Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comparison of 85mm (and 90mm) lenses on A7R II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Comparison of 85mm (and 90mm) lenses on A7R II Reply with quote

Inspired by a recent discussion on portrait lenses I've compared my 85 mm lenses all at their largest aperture to show the differences in contrast and out of focus rendering (bokeh).

As usual all shots RAW at ISO 100 without any further manipulation (except correction of white balance). Just downsized and converted in LR6.
Distance to object was 2 m and focus was set manually to the red rose in the middle. All pictures are clickable for best quality viewing.

#1 Minolta AF 85mm/F1.4 G

#2 Minolta MC 85mm/F1.7 (version MC II)

#3 Pentax Super-Takumar 85mm/F1.9

#4 LZOS Jupiter-9 85mm/F2.0 (1963 version in LTM/M39 from Lytkarino Optical Glass Factory)

Additionally some 90 mm shots all W.O. at F2.8:

#5 Leitz Elmarit 90mm/F2.8

#6 Tamron SP AF 90mm/F2.8 macro

#7 Minolta AF 80-200mm/F2.8 H.S. APO G at 90mm/F2.8

Comments are welcome.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For portraits, I'd be sorely tempted to pick that soft Takumar, particularly with pixel counts being as high as they now are. Has anyone pixel peeped a pin sharp portrait of a model lately? Clumpy mascara, make-up looking like flaking skin, and of course every physical imperfection writ large across the screen. The other lenses are sharp enough for other uses certainly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

I'm surprized by the huge difference in colour character between the Takumar and the Jupiter! I didnt expect the J9 to be this punchy in that area! (I only used it on a monochrome sensor, so I rally didn't know)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I'm tempted by the Jupiter 9.. it's mentioned everywhere..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
For portraits, I'd be sorely tempted to pick that soft Takumar, particularly with pixel counts being as high as they now are. Has anyone pixel peeped a pin sharp portrait of a model lately? Clumpy mascara, make-up looking like flaking skin, and of course every physical imperfection writ large across the screen. The other lenses are sharp enough for other uses certainly.

Indeed, it's softness has some advantages for portraits compared to the other lenses and if needed, contrast may be pushed in PP anyway.

Sjak wrote:
I'm surprized by the huge difference in colour character between the Takumar and the Jupiter! I didnt expect the J9 to be this punchy in that area! (I only used it on a monochrome sensor, so I rally didn't know)

vanylapep wrote:
I'm tempted by the Jupiter 9.. it's mentioned everywhere..

Well, the Jupiter-9 is certainly one of the cheapest options (by far the cheapest lens in this comparison) and not bad at all. However, you have to be aware that for more critical light conditions the usage of a proper lens hood is highly recommended as this lens is prone to flare.
I'm using this rubber type for outdoor shootings:

For me the biggest surprise is the performance of the Minolta zoom lens as it's on the same level like very good primes. It's simply a fantastic lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:

My Jupiter-9s have lovely, vibrant color.

The overall character of the images they produce is wonderful. It's a subjective assessment, but to me the qualities of the Jupiter-9 are exceptionally well-balanced.

They're also very simple and easy to use.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

My Jupiter-9s have lovely, vibrant color.

The overall character of the images they produce is wonderful. It's a subjective assessment, but to me the qualities of the Jupiter-9 are exceptionally well-balanced.

They're also very simple and easy to use.

I would say it's quite usable, not only for portraits: