Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Concave lenses list
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Concave lenses list Reply with quote

I wish there would be one. I owned Zeiss Ultron and Schneider-Kreuznach Optivaron both having strong concave front element. Google returns CANON FD 2/35mm. Do you know of any other?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one: CV Ultron 35/1.7 Aspherical (L-mount)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica SUMMICRON-M 1:2/28mm ASPH
Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1,4 ASPH
Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH
LEICA SUMMILUX-M 24mm f/1.4 ASPH (but maybe is the front element only flat)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the canon 35 if anyone wants it---to many 35s now.

Sharp and only mildly radioactive.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asahi Pentax Ultra-Achromatic Takumar 4.5/85mm
http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail_sl.php?ObjektiveNr=239
Zeiss UV-Sonnar 4.3/105mm http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail_sl.php?ObjektiveNr=301 and
Nikon UV-Nikkor 4.5/105mm http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail_sl.php?ObjektiveNr=298

(c) Marco Cavina

Have bi-concave front elements too.

If you consider the OPTIVARON (concave, but not biconcave)
http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/pdf/variogon_super8.pdf
then you could add about all retrofocus lenses and fisheyes!!

So I guess what you really meant was a biconcave front element??

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for additions to the list. Klaus: i was just interested in lenses having concave side of front glass turned outward.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I thought so. These are called biconcave lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlnder SC Skopar 28mm f/3.5 - and the same might go for more of the series

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Contax G Vario Sonnar 35-70/3.5-5.6, I noticed something odd about it and now I check the lens diagram.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biconcave front element is a characteristic typical of UV-VIS-IR focusing lenses, or it is just a characteristic of a particular optical scheme ? I mean: do all the UV-VIS-IR lenses have a biconcave front element (to avoid focus shift between the three bands of light) ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
The biconcave front element is a characteristic typical of UV-VIS-IR focusing lenses, or it is just a characteristic of a particular optical scheme ? I mean: do all the UV-VIS-IR lenses have a biconcave front element (to avoid focus shift between the three bands of light) ?

No, not all, I think design engineers just copied, ehem borrowed the idea and used it to achieve their goals. The Sodern UV-VIS-NIR lenses for instance have a very different design. Russian lenses like the UFAR type also have different design.

That biconcave front element works (amongst other effects) also as a field flattener element, which could also be placed close to the end of the focus (Piazzy Smith invented that).

Dr W A Tronnier (who designed the ULTRON) won a bet since he claimed that he could make such a lens with biconcave front element, so the ULTRON was born out of a bet (which he of course won)!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: another: Reply with quote

leitz-schneider cinegon 10mm f 1,8 in M.mount covering super-8 (and giving a circular picture on an MFT)

p.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

No, not all, I think design engineers just copied, ehem borrowed the idea and used it to achieve their goals. The Sodern UV-VIS-NIR lenses for instance have a very different design. Russian lenses like the UFAR type also have different design.

That biconcave front element works (amongst other effects) also as a field flattener element, which could also be placed close to the end of the focus (Piazzy Smith invented that).

Dr W A Tronnier (who designed the ULTRON) won a bet since he claimed that he could make such a lens with biconcave front element, so the ULTRON was born out of a bet (which he of course won)!

Thanks, Master Wink ...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

har har Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weak concave :

NIKKOR-S Auto 5cm f/2 lens
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/nikkor/n02_e.htm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-hexanon 35/2

Is this a common theme for 35mm RF lens?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
M-hexanon 35/2

Is this a common theme for 35mm RF lens?

Nice one, good to know. Sure theme is ok.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some diagrams :

Konica M-Hexanon 35/2,0

Voigtlander Ultron 35/1,7 aspherical

Leica Summilux 35/1,4 ASPH

(M-Hexanon : http://www.dg77.net/photo/leicaM/hexanon35.htm#formula )

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:47 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
OK, I thought so. These are called biconcave lenses.

Surely biconcave elements are concave on both sides. The concave side of a meniscus lens or plano concave lens could be outermost and still meet Pancolart's requirement. I don't know of any lens designs that do this, so they may in practice all be biconcave...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new D FA* Pentax 85mm 1.4 also has a concave front element
Pentaxforums.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
Bi-concave front element. Regardless of Autofocus, APS-C.

Fujifilm XF 50mm f1 WR lens.

https://fujifilm-x.com/x-summit-london-2020/

Is it just me that find that group of four possibly cemented lens elements intriguing? I don't know of any other lens that has it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very unusual to use a cemented quadruplet. Manufacturing cost increases enormously when cementing more than 2 lens elements due to the precision alignment required, while anti-reflection coating of separated elements is usually cheaper. But, it's the only way to fit a lot of glass into a small space and for such a special lens, cost is no object for its customers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one is the Nikon Z 50mm f/1.8 S (though it looks like it's got a doublet up front).