Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Converting an M42 300mm F4 Meyer-Optik to Pentax K
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Converting an M42 300mm F4 Meyer-Optik to Pentax K Reply with quote

I wanted to use my Pentacon (Meyer Optik) Orestegor 300mm f4 with my Pentax K200D, I found the best option to keep the lens easy-to-use would be to permanently convert the lens for K-mount use. Since this lens weighs around 5 pounds (!) I knew it'd need to securely lock onto the lens. So, I purchased the "macro" variety of M42 to K-mount adapters that include the locking flange. I took the rear "cone" of the lens to a machinist and had him machine off the different in thickness from the flange, as well as cut a new guide slot so the lens sits with the scale facing up on the camera. A small amount of non-precision grinding was also required on the rear portion of the lens that enters the cone.
Here's the before and after pictures of the conversion:

Adapter on the cone:

"Face" of the cone to be machined down:

Ground rear lens projection, and the newly-machined cone:

Fits like a glove!

Next on the to-do list: finish the remote release cable for the camera gunstock!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a similar thing but I just used loctite to fasten a M42-K mount adapter to the Meyer M42 cone. Nice work you did.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Good weather has come, and here's some links to pictures I got out of the Meyer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/comp_wiz101/3373550143/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/comp_wiz101/3374352092/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/comp_wiz101/3373555541/sizes/l/

Most of these were shot around F5.6 to F8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I always like to see people think out of the box when working out a solution to a lens mount problem.

The images prove that the method works well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
I did a similar thing but I just used loctite to fasten a M42-K mount adapter to the Meyer M42 cone. Nice work you did.

Careful with glued adapter I did also long time ago and after a couple of good usage my lens felt down even if lens wasn't heavy at all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you didn't use M42 Pentax adapter instead of made this conversion ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Why you didn't use M42 Pentax adapter instead of made this conversion ?

The thin metal used to hold the pentax-built adapter in place wasn't robust enough to trust out in the field. I usually mount this lens to a gunstock and the camera is supported by the mount (and by my camera strap should the worst happen)
Also, this conversion does two other things I need:
a) permanent bayonet mount makes it quick to change the lens in the field
b) The wide flange on the adapter I chose shorts out the lens information contacts, which for some odd reason makes aperture priority mode work properly.