Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete off-topic but...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Complete off-topic but... Reply with quote

It just arrived so please don't mind a little dust... Is this lens any good?
If yes, any ideas on how to use it in MF mode? What I'm thinking is re-wiring the two buttons to control focus. But, not sure if I'll be able to do such a barbaric thing...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's years since i've seen one of these, but I think all you do to work in manual focus is to set the Auto Focus switch to off . . . unless the focusing mount is jammed !

Constant f2.8 aperture 35~70 zooms are quite rare, so it'll be good to see what sort of results you get from it. Good luck with it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen,

Focusing does work, does not look like it is jammed, but you have to turn the motor while focusing. The manual says its OK to manual focus this lens, but I still doubt it. Unless there is a clutch mechanism in this lens, I would not force turn the motor that much.
Autofocusing with this camera and lens is a chore I must say. The good things about the camera:
- focus confirm on manual lenses.
- mechanical shutter fires at 1/125 even if batteries are dead.
Quite a unique combination, isn't it?

So the question remains, is there a [B]clutch mechanism[B] for manual focusing in SMC AF ZOOM 35-70/2.8?

I'll put a film through the camera with this lens and post my findings.