Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ 35/2.4 Flektogon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: CZJ 35/2.4 Flektogon Reply with quote

I have two copies of this lens - both auto and electric. I got the latter dirt cheap after the auto version and it (electric) seems fine, other than that there is one interesting feature: it stops down beyond f/22 - there are two more "clicks" (half a stop and a full stop I guess) available beyond the markings and the aperture blades do close down as well. Also, one can adjust the aperture smoothly - there are clicks, but one can also shoot with the aperture between full and half stops.

Is this normal bahaviour for this lens? Should be happy or expect the piece to break down soon?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: CZJ 35/2.4 Flektogon Reply with quote

Mine doesn't do that. Have you counted the number of clicks from wide open to tight shut? Maybe someone has reassembled the lens with the aperture ring in slightly the wrong position so that your "f32" postion is really f22 and you are getting f2.4 halfway between f4 and f2.4. Set it at f4 and you should have three clicks until it is wide open.

Anu wrote:
I have two copies of this lens - both auto and electric. I got the latter dirt cheap after the auto version and it (electric) seems fine, other than that there is one interesting feature: it stops down beyond f/22 - there are two more "clicks" (half a stop and a full stop I guess) available beyond the markings and the aperture blades do close down as well. Also, one can adjust the aperture smoothly - there are clicks, but one can also shoot with the aperture between full and half stops.

Is this normal bahaviour for this lens? Should be happy or expect the piece to break down soon?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: CZJ 35/2.4 Flektogon Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Mine doesn't do that. Have you counted the number of clicks from wide open to tight shut? Maybe someone has reassembled the lens with the aperture ring in slightly the wrong position so that your "f32" postion is really f22 and you are getting f2.4 halfway between f4 and f2.4. Set it at f4 and you should have three clicks until it is wide open.

It does have two more stops of range than the "auto" version of the lens, and also the size of the aperture opening confirms this - I guess the "bonus apertures" are f/32 and whatever is in the middle of f/22 and f/32.

Mysterious.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very mysterious as it is meant to be an identical lens to the Auto. I also have both versions and it was my electric I was comparing it with - so not all electrics have this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a DIY modification. I'm not sure how the "click-stop" mechanism works on this lens but on many others a ball bearing sit in a (spring loaded ?) hemispherical cavity in the body of the lens and is held in by contact with the inner surface of the aperture ring. Indents on this surface provide the different click-stops. It might be possible to file two extra indents for the extra stops - it's certainly been done with other lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there must be some reason for it. I wouldn't think the extra stop is any benefit since the image quality will suffer and the DoF on 35mm is enormous even at normal apertures.

There doesn't seem to be any reason to suppose that it means something will go wrong with the lens soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Well, there must be some reason for it. I wouldn't think the extra stop is any benefit since the image quality will suffer and the DoF on 35mm is enormous even at normal apertures.

There doesn't seem to be any reason to suppose that it means something will go wrong with the lens soon.

Maybe someone had used the lens lots for close-up work (and full frame/film) - then f/32 might be quite beneficial.

When the wether gets better I'll try to test the extreme aperture and will try to remember to post the results too Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Flek I can turn one click passed 22, but it's in the correct position at 2.4.
The extra click doesn't actually seem to do anything to the Iris. The opening seems to stay the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here - I can click once past 22, but it does actually make the opening a little bit smaller (almost like a pinhole at that point). But if I click back to 22 it does not open up, not until I get to 16.