Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Condensation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Condensation Reply with quote

I'm just back from a holiday in sunny Italy. Or rather, overcast, thunderstormy and torrential rain Italy.

One day, it was raining so bad that I had to switch out my 40mm Ultron because of blurry results; the front element was smeary from repeated wiping with a lens cloth. I used a 20mm and a 135mm for the next hour or so Smile

That evening in the hotel, I found that my Ultron was a bit misty inside, looked like condensation in the lens. I dried it off with the hairdyer in the hotel until the lens was toasty warm and looked to be thoroughly dry. The condensation went away, did not return when the lens cooled down and has seemingly not returned.

Should I be worried and should I do anything else for the lens? I certainly don't want to disassemble it and risk throwing the optics out of alignment, on the other hand I don't want it turning into a fungus farm either.

(Photos from the trip may show up later, if I find anything from the high-iso, slow speed photos worth sharing).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By drying it off ASAP, you've probably done all you can - I'd keep an eye on the lens rather than disturbing it as you might not find anything fungus related at this stage anyway.

Replace the front lens cap with a cheap UV/Skylight fiter and store the lens in a dry area to monitor it - you could also try pre-empting fungus formation by placing tinfoil at the rear of the lens and sticking the whole lot on a windowsill whenever (Ha!) there's any sunlight.

Last edited by bob955i on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd put it in a plastics bag with a couple of fresh silica bags for a while, just to make sure that all moisture is gone.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Store right always , in dry place , without caps to get enough lights throw and I think don't need to worry.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, folks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, I live in an area that is nearly constantly shrouded in mist and moisture. My lenses are always condensing...and of course I wrap them up to bring inside, and store them dry and warm.

I THINK that having condensation inside for short periods of time won't "grow" fungus...I'm thinking that they are okay as long as they are not damp for longer periods of time.

Also, when I take trips out to the coast and into the rain forest, there is no way I can keep moisture out while they are in use by me, other than having plastic bags handy in my car for when I quit photographing at the end of the day.

I THINK it might take a bit of time being constantly moist, for the fungus to take hold and multiply, as I don't have the problem (so far).