Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Convert petri lens to some mount, or sell them with adapter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Convert petri lens to some mount, or sell them with adapter? Reply with quote

Hello.

I have lot of several genuine Petri lenses for petri bayonet mount. These are 35/2.8, 55/1.4, 55/1.8, 55/2. I also have profesionally made adapter that allows them to be mounted on Sony mirrorless cameras. Technically, I can convert these lens to Sony Alpha, Pentax or Canon SLR mount (no Nikon, please). I want to sell this lot alltogether, without spending time and resources selling them separately, so how do you think, which will boost sales better, them converted to specific mount (which one?) or to sell them just with adapter included?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if possible I would rather convert to M42, then its usable on both and more platforms but if it was a choice between alpha and EF I think there are more canon users worldwide.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Convert petri lens to some mount, or sell them with adap Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Hello.

I have lot of several genuine Petri lenses for petri bayonet mount. These are 35/2.8, 55/1.4, 55/1.8, 55/2. I also have profesionally made adapter that allows them to be mounted on Sony mirrorless cameras. Technically, I can convert these lens to Sony Alpha, Pentax or Canon SLR mount (no Nikon, please). I want to sell this lot alltogether, without spending time and resources selling them separately, so how do you think, which will boost sales better, them converted to specific mount (which one?) or to sell them just with adapter included?

Nobody wants a "profesionally" made adapter ("profesionally" is misspelled) Smile

I have doubt you will recoup the cost of conversion. Nikon mount will adapt to significant more cameras than other mounts. I do not understand how spending time selling separate is more work than converting mounts?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen vintage Petri to M42 adapters on ebay recently for around $30.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PETRI-BAYONET-MOUNT-to-PENTAX-M42-SCREW-MOUNT-METAL-LENS-AND-ACCESSORY-ADAPTER-/171266860778?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item27e04ce6ea

New adapters made for a few models of cropped sensor cameras go for about $45-50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Petri-Petriflex-Breech-Lock-Mount-to-Sony-E-NEX-A7R-FS100-mount-Adapter-/181515057691?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item2a4323fa1b

This seller also offers Petriflex adapters for Samsung, Fuji, Lumix, etc.

It might be easier to provide that information to the buyer than to guess which adapter might be most marketable and try to produce/provide one on your own.

Good luck with your sale.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Existing Petri to M42 adapters can't provide infinity focus, while converted to Canon/Sony lens can. Conversion to M42 can be technically made, but cost will be too much. The idea why I have to sell them as one lot, is the fixed postage price, which is rounded to 1kg, and equals $49 for 1kg. So there will be 1 lens or 3 - postage will be the same.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about conversion to T2 mount?!

Of course 3 minutes after listing some Petri fanatic will berate you for ruining rare lenses, then buy them anyway because already own a T2-Petri adapter... Laughing

Serious, I think best idea is to leave old warez as-is.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not possible.

Register distance of these lens is shorter than register distance of Nikon or T2, so even if mechanical conversion is possible, there will be no infinity focus. Conversion to M42 is possible, but not for all models. Petri lenses come with either flat pin or round pin. Round pin ones can be converted with ease, flat pin ones require too much machine rework.

Speaking in general, 55/1.4 has nice sharpness, better than Mamiya/Sekor 55/1.4. But it also has blooming effect @ 1.4, more pronounced, than other lens of same era.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd sell them along with the adapter. Petri isn't a common mount but adapters are available to use them on other cameras. Petri collectors will want them in the native mount.