Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ 180/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does not have the red T letter in front of the lens.
Does it mean anything?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: lens storage -zebra version-important Reply with quote

Guys, i have found out an quite important info about how to store the zebra version of the lens. The diaphragm is being closed by a little spring. And the spring is most stretched when the lens is wide open! So when you are not using the lens, store it sopped down to mininal aperture (F32 i think) this makes the spring live longer. And to the common problem- non working diaphragm it is often sufficient to disassemble the lens from behind and bathe the diaphragm in technical gasoline (lighter fluid, white spirit are other names for the same thing) then dry it thoroughly with a hairdryer and usually it helps.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks BBK! Nice to see you here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

All copy what I have comes with georgeus bokeh all very sharp stopped down and some copy very sharp even at wide open.

Enjoy this rare opportunity!

Attila,

I currently owned a copy of Carl Zeiss Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 in M42 mount. Can you comment on the quality of Carl Zeiss Sonnar 300mm f/4.0? Would I expect something similar on IQ on the 300mm. I also wonder if Pentacon 300mm f/4.0 is related to Carl Zeiss Sonnar 300mm f/4.0?

Thanks,
Hin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had/have several copies from both lenses and all types.
Yes, 300mm MC can be same good as 180mm if you don't get lemon copy. I found only once a week copy other copies was great. It's sharp wide open and better than SMC Takumar 300mm f4. I think Nikkor 300mm f4.5 ED IF and Sonnar 300mm f4 MC more less equal. Olympic version and Zebra versions are not same good as 180mm Olympic and zebra.

Pentacon 300mm great lens from all aspects , but wide open less sharp than Sonnar.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, so, let's see if I can get this straight (I'm jumping in here, I know).

A Zebra Sonnar 180mm/2.8 is going to be pretty good, even compared to MC? But for a 300mm/4, I should definitely look for MC?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I had/have several copies from both lenses and all types.
Yes, 300mm MC can be same good as 180mm if you don't get lemon copy. I found only once a week copy other copies was great. It's sharp wide open and better than SMC Takumar 300mm f4. I think Nikkor 300mm f4.5 ED IF and Sonnar 300mm f4 MC more less equal. Olympic version and Zebra versions are not same good as 180mm Olympic and zebra.

Pentacon 300mm great lens from all aspects , but wide open less sharp than Sonnar.

Much thanks for the valuable inputs. I currently have a Soligor 200mm f/2.8 in M42 and I am getting my interest into birds and 200mm is not long enough. I tried the 200mm with a 1.7x and 2x TC and results varies, some good and some bad. On the Zeiss 300mm, I would be very concerned on the heavy weight, I would expect it to be somewhere close to 4 or 5 lbs. My Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 in m42 weights 2.45lb but I find it comfortable to hand-held for short duration. I am looking for either a 300mm f/4.0 or a 400mm f/5.6 and hence the question on Sonnar and Pentacon.

Thanks again,
Hin

Last edited by hintheman on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely Sonnar if you find and you can afford it. For birding 300mm will be short too. I suggest to take 400mm instead, Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO affordable and good one. Sigma 400mm f5.6 MC is crap don't take it.
Novoflex 400mm f5.6 an excellent lens and with fast focusing mechanism ideal for birding. I suggest to buy if you don't have yet a cheap Olympus body at keh.com. 2x crop factor help to you really.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orestegor/Practicar 500/5,6 would be a worth a look too perhaps... Smile there is also a Telemegor 400/5,5 from Meyer I had only one in my hands but it was quite soft. The fernobjektiv 500/8 is excellent but also very hard to get and expensive, too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBK wrote:
The Orestegor/Practicar 500/5,6 would be a worth a look too perhaps... Smile there is also a Telemegor 400/5,5 from Meyer I had only one in my hands but it was quite soft. The fernobjektiv 500/8 is excellent but also very hard to get and expensive, too.

Pentacon 500,Prakticar 500, Takumar 500 all are rocket launcher 2,5 kg or more. You need tripod built like tank heavy, damn heavy I not recommended. Fernobjektiv 500mm slow and very rare.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree about the weight, but with a sturdy monopod quite useable. the fernobjektiv is slow and rare, but if you can get one its very good...it was originally not intended for birding or animals. according to the original catalogue it was intended for landscape details photography. But in daylight I use it for birding sometimes Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fernobjektiv 500/8 was intended for this:
if anyone is intersted I could scan the Zeiss Jena catalogue and post it somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to the czj 180/2,8 zebra sonnar: it is incredibly sharp even wide open, especially if we consider that it is a medium format lens and I am using it on a 12mp dx sensor...it has one weakness though. It likes to flare and to lose contrast if a strong light source is in the picture. It is visible especially at night: the mc version should be more resistant to this, I have not tested it yet.
But otherwise I cannot imagine a better and cheaper fast tele especially for portraits-i got mine for about 50 euro in a local camera bazar and they are common here.