Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cool 105mm Soligor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right about this Mos, there was more of an idea if nothing other worked out...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
This is an intriguing lens! There is one posted on US Ebay right now (in Florida):

Yes this is the lens I bought, I complained about the state and my issues with this lens and the seller promised a compensation, but have I got anything yet, no! Crying or Very sad

Update: I`ve got a part refund now as agreed

He probably did something wierd when posting new listing for his items, I saw my lens on eBay a few days ago as well Laughing

Last edited by Nordentro on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to try WD-40

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you did a great job cleaning it up!. Unfortunately WD40 is not something I would use. It can actually gum up things even worse. Naptha, or lighter fluid usually works for a little while, since it dissolves some of the old grease. The only permanent solution is to disassemble the helical assembly, remove all the old dried up grease which has turned into cement, clean the threads and repack them with a proper grease. This is easier said than done - i have ruined more lenses than I have saved this way - the multi-start threads of the focus helical are my downfall every time. If the lens is truly a keeper - and this one definitely looks like a fine addition to your collection - i would have it serviced. In the US a re-lube shouldn't cost more than $50. I hope you get it working - It's a beautiful lens.

Best,

paul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than WD40 I run a very tiny amount of thin gun oil into the stiff helical. Solvents such as WD40 and lighter fuel evaporate rapidly and leave the old grease as it was before - stiff, but with luck it might moved slightly when temporarily thinned by the solvent which helps.

Grease consists of two parts, the carrier and the lubricant, and the lubricant is basically oil. So thin oil will mix with the carrier and restore the lubrication properties, whereas a solvent temporarily thins the carrier and then slowly evaporates. WD40 does have some oil so it is not altogether useless, the problem is the aerosol pressure shoots the stuff everywhere. If I was to use WD40 I would squirt some into a small container and let it sit for a while to allow the most volatile solvents to evaporate, then carefully drip tiny amounts of the remaining oil into the helical.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 is ok for preset lenses but for auto aperture lenses it is a no, no. The risk of oil getting to aperture blades.