Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cosinon Auto f:1.4/55mm M42 mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Cosinon Auto f:1.4/55mm M42 mount Reply with quote

Hi,

got this lens today at my local repair shop. Any experiences with this lens ?

Pic. were shot with the Panagor 75-205 in macro modus which I got today too.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of decent buys there. I have no experience with either I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf,

I have a lens with the similar specs ~mine is in a M42 mount. When I got my lens I had to clean off a lot a gunk off the focusing ring and relube it, as the focusing was stiff. Both images taken with it below are taken when the focusing ring was very stiff and indoors. I like this lens a lot and has great potential- I just need more time to use it Smile, my experience with it has been that it is very sharp from f2 onwards and produces wonderful bokeh. I use it with a Sony APSC DSLR.

Regards

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to come back to this thread. I found the lens in my lens storage never used it with the exception of few test shots. Could it be that this one was manufactured by Tomioka ? Looks like the Revue lens but different barrel with rubber grips - maybe due to newer serial number ?

Thanks for your assistance.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
I would like to come back to this thread. I found the lens in my lens storage never used it with the exception of few test shots. Could it be that this one was manufactured by Tomioka ? Looks like the Revue lens but different barrel with rubber grips - maybe due to newer serial number ?

Thanks for your assistance.

Wink

I have that Cosinon as well and it's a great performer like its cousins 55/f1.4 branded under Revuenon, Chinon, Rikenon, Yashinon, Rikenon, Sears/Sekor and Mamiya Sekor they are all made by Tomioka.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Cosina made Cosinon lenses? I had the Super Reflecta 55/1.4 which looked identical to the 2nd lens in this thread. Results were decent with spectacular "glow" wide open Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I thought Cosina made Cosinon lenses? I had the Super Reflecta 55/1.4 which looked identical to the 2nd lens in this thread. Results were decent with spectacular "glow" wide open Smile

Correct that Cosina made Cosinon lenses but for that specific 55/f1.4, it was made my Tomioka or at least designed by Tomioka. Same thing with the Rikenon 55/f1.4, Mamiya Sekor 55/f1.4 and Yashinon 55/f1.4 - Ricoh, MS and Yashica didn't make/design them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducdao wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Correct that Cosina made Cosinon lenses but for that specific 55/f1.4, it was made my Tomioka or at least designed by Tomioka. Same thing with the Rikenon 55/f1.4, Mamiya Sekor 55/f1.4 and Yashinon 55/f1.4 - Ricoh, MS and Yashica didn't make/design them.

Is that fact though, as I've never seen any evidence to prove that Cosina f1.4 lenses were in fact Tomioka designs?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had two of the Sears Auto version, one of which cost US$25 while the other was TWO DOLLARS! (I sold it for US$45, heh heh.) Both a bit worn but smoothly operating, focus like silk, builds like tanks, and I love the optics.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me, but there is no "Yashinon 55/f1.4" Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, you can be sure that your 1.4/55 is a Tomioka, if it looks like this ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
Excuse me, but there is no "Yashinon 55/f1.4" Wink

My bad. You're right, it's either 50/f1.4 or 55/f1.2 for Yashinon Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
ducdao wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Is that fact though, as I've never seen any evidence to prove that Cosina f1.4 lenses were in fact Tomioka designs?

Ah hard evidence, that's a tough one Smile

Honestly, I don't have any hard evidence to back my above statement however one thing for sure is there are a lot of people on the web who believe the same. Also, I have all the lenses listed above and if you look at the back element and lens design, they are exactly the same as the one from Tomioka. That's how I drew my own conclusion Smile

Last edited by ducdao on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someday, I'd like to see accurate lists of lenses designed by Tomioka, and those made by Tomioka, with real documentation. Right now, there is so much folklore on the web that it's hard to distinguish facts from rumors. A much-repeated rumor is still a rumor.

Also, we need to clarify what "designed" means in this context. Many Japanese lens designs were copied from German designs, and it's not clear what, if any, modifications were made to the original design.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note: I think pretty much all Yashica lens are Tomioka lenses, as Tomioka was owned by Yashica since 1968, and before that, to my knowledge was their main, if not exclusive supplier of lenses with the exception of some Zunow cine lenses, which was another company Yashica purchased, I think in around 1960-61.

I have an very early Super Yashinon R 3.5cm/2.8 preset in M42 that I've also seen in Yashica Pentamatic mount, and also branded as a Tomioka. And an early '60s 5cm/2 in M42 mount that I've also seen as Tomioka branded.

Kyocera purchased Yashica in the early 80's, then let the entire enterprise (Yashica, Contax, Tomioka etc.) go defunct about 2005. Which is why I refuse to EVER buy anything from Kyocera...I believe some elements of Tomioka are still a division of Kyocera:
http://www.kop.co.jp/english/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: repair Reply with quote

hi
sorry for the gravedig

I'm looking for a service manual or an advice.

i fond a cosinon for nothing (15€) but i can use it only on stop down because the diaphragm pin is stuck and A/M level is not stuck.

i try to open the lens but when i pull the ring the a/m lever don't allow me remove the back of the lens.

Untitled by Latente 囧 www.latente.it, on Flickr

do you know how to dismount this lens?
thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

it's normal this effect @ 1.4?

Cosinon 55mm f1.4 @f1.4 by Latente 囧 www.latente.it, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: repair Reply with quote

Latente wrote:
hi
i try to open the lens but when i pull the ring the a/m lever don't allow me remove the back of the lens.

Did you overcome the problem?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latente wrote:
Confused

it's normal this effect @ 1.4?

Probably good hood will help a bit in sucj situations.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: repair Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Latente wrote:
hi

Did you overcome the problem?

no, i use it as stop down lens.