Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CV wide angle lenses compared on Sony A7 and Ricoh GXR M
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: CV wide angle lenses compared on Sony A7 and Ricoh GXR M Reply with quote

something that I wanted to do ever since I got the Sony A7 'FF camera:
compare the performance of my Cosina Voigtlaender wide angle lenses on the Ricoh GXR M and the Sony A7 in APS-C crop mode.
lenses used: CV Super WIde Heliar I f4.5/15mm, Skopar f4/21mm and Snapshot Skopar f4/25mm
it's a fast and dirty shootout but I hope that it's interesting nevertheless.

cameras were set to ISO 200 and to 1/400 sec in M mode with Auto WB, aperture was f8
taken RAWs, imported to LR 5.6, exported at default setting without any editing whatsoeve
also no editing on the pics showing the full scene that are reduced to 1500 wide.

full scenes first the Sony A7 in FF mode, second Sony A7 in APS-C crop mode, third Ricoh GXR M
100% crops only of Sony A7 crop mode and the Ricoh GXR M

Heliar f4.5/15:
full scene reduced to 1500 wide:

A7 full frame

A7 APS-C crop

Ricoh GXR M

100% center crops:
A7 APS-C crop

Ricoh GXR M

top left corner 100% crops:
A7 APS-C crop

Ricoh GXR M

Last edited by kuuan on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skopar f4/21:

A7 FF

A7 APS-C

Ricoh GXR M

100% center crops:
A7 APS-C

Ricoh GXR M

100% crops left top corner:

A7 APS-C

Ricoh GXR M

Last edited by kuuan on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and finally the Snapshot Skopar f4/25:

A7 FF

A7 APS-C mode

Ricoh GXR M

100% center crops:
A7 APS-C

Ricoh GXR M

and the 100% top left corner crops:
A7 APS-C mode

Ricoh GXR M

Last edited by kuuan on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 4/21 on the A7 in FF mode has a similar field of view to the 4.5/15 on the GXR M,
their 100% center crops and top left corner crops, first A7 + 4/21, second GXR M + 4.5/15

A7 + CV 4/21 ( FF mode ) 100% center crop

Ricoh GXR M + CV 4.5/15 100% center crop

A7 + CV 4/21 ( FF mode ) 100% top left corner crop

Ricoh GXR + 4.5/15 100% top left corner crop

Last edited by kuuan on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice comparison. It proves once again that the GXR M is really a unique camera in its capability to handle non-retrofocus wide lenses. It's such a shame that this camera line has been abandoned by Ricoh. I would have liked to see a full-frame GXR with the sensor (tweaked for RF lenses) and image stabilization of the Pentax K-1!

In fact, I am presently considering buying a used GXR M as they are quite cheap, just for gluing my 12/5.6 UW Heliar permanently on it...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
In fact, I am presently considering buying a used GXR M as they are quite cheap, just for gluing my 12/5.6 UW Heliar permanently on it...

Not a bad idea. I can confirm that the CV 12/5.6 is perfectly operating with the GXR-M. I've bought already a second GXR-M when the prices came down. Just to be on the safe side. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: CV wide angle lenses compared on Sony A7 and Ricoh GXR M Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
compare the performance of my Cosina Voigtlaender wide angle lenses on the Ricoh GXR M and the Sony A7 in APS-C crop mode.

Thanks for sharing, Andreas.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Heliar would have performed worse on the A7 full frame mode.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Thanks for the nice comparison. It proves once again that the GXR M is really a unique camera in its capability to handle non-retrofocus wide lenses. It's such a shame that this camera line has been abandoned by Ricoh. I would have liked to see a full-frame GXR with the sensor (tweaked for RF lenses) and image stabilization of the Pentax K-1!

Cheers!

Abbazz

Abazz I think you would like the camera, and as Thomas says it performs flawlessly well with the 12mm Heliar ( if I remember right is has less pronounced issues on the A7 than the 4.5/15 )

The GXR is one of the most bashed cameras, of course only by those who have never used it. Imo it's the non favorable reception which is responsible for it's discontinuation. It always has had enthusiastic followers too. I believe that sometime in the future Ricoh / Pentax will give us a FF mirrorless camera with inbody stabilization. Right now the GXR M still is up to compete with the newest and imo FF only gives added function when using a fast 28/35/50mm lens at wide aperture, there also is better high ISO performance of later cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: CV wide angle lenses compared on Sony A7 and Ricoh GXR M Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
kuuan wrote:

Thanks for sharing, Andreas.

most welcome Thomas!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StyxD wrote:
I thought the Heliar would have performed worse on the A7 full frame mode.

the top left corner crop of the 4.5/15 in FF mode:

( sorry, it's very dark there )
imo smearing @f8 isn't all too strong, if one can edit away the color cast resp. if it is a take where it doesn't show or if converted to B&W it may be fine.

so far only 3 samples on my flickr taken with the 4.5/15 on the A7, see them below
If I remember right on the first two I brightened the corners and tried to get rid of color cast simply by downing saturation of magenta

uncropped:
Untitled by andreas, on Flickr

somewhat cropped ( don't remember where, taken from my flickr and EXIF says 5852x3901, uncroped would be 6000x4000 )
Untitled by andreas, on Flickr

of course sometimes corners are simply of no / very little relevance ( uncropped )
Ogoh Ogoh ( + ghost Wink ) by andreas, on Flickr

( all clickable to see full resolution )

thread about photos taken with the 4.5/15 on the GXR M: http://forum.mflenses.com/cv-super-wide-heliar-f4-5-15mm-on-ricoh-gxr-m-t62228.html
my flickr set with photos taken with the Heliar 4.5/15: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157632037409165