Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cooke Ivotal 25mm (1") by Taylor, Taylor & Hobson
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Cooke Ivotal 25mm (1") by Taylor, Taylor & Hobson Reply with quote

From a recent swap I got that famous Cooke Ivotal c-mount 16mm film lens, gave it some TLC and a relube through my Service tech. Now look at that:

The lens shows some vignetting wide open, which nearly completely disappears when stopped down. From 1 stop down onwards it shows quite some flat field and very good sharpness evenly distributed. Flare resistance is quite good also. It is a bit soft wide open, has less contrast but some fine glow - would be nice for portraits. It focuses down to less than 1ft (30cm).

No wonder Cooke lenses still are highly acclaimed lenses for filmmakers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing indeed.
The picture with the stones seems to be a sphere!! Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carsten! I found out that shooting such stones wide open shows a bent field of sharpness very well and
also vignetting. Stopping down cures that, but I did not want too much such (boring) images in my presentation.
Here how that looks like stopped down:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An other beautiful C mount lens in your hands....This lens seems to have everything, sharpness and lovely rendering! That's only a shame that C-mount lenses are now so difficult to find, at least for "reasonnable" prices Confused .....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sometimes people have stuff sitting around they don't use. Just ask around and see if someone
has unused 16mm film stuff from teh 60ies or 70ies - you may be lucky... and you have that wonderful
"marktplaats" with all that cheap stuff where the Dutch love to sell and buy their "lenzen" Wink Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Well, sometimes people have stuff sitting around they don't use. Just ask around and see if someone
has unused 16mm film stuff from teh 60ies or 70ies - you may be lucky... and you have that wonderful
"marktplaats" with all that cheap stuff where the Dutch love to sell and buy their "lenzen" Wink Wink

yes it's true but C-mount lenses are quite unusual on the second-hand market, even on Marktplaats.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice lens Klaus, and good shoots as always Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reall, really like this lens!
Wide open you get that "spheric" effect and stopped down a fantastic level of detail! Your second stones shot seems to show a high grade of micro-contrast.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Thanks Carsten! I found out that shooting such stones wide open shows a bent field of sharpness very well and
also vignetting. Stopping down cures that, but I did not want too much such (boring) images in my presentation.
Here how that looks like stopped down:

Coverage is really good! Do you remember aperture on this one?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been f8 or f11 but the results would be very similar anyway. The micro contrast and resolution of that lens is astonishing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Must have been f8 or f11 but the results would be very similar anyway. The micro contrast and resolution of that lens is astonishing.

I asked a veteran from film business who have made some of the bigger movies here in Norway back in the old days if he had some advice about good old cine lenses.
Zeiss and Taylor & Hobson was his answer Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep and Kinoptik and Angenieux - these were the stars back then.