?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilguercio wrote:
Interesting, so that's the same seller i was considering.
Where do you live? How long did it take for the shipping?

I live in Austria. Shipping took a bit more than a week.

At the moment i am thinking about buying two or three more just in case i get a new legacy lens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a couple from tagotech in singapore on ebay (link at bottom). £19 inc postage. It takes about a week. They are good.

In addition to providing exif data (on my nikon DSLR's) the camera will meter and - with Nikon AI lenses - operate the aperture. On a couple of conversions, having one on my Zuiko 35mm f2.8 allows me to get auto exposure whatever the aperture of the lens. It works in stop down mode only, I use P all the time when using it.

I can also use the built in flash as the camera knows there is a CPU lens on it and will ttl meter the flash.

When using a lens with stop down only I only program the widest aperture as the small aperture is of no interest to a camera that can't stop it down. with the zoom lens I converted (if I had one) I would tell the dandelion i had a 210mm or whatever.

I wish I could get one for all my lenses. To stick them on I would use epoxy resin. As I found double sided tape will move in use and possibly even let go of the chip.

Recommended!!!

Heres where I bought mine. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261016754195?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_5218wt_1139

I have written plain English instructions for programming. The official Dandelion site gives confusing info, particularly on where to position the chip. Which is very important.