Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Tessar 2.8/5cm: Pre-war vs post-war computation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: CZJ Tessar 2.8/5cm: Pre-war vs post-war computation Reply with quote

Paul Rudolph's Tessar is - along with his earlier Planar - certainly one of the most important lens constructions ever. It's patent, an f5.5 Tessar, was issued in 1902. The first production Tessars were f6.3 Tessars for large format photography.

Not much later Rudolph's assistant Wandersleb re-fined the original computation to f4.5 (1905) and even to f3.5 (1906). The latter was re-compute in 1926, using newer glasses to improve its performance.

In 1930 Williy Merté published its f2.8 Tessar. That was pretty much the limit of the Tessar design. It seems that Zeiss was not happy with the first small production run of the f2.8, and subsequently the calculation was slightly improved. Even that wasn't satisfying: After only 10'000 units produced, Merté tried again to impove it. This third sub-variant was produced until at least 1945, and probably after the war as well.

Interestingly, there was only one major re-calculation of Mertés Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50mm after the WWII: It was recalculated / improved in 1951 by Zöllner. The same design then was produced without major optical changes until about 1990.

More on the Tessar history e. g. on Zeissikonveb.de (a superb site, BTW)

I have compared these two calculations -

1) a prewar Merté (1937) Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 1:2.8 f=5cm (uncoated, Nr.2044640)
2) a postwar Zöllner (around 1954) Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar T 1:2.8 f=50mm (coated, Nr.3811457)
3) a postwar (around 1973) Carl Zeiss Jena DDR Tessar 2.8/50 (coated, Nr.9781274)

All three lenses look pertty nice: No dents, no abvious signs of damage, and no scratches on the glass. Both the 1937 as well as the 1954 lens have slight fogging; the 1973 is pretty clean. The aperture of the 1973 version however does not close beyond f4.5.

Let's start with the center, and 100% crops from the 43 MF JPGs of the Sony A7RII. This camera of course is extremely demanding for a >90 years old lens ...

Both Tessar f2.8 computations have a pretty high resolution, but the prewar uncoated Tessar lacks constrast, of course. In addition - not visible hear - it suffers from a strong focus shift of the image when stopping down. When stopping down from f2.8 to f4 I had to re-focus; otherwise the center crop simply would have been unsharp! For comparison: the Minolta MD 2/50mm at the bottom.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be far more instructive to compare the Jena Tessar that continued almost unchanged for so long to the Western compatriots that did changhe over time due to new technology - better coating, better glass types, digital computers to do the optical formulations.

The Schneider Xenar is pretty much identical to the Tessar but was recalculated postwar, same with the Voigtlander Color-Skopar, which is usually better than a Jena Tessar equivalent, becausew it had the benefits of Lanthanum glass and having been recaluclated in the 50s by a digital computer - the Color-Skopar is a significant improvement on the Skopar and many rated it as the best Tessar variant.

Then there is the Zeiss Tessar itself, the western version is outwardly the same as the DDR version.

Then there is whole other can of worms of the Russian Industar series, which began as direct copies of Jena tessars but evolved to use different glass types available in Russia.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE CLICK TWICE ON THE IMAGES TO GET THE FULL RESOLUTION (=100% COPS) !!

Very close to the center - just a few mm away - the resolution of fine structures starts to drop:

At the border things look like that (about 17mm from the center):

And finally at the corners (about 21mm from the center):

Up to now I hadn't been aware of the differences between these two main calculations of the CZJ f2.8 Tessars.
And it's pretty interesting to see the differences between "uncoated" and "coated", too.

S

Last edited by stevemark on Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tessars should really start at 3.5 not 2.8. The 70's ones have horrible build quality, so probably a lot of copy variation. Still you can take good images with them

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Tessars should really start at 3.5 not 2.8.

Sadly I don't have a CZJ Tessar 3.5/50mm ... Shame Wink !!

D1N0 wrote:
The 70's ones have horrible build quality, so probably a lot of copy variation.

That's what I found as well, although I have only half a dozen or so of the typical M42 CZJ / Pentacon 1970s lenses. My first two Sonnars 3.5/135 were completey de-centered; third copy now is very good. Same problem with a Pentacon Auto 1.8/50 ...

D1N0 wrote:
Still you can take good images with them

Sure - some images are good due to their "meaning" or "content" (don't know how to say properly in English), others heavily rely on excellent technical quality (e. g. large format b/w landscape images). "Good images" from both categories are rare, though ...

S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're talking about the East German ones, which were dodgy in build quality after the 60s chrome ones.

But in the West, they were making very fine quality Tessar 2.8/50s, just mostly they went onto fixed lens cameras. The Tessar 2.8/50 for the Contaflex is a superb optic, I mounted mine for use on my NEX years ago, it's noticably better than an Eastern compatriot.

If you really want to see how good the 2.8/50 tessar type can be, you need a Color-Skopar or a Xenar.

An interesting test would be the Color-Skopar and Xenar from the respective DKL mount series of Voigtlander and Schneider for the Kodak Retinas alongside a western Tessar 2.8/50 and an Eastern Tessar 2.8/50. Then throw in a couple of Russians such as the Industar-50 and the Industar-61L/D.

If not restricted to the 50mm legth, Ross made some Xpres tessar types that rival anything else in that formula from any manufacturer.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
You're talking about the East German ones, which were dodgy in build quality after the 60s chrome ones.

I have several CZJ 2.8/50 Tessars from the mid-1950s to realy 1960s (chrome ones). I may compare them quickly to check their consistency.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
But in the West, they were making very fine quality Tessar 2.8/50s, just mostly they went onto fixed lens cameras. The Tessar 2.8/50 for the Contaflex 126 is a superb optic, I mounted mine for use on my NEX years ago, it's noticably better than an Eastern compatriot.

No luck here - all the (many) western 2.8/50 Tessars I own are built-in ...

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
If you really want to see how good the 2.8/50 tessar type can be, you need a Color-Skopar or a Xenar.
An interesting test would be the Color-Skopar and Xenar from the respective DKL mount series of Voigtlander and Schneider for the Kodak Retinas alongside a western Tessar 2.8/50 and an Eastern Tessar 2.8/50. Then throw in a couple of Russians such as the Industar-50 and the Industar-61L/D.

Two Xenars here - one mid 1950s, one mid-1960s, and an Iscotar 2.8/50. The Color-Skopars I have - again - are only "built-in", sadly.
The two Industars mentioned are here indeed. Plus a rare DKL mount Rodenstock Ysarex 2.8/50mm. The latter should be pretty interesting as well, and so is a Mamiya M42 2.8/50mm from the 1970s. I don't expect that much variantion among these Tessar type lenses, but I may be wrong of course. If anything, I would expect the Russian 2.8/55 Industar (glass?? plus smaller image angle) and maybe the Ysarex to be "better" . I may have some spare time tomorrow.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
If not restricted to the 50mm legth, Ross made some Xpres tessar types that rival anything else in that formula from any manufacturer.

That's a completely different story for sure. 4x5 inch or greater film negatives don't need a really high resolution. And the Tessar disadvantages seen in extremely "blown up" 43 MP 24x36mm "negatives" won't show up there, of course.

I am doing these tests as a kind of "history research" anyway ...

S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting evolution.
Looks like the eagle eye has aged.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
Tessars should really start at 3.5 not 2.8.

Sadly I don't have a CZJ Tessar 3.5/50mm ... Shame Wink !!

Maybe you have an Industar 50-2/3.5 somewhere, they are easy to miss.

stevemark wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
The 70's ones have horrible build quality, so probably a lot of copy variation.

That's what I found as well, although I have only half a dozen or so of the typical M42 CZJ / Pentacon 1970s lenses. My first two Sonnars 3.5/135 were completey de-centered; third copy now is very good. Same problem with a Pentacon Auto 1.8/50 ...

Trying to find a good Domiplan is almost impossible.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
it would be far more instructive to compare the Jena Tessar that continued almost unchanged for so long to the Western compatriots that did changhe over time due to new technology - better coating, better glass types, digital computers to do the optical formulations.

The Schneider Xenar is pretty much identical to the Tessar but was recalculated postwar, same with the Voigtlander Color-Skopar, which is usually better than a Jena Tessar equivalent, becausew it had the benefits of Lanthanum glass and having been recaluclated in the 50s by a digital computer - the Color-Skopar is a significant improvement on the Skopar and many rated it as the best Tessar variant.

Then there is the Zeiss Tessar itself, the western version is outwardly the same as the DDR version.

Then there is whole other can of worms of the Russian Industar series, which began as direct copies of Jena tessars but evolved to use different glass types available in Russia.

The last Color Skopar made was the tessar 50/2,8 in Icarex mount.
But i can't see any difference between both in IQ, EXCEPT perhaps in the flare rendering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that Tessar is a Color-Skopar, they simply used the Zeiss name as it was released after the ZI-Voigtlander merger. The Icarex lenses are simply Voigtlanders under Zeiss names.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
You're talking about the East German ones, which were dodgy

If you really want to see how good the 2.8/50 tessar type can be, you need a ... Xenar.

Here you are. I have tested three Carl Zeiss Jena Tessars 2.8/50mm (two from about 1954, one from about 1958) and two Schneider Xenar 2.8/50mm (about 1957 and 1959) plus an ISCO Isconar 2.8/50mm. The results confirm that the Xenar shown below is no outlier. In fact the Western German Xenar 2.8/50mm produced at the end of the 1950s is by far inferior to the corresponding Eastern German 2.8/50mm Tessars. To me it looks as if the Schneider Xenar is simply the same computation as the pre-war 2.8/5cm Tessar, but now with coatings. Remember the pre-war patents were "lost" as a result of the war, and Schneider would have been allowed to simply copy the prewar design.

As to the Ysarex, it seems to be a rather good lens, nearly as good as the CZJ Tessar. Sadly the DKL mount aperture control of my sample doesn't allow me to go beyond f6.7.

AS USUAL, CLICK TWICE ON THE IMAGE TO ITS ORIGINAL RESOLUTION. IMPORTANT!!

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I will look for a western 2.8/50mm Tessar. Removable Color-Skopars are a bit scarce here; not sure whether I can get one soon. Since I have the Industars I will include them in a forthcoming test.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I checked a few longer f6.3 and f4.5 Tessars (4.5/7.5cm, 6.3/12cm, 4.5/13.5cm, 4.5/15cm, 4.5/21cm; all made between 1911 and 1935, and all un-coated) on 24 MP FF, using a bellows.

Interestingly, they have similar problems wide open as the 5cm Tessar (apart from the f6.3/12cm which is pretty good at f6.3). Stopping down to f11 or f12 results in low contrats (no coating!!), but otherwise very sharp and CA-free images. And of course these Tessars were meant to be used at f11, f16 or even f32.

S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use some common sense, for that Xenar to perform that badly means it's a bad copy.

Do you honestly think Schneider were still using a pre-war computation as late as 1957?

The glass types had changed for one thing, by 1957 Schott and other glassmakers were making widespread use of Lanthanum, which meant lenses had to be recalculated - one example is Voigtlander recalculating the Skopar to use Lanthanum glass and thus creating the Color-Skopar. Tronnier lead the project and they patented the new calculation in the US in 1949:

A postwar Schneider catalogue states that the Xenar has been updated to use the new glass types:

So no, the postwar Xenar is not the pre-war Tessar with coating added.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Use some common sense, for that Xenar to perform that badly means it's a bad copy.

No. As I said above I have tested two Xenars and one Iscotar (probably the same computation as the Xenar, since ISCO was a daughter company from Schneider), with the same reults as above.

S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there must be something wrong with the lens or the test because the Xenar is never that bad.