Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax SLR: which one?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite, from the RTS, 139, 159MM & 167MT has been the 159, it's compact with traditional controls, manual wind, TTL flash at 1/250 and a 1/4000 top shutter speed. It just feels right I the hand.

I also have a soft spot for the Yashica FR-I and prefer it to the RTS.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryreid wrote:
My favourite, from the RTS, 139, 159MM & 167MT has been the 159, it's compact with traditional controls, manual wind, TTL flash at 1/250 and a 1/4000 top shutter speed. It just feels right I the hand.

I also have a soft spot for the Yashica FR-I and prefer it to the RTS.

The known fault with the Fr-1 is the frame counter, I'd avoid this camera if it looks well used.

http://cdegroot.com/photo-yashica/fr1-repair/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Excalibur"]
barryreid wrote:

The known fault with the Fr-1 is the frame counter, I'd avoid this camera if it looks well used.

http://cdegroot.com/photo-yashica/fr1-repair/

Even if it's immaculate the frame counter is unlikely to work. I've had about 3 or 4 FR series bodies while building my lens kit. None has had a working frame counter!

I'd also have to admit my experience of the RTS is coloured by the fact it's the only camera I've owned that has completely failed on me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Yashica FR1 gear Reply with quote

I was GIVEN a Yashica FR1 with three lenses and you're RIGHT -- the Frame Counter is stuck on 'S' and I have to guess how many frames I've taken !! Also, the camera had been 'banged' on the pentaprism but otherwise it works OK and lenses are sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we talk about a solid body, good with heavy lenses, i recommend the contax RX.
but smaller bodies Aria have all modern features, and the mechanical shutter contax S2 are great.
the RTSII is quite heavy, classic design like the RTS, but huge view finder Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gens,

Finally got 2 Contax bodies: 2 Contax 167MT - It worth the lesson that says when you do not want an item an bid just for fun you'll win it!
The cameras are here, just looking at me and asking me when I'll have some lenses and 35mm film to get out and use it. But it will have to wait, now I'm spending spare money to fit the minimum requirements to play with the Sinar F2 - new WA lenses, Sinar shutter, etc...

Thanks,

Renato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most expensive what you can afford Smile I have cheap ones RTS and Yashica something, I shoot every two years with them once so cover my needs, higher priced better usually, this is why I did suggest most expensive what you can afford, my RTS have shameful look .. peal off cover..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 139Q and ST. ST is better almost all aspect but I like 139Q much more. 139Q has the lightest and biggest viewfinder (Contax). A pleasure to use it.