Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Converter examples...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Converter examples... Reply with quote

... or the difference between good and bad glass.

I think we all agree on both issues, a lens without a converter is better than with on and the Nikkor 2.8/24 is a very good lens.

Now, how is the image quality of this lens influenced by a wide angle converter?

Just imagine 24mm (resp. 38mm at an EOS 350D) are not wide enough and you do not have a wider lens.

This is the original shot:

This is the result of the Nikkor and a good converter, the Raynox DCR 720 (which turns the lens into a 17.2 mm and thus a 28 mm lens at the 350D):

There is a considerable deterioration, but the quality is acceptable.

Now this the same Nikkor with a no-name 0.5x wide converter. This offers 12mm (19.2 mm / EOS350D) but it is not usable!

What do we learn? Only use a converter in an emergency and if it is a good one...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really terrible, but what about cheap tele converters, can they be as bad?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, due to my experience - I have used about 4 different ones - they are not that bad, but they mostly cause strong CAs at high contrast edges.

The best one I have ever had was the Raynox DCR-2020 Pro, a huge piece but really good. Just one example:

Shot with a Panasonic Lumix FZ-20 and the Raynox 2020 TC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think the last one made with TC, seems good one. I met only one good converter Vivitar macro converter made by Kiron.